Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by SciFiBoy)
    great to see the Greens gaining seats, they are way better than the main 3 parties
    +19 so far :yy: I disagree with their policies but I used to be a member and everyone I met was involved in the Green Party was either endearingly eccentric or genuinely enthusiastic. It's a damn good party, a damn good, wrong party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    It's pretty depressing that turn-out of between 35-50% is considered to be a really good result. In the ward next to mine it was 26%. It doesn't matter which electoral system you have if people don't turn out and vote, the candidate in that ward was actually elected by only 9.8% of people who live in that area.

There were 25,000 votes in the Elected Mayor referendum but the borough has a population of over 94,000 people. A quarter of people. Pretty shameful.
    Was just remarking this. What's worse is that many people will still call it a victory for the No campaign which emphatically proves the British like FPTP. Salmond is already acting like he's gotten 100% of the vote. Democracy in this country is disgraceful and will always be. I'm bring convinced to make voting compulsory, which I never thought I'd say.

(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Was just remarking this. What's worse is that many people will still call it a victory for the No campaign which emphatically proves the British like FPTP. Salmond is already acting like he's gotten 100% of the vote. Democracy in this country is disgraceful and will always be. I'm bring convinced to make voting compulsory, which I never thought I'd say.
    Compulsory voting won't solve the underlying issue. Low turnout is just a symptom, the problem is that British people don't give two flying figs about politics, especially local politics or the hugely uninspiring AV campaign. Heck I'm politically active but I still don't care about local politics, it's a joke, it's just a bunch of ugly, old people arguing about planning applications and sea walls.

ReputationRep:
    Quick Q for someone who may know more about the funding of the country than me:

How on earth do Scotland and Wales continue to subsidise university education and prescriptions while England can't? I know Scotland gets slightly higher funding than England as does Wales but how do these countries manage to continue such largess at the same time as everything is being cut back?

I'm watching BBC News now and Peter Hain (as much as I think he's a rather sensible Labour politician) is outright refusing that the Welsh and Scottish parliaments cut back anywhere to provide these freebies. So where on earth does the money come from to pay from them? is it totally Barnett related?

Also words can not express how much I dislike Salmond. Just listened to his victory speech and he didn't mention independence once. He's going to try to ride out his next term until the economy returns to growth and then try to take all the credit for it and hope his former love Ireland has also returned to some health. Then he'll chuck the independence referendum out there and try to win it on lies that the SNP have changed things and that the return to growth shows Scotland can work independently. Funny thing is that I'm doubtful if Scotland would even vote to seperate then. I just want the referendum over with and to kill the issue for a generation.

ReputationRep:
    Compulsory voting won't solve the underlying issue. Low turnout is just a symptom, the problem is that British people don't give two flying figs about politics, especially local politics or the hugely uninspiring AV campaign. Heck I'm politically active but I still don't care about local politics, it's a joke, it's just a bunch of ugly, old people arguing about planning applications and sea walls.
    *sigh*

You are sadly right.

Something tells me that with over 100 counnties(?) voting no so far, that AV isn't going to come in any time soon :cool:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    How does that work, it costs £7.40 per prescription (where I live anyway) or are you elsewhere? :holmes:
    Depends on where you live and your financial/medical situation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's pretty depressing that turn-out of between 35-50% is considered to be a really good result. In the ward next to mine it was 26%. It doesn't matter which electoral system you have if people don't turn out and vote, the candidate in that ward was actually elected by only 9.8% of people who live in that area.

There were 25,000 votes in the Elected Mayor referendum but the borough has a population of over 94,000 people. A quarter of people. Pretty shameful.
    27% turnout in my ward. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...n-independent/ good little article which helps partly explain my hatred of Salmond.

My town had about a 40% turn out for both the AV and elected Mayor votes. Shame they voted in completely the wrong person for elected mayor, who will kill off any regeneration efforts and lead the town deeper into stagnation.

(Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    27% turnout in my ward. :facepalm2:
    The Timelords never could be faffed with Gallifrey District Council.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The Timelords never could be faffed with Gallifrey District Council.
    Gallifreyan politics is so corrupt.

ReputationRep:
    wow 70% look to say no, looks we won't be getting electoral change in a long time

looks like my vote will go on being worth next to nothing, the joys of living in a safe seat where even in hard labour time they still got 50% of the vote

god knows what the turn out will be where i'm, guessing like 10%

ReputationRep:
    John Reid, if you really think 8 million people voted in support of FPTP rather than in opposition to AV then you're a retard.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Student2806)
    John Reid, if you really think 8 million people voted in support of FPTP rather than in opposition to AV then you're a retard.
    That's a bit strong, but I agree he's talking out of his backside.

(Original post by Student2806)
    and your MP seat should be revoked.
    He's in the Lords.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    He's in the Lords.
    Oh, I must have missed that :erm: Oh well, he should have his peerage revoked then. Because he clearly can't read

BALLOTAt present, the UK uses the ‘first past the post’ system to elect MPs to the House of Commons. Should the ‘alternative vote’ system be used instead?

ReputationRep:
    71% vote no in my home constituency. AFAIK my uni constituency's result is in yet.

ReputationRep:
    Next referendum:

At present, the UK uses the ‘first past the post’ system to elect MPs to the House of Commons. Should the ‘TSR MHoC’ system be used instead?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Breaking News: Conservatives take The Commons Bar Mk IV
    Finally.

Now I decide whether to be annoying and spam ahead of you by a few hundred seats again XD
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So. No vote it is
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's official, the United Kingdom votes No to the Alternative Vote.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.