Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Question for everyone: Prohibition of drugs: success or not?
    An absolute failure.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

:teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    An absolute failure.
    That was my argument - I even started off by disregarding the civil rights argument

But yes on another forum I am trying to argue that prohibition has failed. This other guy is saying it's a success because it is lessening the availability of drugs. I respond with: but prohibition is meant to get rid of drugs - you can't claim it is a success when drugs are widely available.

Then he claims I need a comparison to the UK without prohibition? Why? I don't need a comparison to tell you prohibition has and always will fail.

ReputationRep:
    In other news, the Conservatives are so far doing quite well in the local elections.

PARTY COUNCILS +/- COUNCILLORS +/-
    CON 55 +1 1470 +37
    LAB 29 +12 1004 +339
    LD 4 -4 340 -295
    OTH 21 -9 193 -100

ReputationRep:
    BNP got raped here. All's well.

ReputationRep:
    That was my argument - I even started off by disregarding the civil rights argument
    I wouldn't do that, I'd argue it's equally important.

But yes on another forum I am trying to argue that prohibition has failed. This other guy is saying it's a success because it is lessening the availability of drugs. I respond with: but prohibition is meant to get rid of drugs - you can't claim it is a success when drugs are widely available.
    Here's a nice stat, we intercept 1% of heroin coming across our borders (from the program D.R.E. linked to) - so we're hardly lessening the availability. Hell, I walked from the tube station to my mates gig in Brixton, was offered weed 3 times. I was talking to someone while having a fag outside the pub and the guy I ended up speaking to knew hundred of dealers if I wanted. My mate lit up a spliff in Spoons beer garden and got another dealer's number because of it. Drugs are EVERYWHERE, it puzzles me when people say we're lessening the availability. No, we're just making sure the sellers are essentially funding a criminal underworld, even if the small time dealers aren't involved themselves.

Then he claims I need a comparison to the UK without prohibition? Why? I don't need a comparison to tell you prohibition has and always will fail.
    Try Portugal, where all drugs have been decriminalised, usage down, crime down, costs down. Just as we predict.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    The Conservatives have actually gained in Wales and Council seats. Fantastic.

(Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Try Portugal, where all drugs have been decriminalised, usage down, crime down, costs down. Just as we predict.
    Oh really? :holmes: my mate has been trying to get me to go there for a week or two in the sun and I have always said no but this may change my mind

As for probation working, it doesn't I can walk within a 2 minute radius of my college and there is a drug den :rolleyes: and plenty of dealers for whatever drug you seek :lol:

Police do nothing

ReputationRep:
    Oh excellent. North Norfolk - the Conservatives gained 12 councillors at the expense of the Lib Dems.
    Haha

ReputationRep:
    I feel genuinely sorry for the Lib Dems :/ At least the seats are mainly being picked up by Labour and not the tories.

ReputationRep:
    In other news, the Conservatives are so far doing quite well in the local elections.
    Heh, that's nothing compared to Labour's gain.

Oh excellent. North Norfolk - the Conservatives gained 12 councillors at the expense of the Lib Dems.
    Haha
    That's worrying for the Lib Dems, Norman Lamb is the MP there and it's firm, costal Lib Dem territory.

I can't say I was cheering on the Tories, these past few weeks has made me really disillusioned with party politics. Quite frankly I'm hoping for more Green councillors because I know that they're a decent party at their core even if I totally disagree with much of what they do.

It was a good night for the Greens in Norwich, they've been the official opposition on the council there for a while now and they gained a seat from the Lib Dems in Thorpe Hamlet and saw off the Labour challenge in Wensum and Mancroft meaning Labour have 18 seats and the Green 15. We might see Britain's first Green council in 2012 if Labour have a bad election.

ReputationRep:
    A facebook update from my MP :
    Nigel Adams M P Looking like at least 75% No to AV as the votes are verified in Selby. Happy Days!/

(Original post by cambo211)
    A facebook update from my MP :
    Nigel Adams M P Looking like at least 75% No to AV as the votes are verified in Selby. Happy Days!/
    Selby; surely the national thermometer.

I'll wait until 7pm before I start moaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Selby; surely the national thermometer.

I'll wait until 7pm before I start moaning.
    I wasn't saying it was

ReputationRep:
    I'm for AV, but don't expect it to get through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    I feel genuinely sorry for the Lib Dems :/ At least the seats are mainly being picked up by Labour and not the tories.
    When it's Lib Dem v Labour, Labour have won.
    When it's Lib Dem v Conservative, the Tories have won.

Practically ALL of the Conservative gains are at the expense of the Liberal Democrats.

(Original post by xXedixXx)
    Heh, that's nothing compared to Labour's gain.
    Not really - let's be clear, the Conservatives were predicted to lose 1000 seats and Labour were meant to gain most of it. That hasn't happened. This is, in my view, a victory for the Conservatives over Labour given the circumstances we are in.

But we haven't seen all the results yet so it may change.

ReputationRep:
    SNP has an overall majority.

There will be a referendum on Scottish Independence.

Interesting times.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.