Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    What? Eddie Izzard is in favour of AV.

Wait what?

He doesn't know his history... it was the Tories who gave working men and women the vote.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna go ahead and give the No campaign the lead in making up bull**** and lying, but the Yes campaign doesn't do too badly. They could win next time around.

I went and voted, yes to AV, yes to the Elected Mayor. I'm so apathetic to local politics I spoilt my ballot. I didn't receive a single election leaflet from my local candidates so I feel pretty pissed off actually.

ReputationRep:
    Although not entirely relevant it is slightly humorous to me that in the last London Mayoral Election which uses AV Boris still got less than 50% of the vote!

ReputationRep:
    Went ahead and just put Yes then put the Green party. Both total wastes of time.

(Original post by Teaddict)
    Wait what?

He doesn't know his history... it was the Tories who gave working men and women the vote.
    :rolleyes: Oh yeah totally ideologically driven that. The Tories have never really been the champions of the working class or the feminists have they? Let's be honest.

http://www.great-yarmouth.gov.uk/cou...ouncillors.htm

This is funny it looks like they just scanned in all the councillor's bus pass photographs or really badly photoshopped their heads out of photos from the Council's Christmas do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Wait what?

The Great Reform Act was passed under the Whigs, and the Representation of the People Act was passed under the Liberals.

ReputationRep:
    Universal suffrag was something like 1928 wasn't it? I thought that was Baldwin or something but my history of the period is quite poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    The Great Reform Act was passed under the Whigs, and the Representation of the People Act was passed under the Liberals.
    Disraeli gave the vote to working men. He was a Tory I can assure you of that. Although remember that there are numerous Representation of the People Acts and many were passed by the Tories. The Reform Act 1867, if my memory serves me right, was also the work of the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    My flatmate just put "Please remember to vote! Unless you're voting no, then you can stay at home." on facebook.

They fail to see the hypocrisy.

(Original post by cambo211)
    My flatmate just put "Please remember to vote! Unless you're voting no, then you can stay at home." on facebook.

They fail to see the hypocrisy.
    It sounds like a joke to me. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't actually want to stop people voting. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    okay, I voted Yes to AV and for a Green Councillor as it was them or one of the main party twits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    It sounds like a joke to me. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't actually want to stop people voting. :holmes:
    You don't know the person saying it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I voted. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the next referendum will be on EU membership. :moon:

(Original post by Nothos)
    Hopefully the next referendum will be on EU membership. :moon:
    I'll vote a big fat Oui! to that

Haven't voted today yet though, waiting for mother to come home so we can do it together... a bit of bonding time she calls it :lol:

On a side note, looking at staying in Paris instead of London (as I have an apartment it would cut costs considerably) when I go to Uni and my god it is hard to find a Pass that covers travel on Eurostar for 5 days a week :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Need to go vote. Will do it before my lecture/after handing coursework in as the polling station on campus is right next to my lecture room.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Teaddict will finally overtake me today :awesome:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I'll vote a big fat Oui! to that

Haven't voted today yet though, waiting for mother to come home so we can do it together... a bit of bonding time she calls it :lol:

On a side note, looking at staying in Paris instead of London (as I have an apartment it would cut costs considerably) when I go to Uni and my god it is hard to find a Pass that covers travel on Eurostar for 5 days a week :cry:
    I think you have more money than sense tbh

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.