Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I don't think Osama's death will really make much an impact in combating global terrorism, there's plenty of other people who can and probably will take over. We've now got to brace ourselves for a possible new wave of terror attacks against us, because there's a lot of extremely pissed off extremists out there. Osama's death is mainly symbolic. Terrorism is not defeated yet.
    Aye. The nuclear bomb thing is a bit crazy, especially because it explicitly mentioned Europe, and with 2012 coming up we're not in a good place.

Bloody glad wikileaks has kept us updated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by paperclip)
    Aye. The nuclear bomb thing is a bit crazy, especially because it explicitly mentioned Europe, and with 2012 coming up we're not in a good place.

Bloody glad wikileaks has kept us updated.
    Nuclear bomb?! Christ! Haven't heard of that - I'm just out of bed ffs!

Certainly a lot been going on this year. We've had rebellions across the Middle East and Africa, NATO trying to topple the Gaddafi regime, massive rise in tuition fees and massive demonstrations against cuts, and a referendum on how our democracy works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Nuclear bomb?! Christ! Haven't heard of that - I'm just out of bed ffs!

Certainly a lot been going on this year. We've had rebellions across the Middle East and Africa, NATO trying to topple the Gaddafi regime, massive rise in tuition fees and massive demonstrations against cuts, and a referendum on how our democracy works.
    It wasn't really publicised much i don't think. Leaked documents claimed that integrated suspected warned of 'nuclear hellstorm' aimed at Europe if Obama was killed. I've seen some websites that have mentioned chemical weapons as well, but the most well known seems to be the nuclear bit.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/1400...r-bomb-now.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    It wasn't really publicised much i don't think. Leaked documents claimed that integrated suspected warned of 'nuclear hellstorm' aimed at Europe if Obama was killed. I've seen some websites that have mentioned chemical weapons as well, but the most well known seems to be the nuclear bit.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/1400...r-bomb-now.htm
    Osama*

ReputationRep:
    Its a largely symbolic death. I haven't seen any information suggesting that Osama was till commanding al queda operations. It will hurt morale more than it will hurt technically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Osama*
    Lol, what a difference a misplaced s can make!

Gimme a break, not slept in a good long while

Spoiler:
    Show
    I is building me a war shelter

ReputationRep:
    Osama's death is only really good news for Obama's election hopes, other than that it makes little difference.

Osama's death is so weird. I get up to go and get a glass of water at 4am and have the World Service on in my room and all of a sudden they're like "Oh, right, so, er Osama Bin Laden is dead". And I'm all like :lolwut:.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know they took the Bins out on a Bank Holiday...

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of the practicalities of his death, it is extremely important in terms of symbolism - the face of terror, Osama, is dead. That's a moral boost if anything else.

ReputationRep:
    I can't confess to feeling any real emotion here, finding pleasure in someone's death isn't something I'm capable of and likewise I will wish death on no person. With the 9/11 civilian death toll equalled in less than a week during the start of the USA's campaign in Afghanistan, by that logic I'd say Bush deserves to die just as much..

Obama's just won his second term though. The only real victory here is the one for PR; fancy a single person's death causing all that.

If America still exists then, lol.

ReputationRep:
    There have been rumours of his death since 2001, after an accidental Coalition airstrike (wrong place) took out a previously unknown terrorist camp.
    Also 2001-2 when inter-tribal conflicts are said to have resulted in the deaths of several ...high-rankers, including Bin Laden
    Its also said that in 2003-ish, the SBS has the opportunity to either capture or assassinate Bin Laden, but were denied because the Yanks wanted to do it themselves.
    Add that he also had serious medical illnesses, and was known to use body doubles...The 'plot' thickens...
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist nut, honest!
    But, I'm not going to lie, this is the first ever to gain my interest. Because lets be honest, Obama is a politician. What do politicians do? Lie to further their own interests and strenghthen their own positions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anony mouse)
    I didn't know they took the Bins out on a Bank Holiday...
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Osama Bin Laden is dead. Terrorism is not.
    It's a symbolic victory, but it might actually make Al-Qaeda more determined than ever.

ReputationRep:
    I really need to draft a new budget for this economic crisis, this cuts simply aren't working.

'George Osbourne'

(Original post by bun)
    There have been rumours of his death since 2001, after an accidental Coalition airstrike (wrong place) took out a previously unknown terrorist camp.
    Also 2001-2 when inter-tribal conflicts are said to have resulted in the deaths of several ...high-rankers, including Bin Laden
    Its also said that in 2003-ish, the SBS has the opportunity to either capture or assassinate Bin Laden, but were denied because the Yanks wanted to do it themselves.
    Add that he also had serious medical illnesses, and was known to use body doubles...The 'plot' thickens...
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist nut, honest!
    But, I'm not going to lie, this is the first ever to gain my interest. Because lets be honest, Obama is a politician. What do politicians do? Lie to further their own interests and strenghthen their own positions...
    On none of those occasions did the president announce his death. Is Obama really going to risk the re-appearance of Bin Laden after they've announced his death? I think not. Obama was obviously going to make sure he was actually 100% dead before saying so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    On none of those occasions did the president announce his death. Is Obama really going to risk the re-appearance of Bin Laden after they've announced his death? I think not. Obama was obviously going to make sure he was actually 100% dead before saying so.
    I know I know, I'm not that stupid... I was merely trying to stir
    Though I still think it is silly, to announce his death straight away. Have him killed for a while, prepare security for when the news breaks, then announce it.

ReputationRep:
    They would have found him a lot quicker if they'd just checked Google Earth...

:tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    They would have found him a lot quicker if they'd just checked Google Earth...

:tongue:
    "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."
    Damn

(Original post by bun)
    I know I know, I'm not that stupid... I was merely trying to stir
    Though I still think it is silly, to announce his death straight away. Have him killed for a while, prepare security for when the news breaks, then announce it.
    I thought that was what happened, when exactly did they kill him?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.