Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elli_emc)
    Isn't it all Natwest in Scotland and all RBS in England & Wales?
    Ah, you're right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Ah, you're right.
    Made me very, very worried when I first read it, but it's going to be a pain for me - I'm a Natwest customer living in Scotland until 2013 at least, but my 'local' branch is still back in England. At least internet / phone banking with Natwest is pretty good.

Their muzak sucks though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elli_emc)
    Made me very, very worried when I first read it, but it's going to be a pain for me - I'm a Natwest customer living in Scotland until 2013 at least, but my 'local' branch is still back in England. At least internet / phone banking with Natwest is pretty good.

Their muzak sucks though.
    I'm an RBS customer, but it's private banking, and I only deal with them online, so I should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I think you have missed the point. Look, regardless of what you tried to achieve, the legislation itself is terrible: it's vague, doesn't detail and thing and is more akin to a wish than legislation.

It just says the Treasury should create a formula, wow amazing.
    Well, first off it doesn't just say that. It also outlines what the formula should be for and makes changes to the tax system.

Secondly, no one claimed it was ground-breaking or amazing in its provisions only that it was a better way of providing welfare than is currently being used.

Thirdly I call bull**** on your "vagueness" claim. A test: Would you vote for the PAA again if instead of calling for the Treasury to make a formula it included a complete list of all items deemed necessary? That way it is no longer vague and future discussions about welfare can be simply a matter of adding something to that list. If you would vote for such a Bill then all well and good, I'll work on it and submit it and expect your support. If you would still not vote for it then I think we can put aside your complaint about vagueness.

EDIT: Here is a link to the full budget listings from the original research: http://www.minimumincomestandard.org...get_sheets.htm
    It goes through everything needed eg that a single male needs to spend 95p a week on apples or that a single female needs £8.52 a week for eating out. If the PAA included a copy and paste of that list would you have voted for it?

Holy **** I just stumbled across a magazine that is printed by Al Qaeda :eek: it is pretty weird imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Holy **** I just stumbled across a magazine that is printed by Al Qaeda :eek: it is pretty weird imo.
    OK! must really be getting desperate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    Well, first off it doesn't just say that. It also outlines what the formula should be for and makes changes to the tax system.

Secondly, no one claimed it was ground-breaking or amazing in its provisions only that it was a better way of providing welfare than is currently being used.

Thirdly I call bull**** on your "vagueness" claim. A test: Would you vote for the PAA again if instead of calling for the Treasury to make a formula it included a complete list of all items deemed necessary? That way it is no longer vague and future discussions about welfare can be simply a matter of adding something to that list. If you would vote for such a Bill then all well and good, I'll work on it and submit it and expect your support. If you would still not vote for it then I think we can put aside your complaint about vagueness.

EDIT: Here is a link to the full budget listings from the original research: http://www.minimumincomestandard.org...get_sheets.htm
    It goes through everything needed eg that a single male needs to spend 95p a week on apples or that a single female needs £8.52 a week for eating out. If the PAA included a copy and paste of that list would you have voted for it?
    It's a pile of crap. At least the most recent Libertarian bill was well drafted and detailed. That is often the case with Libertarian bills, but at least it was comprehensive. Your bill wasn't fantastic at all - it was pointlessly vague, it didn't give any indication to what the formula should be.

If you put it forward again I would vote it down in a second. Read the Libertarian welfare bill - now that's a bill.

ReputationRep:
    Man shaves for the first time since 9/11

(Original post by Nothos)
    OK! must really be getting desperate...
    :lol: but seriously it is weird... but at least I know how to make a bomb now from household items :cool:

I'd link to it but I'm unsure of the rules regarding this.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm told YVQt was a waste of time for all watching. Worth me iPlayering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Well it's entirely about AV and is no deeper than any of the debates going on in Current Affairs on here.

Starkey shouts shut up a lot as well.

ReputationRep:
    It never is tbf.

ReputationRep:
    Read the Libertarian welfare bill - now that's a bill.
    :cool:

Still not enough to get your vote, though.

ReputationRep:
    It's a pile of crap. At least the most recent Libertarian bill was well drafted and detailed. That is often the case with Libertarian bills, but at least it was comprehensive. Your bill wasn't fantastic at all - it was pointlessly vague, it didn't give any indication to what the formula should be.

If you put it forward again I would vote it down in a second. Read the Libertarian welfare bill - now that's a bill.
    Did you deliberately ignore my third point or are you just not willing to admit that even if the Act had included a painstaking listing of every good and service that the welfare payments would cover you would still moan and ***** about it and that your opposition really has nothing to do with "vagueness"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)

Possibly the best thing ever.
    :lol: I hadn't seen that up until just now.
    How very random.
    It's got a rather South Park style to it.

(Original post by xXedixXx)
    I'm with Barclays, very good, no problems.
    Likewise.
    I have been with Barclays for a few years now, and before that I was with "The Woolwich" before it was taken over by the former. To date I haven't had any major issues with Barclays.
    Not really any minor issues either come to think of it.

ReputationRep:
    I type into Google News "Pippa Middleton" and the first result is "Pippa Middleton Arse."

Awesome
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I type into Google News "Pippa Middleton" and the first result is "Pippa Middleton Arse."

Awesome
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pippa-...83120471735513

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad that I got vaguely excited when I got to cite a book that is over a century older than me?
    You get used to it. Also, if you happen to be looking at a lot of late-nineteenth / early twentieth century political literature, it's worth searching the text archive of this place wherein you can find early Labour Party publications (mostly) and other goodies on things like women's suffrage and social reform. The search engine is not that hot but you can find pdf version of, for example, Rowntree's 1901 report on York amongst other things. Might be of use if you get excited over such things.

http://www.archive.org/
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    :lol: I hadn't seen that up until just now.
    How very random.
    It's got a rather South Park style to it.

Likewise.
    I have been with Barclays for a few years now, and before that I was with "The Woolwich" before it was taken over by the former. To date I haven't had any major issues with Barclays.
    Not really any minor issues either come to think of it.
    I want a unicorn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    :cool:

Still not enough to get your vote, though.
    I may not have liked the contents entirely but the bill itself was well written - that's generally a trend of most Libertarian bills in my view.

(Original post by UniOfLife)
    Did you deliberately ignore my third point or are you just not willing to admit that even if the Act had included a painstaking listing of every good and service that the welfare payments would cover you would still moan and ***** about it and that your opposition really has nothing to do with "vagueness"?
    If you actually created a formula then I would accept it - but you haven't. You merely said the Treasury will create one... The Ministry of Defence will create five air craft carriers... :cool:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.