Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbdavies)
    At least you get a beer though. Constitutional reform in the UK has always been a little slow moving, which is exactly why we need to seize this chance at it. It's not PR by any means but it's a step in the right direction (ish).
    However, as I pointed out a couple of weeks ago, the fact that constitutional reform is so slow moving in the UK means we'll be stuck with a system which nobody, not even most of those who support Yes to AV want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I want to go to the Red Lion. I DONT WANT ANY OTHER PUB. However, under AV I would still be forced to go to a pub I don't want to go for.

Let's get something straight - AV is ****.

If we change the electoral system let's at least have something like AMS or STV (AMS being my preferred out of the two)
    You're saying you're indifferent between going to the Queen's Head and going for a coffee. Pull the other one. Besides, you might not be forced to go to another pub, the Red Lion has far more chance of winning here under AV than FPTP.

AV is a bit ****, yes, but FPTP is far, far ****ter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbdavies)
    At least you get a beer though. Constitutional reform in the UK has always been a little slow moving, which is exactly why we need to seize this chance at it. It's not PR by any means but it's a step in the right direction (ish).
    It was merely a point that AV still gives me a candidate I don't want. If I wanted them, I would have voted for them. The idea that the candidate gets 50% of the vote is quite a fallacy. Because they aren't getting 50% of the vote in the sense that people want them, more than people are indifferent.

I would have no problem with AMS as the electoral system; assuming other reforms occured, however, I consider AV the worst system of the lot.

(Original post by jesusandtequila)
    You're saying you're indifferent between going to the Queen's Head and going for a coffee. Pull the other one. Besides, you might not be forced to go to another pub, the Red Lion has far more chance of winning here under AV than FPTP.

AV is a bit ****, yes, but FPTP is far, far ****ter.
    Above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    It was merely a point that AV still gives me a candidate I don't want. If I wanted them, I would have voted for them. The idea that the candidate gets 50% of the vote is quite a fallacy. Because they aren't getting 50% of the vote in the sense that people want them, more than people are indifferent.
    You're committing the fallacy of thinking AV is approval voting. It's not, it's preferential. They need to get 50% of the vote given that only these people are standing - after the least popular are knocked out. They get 50% of the vote in the sense that more people want them than x, y or z - and since voting is preferential, not approval - I don't see your issue.

I would have no problem with AMS as the electoral system; assuming other reforms occured, however, I consider AV the worst system of the lot.
    What advantages do you consider FPTP to have above AV?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ear-taunt.html

Oh dear God... This is why the Labour Party front bench should be shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    You're committing the fallacy of thinking AV is approval voting. It's not, it's preferential. They need to get 50% of the vote given that only these people are standing - after the least popular are knocked out. They get 50% of the vote in the sense that more people want them than x, y or z - and since voting is preferential, not approval - I don't see your issue.
    You brought up one yourself in that it isn't a vote for the most able rather a vote against someone else. Second best votes for the second best candidate.

What advantages do you consider FPTP to have above AV?
    Not necessarily the advantages of FPTP but rather the inherent unfairness of AV. As Jenkins said, disturbingly unfair. I don't like the idea of AV at all that someones third or fourth preference counts as much as their first.

At least with FPTP the person with the most first preferences wins and at least with semi proportional systems, a greater deal of people are elected which means peoples first preferences are electing them.

AV is half arsed in that sense.

ReputationRep:
    Will someone please explain what Donald Trump thinks he's accomplished?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Nothing, its an exercise to court the tea party/right of the republican party. I didn't think the republicans would ever be able to find a worse candidate than sarah palin.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    Nothing, its an exercise to court the tea party/right of the republican party. I didn't think the republicans would ever be able to find a worse candidate than sarah palin.....
    Trump is more competent than Palin. At least he has achieved something, other than stupidity, what has Palin achieved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    Oh i know he's accomplished nothing but he seem pretty pleased with himself and i don't quite understand why.

ReputationRep:
    Oh i know he's accomplished nothing but he seem pretty pleased with himself and i don't quite understand why.
    Hes a massive ****?

ReputationRep:
    He thinks that he's personally responsible for getting Obama's birth certificate released - which isn't surprising coming from the most slithery, vile, egotistical man on the planet. I'd rather have Sarah Palin as president than him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    He thinks that he's personally responsible for getting Obama's birth certificate released - which isn't surprising coming from the most slithery, vile, egotistical man on the planet. I'd rather have Sarah Palin as president than him.
    Yeah but Palin's a ****wit... although, she is brilliant on foreign policy. She is absolutely right that we should support our north korean allies and due to her close proximity to Russia, who knows more than her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I don't see what the big deal is with Obama's birth certificate - it says he was born in Honalulu. In Hawaii. In the USA. And people still claim he's not American...

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I don't see what the big deal is with Obama's birth certificate - it says he was born in Honalulu. In Hawaii. In the USA. And people still claim he's not American...
    He has a Kenyan father... and he's black* :ninja:

*Not being racist just making a joke as Americans still aren't really ready for a black president... despite having one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Well, this is the second time he's released it. He previously released the short certificate, which some people believed was forged. So he had to get his full certificate, which the state of Hawaii rarely allow people copies of.

No doubt people will use this to accuse him of infringing states' rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    However, as I pointed out a couple of weeks ago, the fact that constitutional reform is so slow moving in the UK means we'll be stuck with a system which nobody, not even most of those who support Yes to AV want.
    And why's that then?

ReputationRep:
    This...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2XZVeLbfXQ

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear how fake does this look. Wrestling is fake and we all know it, but this takes the piss:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.