Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    And why's that then?
    I'm just taking history as an example.

It seems major electoral reform takes around 80 odd years to occur in this country. So it's possible we'd have AV for a literal lifetime, which I doubt anyone wants. Either way the referendum goes, we're not going to see a change to the electoral system for a long, long time. And as I consider AV an inferior system to FPTP, I'd rather have to be stuck with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    I'm just taking history as an example.

It seems major electoral reform takes around 80 odd years to occur in this country. So it's possible we'd have AV for a literal lifetime, which I doubt anyone wants. Either way the referendum goes, we're not going to see a change to the electoral system for a long, long time. And as I consider AV an inferior system to FPTP, I'd rather have to be stuck with that.
    So AV is fine to elect the London Mayor but not any of the MPs in London? This is the thing. In reality, a lot of us - particularly in areas which are devolved - have been using lots of different electoral systems for years now so the idea of changing the voting system isn't really that problematic. If a move beyond FPTP is good enough for people in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and London ... why exactly is it not good enough for England? I'm still not sure of the reasons for that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I want to go to the Red Lion. I DONT WANT ANY OTHER PUB. However, under AV I would still be forced to go to a pub I don't want to go for.

Let's get something straight - AV is ****.

If we change the electoral system let's at least have something like AMS or STV (AMS being my preferred out of the two)
    You seem to have missed the point.

Also yes, those two are actually good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    You seem to have missed the point.

Also yes, those two are actually good.
    AMS is not that great. It's what we have for the Welsh Assembly and it ensures that parties like the Tories and Lib Dems have inflated representation for no really good reason other than if you take all the loser votes together from South Wales Central it gives the Tories a couple of seats. It also detaches the list members from the constituencies. I have never met the List AMs for South Wales Central whereas I know my Constituency AM very well. Admittedly the List AMs are Tory and Plaid and Chris is Labour but still.

As the ERS says:

Having two different types of representative creates animosity between them. In Wales and Scotland, for example, AMs and MSPs elected via the regional lists have been seen as having 'got in via the backdoor' or as 'assisted place' or 'second class' members. This is especially marked in Wales, where Labour has no list AMs.

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/article.php?id=53

Oh, and reading the ERS's website, apparently Ireland uses AV for by-elections and to elect the Irish President. So that makes four countries that use AV then eh NO to AV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    AMS is not that great. It's what we have for the Welsh Assembly and it ensures that parties like the Tories and Lib Dems have inflated representation for no really good reason other than if you take all the loser votes together from South Wales Central it gives the Tories a couple of seats. It also detaches the list members from the constituencies. I have never met the List AMs for South Wales Central whereas I know my Constituency AM very well. Admittedly the List AMs are Tory and Plaid and Chris is Labour but still.

As the ERS says:

Having two different types of representative creates animosity between them. In Wales and Scotland, for example, AMs and MSPs elected via the regional lists have been seen as having 'got in via the backdoor' or as 'assisted place' or 'second class' members. This is especially marked in Wales, where Labour has no list AMs.

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/article.php?id=53

Oh, and reading the ERS's website, apparently Ireland uses AV for by-elections and to elect the Irish President. So that makes four countries that use AV then eh NO to AV?
    true, true.

ReputationRep:
    The ERS cynically removed the negatives of AV from their website. Cheeky *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaran-j)
    Not until PSN comes back on-line. You can't even do it via playstation.com
    how fun, I doubt i'll have a ps3 now till i go back home in the summer, more cause me to moan at sony

I want to go to the Red Lion. I DONT WANT ANY OTHER PUB. However, under AV I would still be forced to go to a pub I don't want to go for.

Let's get something straight - AV is ****.

If we change the electoral system let's at least have something like AMS or STV (AMS being my preferred out of the two)
    i see you wrote about how, AV still gives me a candidate I don't want, nor does FPTP really, I would voted for The Green man, don't want coffee, but thats what I got, but I could of listed I want The Green Man but I'm ok with The Red Lion, and Red Lion wins

I don't see the tories or labour wanting to change the way we vote any time soon once AV fails because the NO campaign have been playing on fear

Donald Trump is a bell-end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Donald Trump is a bell-end.
    Well I hope he's happy now he's had a result in the biggest non-story of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Well I hope he's happy now he's had a result in the biggest non-story of the year.
    I dunno, there was a pretty big chance that Obama wasn't American. I mean seriously his name gives it away. Barack Hussein Obama. Clearly he lied about being a Christian. Obviously his birth documents are forged.

I mean seriously, you cannot make this stuff up.

-------------------
    I hope the sarcasm is apparent.

Barack Hussein Obama... Clearly he lied about being a Christian.
    This I believe he most definitely lied about as on a trip to Saudi Arabia he did the whole Muslim prayer thing, the whole shabang... although I am unsure if he did it in Arabic though.

Still why would a Christian do the Muslim prayers? I'll tell you why, it is because they are not Christian.

Unless you in fact meant this, I couldn't detect the sarcasm

For a horrifying moment it wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    Wow my conspiracy comments are that convincing?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh Pikachu, what have they done to you?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, there was a pretty big chance that Obama wasn't American. I mean seriously his name gives it away. Barack Hussein Obama. Clearly he lied about being a Christian. Obviously his birth documents are forged.

I mean seriously, you cannot make this stuff up.

-------------------
    *did not see last line until late in day*

Damn it, Tea :p:

ReputationRep:
    how about this one

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I was like WTF that doesn't sound like him! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)

these a reason to vote yes

Crap argument as coffee would never be an option in the first place :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. Back at Uni, got given a 2,2, it's sunny.

I don't want to work.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.