Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The BBC election coverage tonight has made me want to hurt people. So much crap being spewed out.

...And now Margaret Beckett and Jack Straw join in with the 'the people have chosen FPTP so let's forget about electoral reform' claptrap. I despair :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    John Reid, if you really think 8 million people voted in support of FPTP rather than in opposition to AV then you're a retard.
    Nearly everyone I know who voted against AV did so because they saw no problem with FPTP not because of an opposition to both AV and FPTP. I don't see the logic in anyone voting against it for another reason. You wouldn't vote against it because you want PR because AV being defeated so massively is going to wipe out electoral reform as a discussion point for a generation.

So yes John Reid was right, unless we have 8/9 million people in support of PR who are mad enough to destroy AV and thus any chances of PR simply because AV isn't good enough for them, which we don't. Just get over it, electoral reform lost. FPTP does us and most of the rest of the world just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    The BBC election coverage tonight has made me want to hurt people. So much crap being spewed out.

...And now Margaret Beckett and Jack Straw join in with the 'the people have chosen FPTP so let's forget about electoral reform' claptrap. I despair :sigh:
    You can only blame the Lib-Dems for settling for a referendum on AV instead of PR. AV would have made very little difference and that's why people were pretty apathetic towards this debate.They deserved the Kickin the took.

ReputationRep:
    This entire thing is a joke.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    This entire thing is a joke.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so angry at the AV vote.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Don John)
    I'm so angry at the AV vote.
    I can understand you being disappointed, but angry? The public got what they voted for.

ReputationRep:
    No vote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    How so?
    The fact that we were having this referendum. The fact that people are already citing this as a reason to keep FPTP forever and ever. The fact that turn out is so crap and we're citing it as good.

I hate people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    When it's Lib Dem v Labour, Labour have won.
    When it's Lib Dem v Conservative, the Tories have won.

Practically ALL of the Conservative gains are at the expense of the Liberal Democrats.

Not really - let's be clear, the Conservatives were predicted to lose 1000 seats and Labour were meant to gain most of it. That hasn't happened. This is, in my view, a victory for the Conservatives over Labour given the circumstances we are in.

But we haven't seen all the results yet so it may change.
    Of course you're going to construe it to be a "victory for the Conservatives".

The fact is, increased their amount of Councillors by approximately 10x that of the Torie's increase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    I can understand you being disappointed, but angry? The public got what they voted for.
    Not really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)

The fact is, increased their amount of Councillors by approximately 10x that of the Torie's increase.
    The Tories have done well compared to what previous reports had been predicting though. With all the negativity that the tories have seen at various points since their election the fact that they've gained seats is a result to be pleased with.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that we were having this referendum. The fact that people are already citing this as a reason to keep FPTP forever and ever. The fact that turn out is so crap and we're citing it as good.

I hate people.
    I agree. I wish Clegg had put his foot down on a referendum for any proportional system. The fact it was AV in the coalition agreement is an absolute travesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)

Predictions were that the Conservatives would lose over 1000 seats. Add to that that most governments; including the last Labour government, lose seats. Labour lost local elections two years after they inhereted a booming economy.

The Conservatives are putting forward a programme of severe spending reductions and yet they have made gains - that's unforeseen and a bloody good result.

If you weren't so blind you would see that.

I hate people.
    Well we had a chance to have proportional representation on the ballot - Caroline Lucas put forward an amendment that the Liberal Democrats voted down.

ReputationRep:
    Predictions were that the Conservatives would lose over 1000 seats. Add to that that most governments; including the last Labour government, lose seats. Labour lost local elections two years after they inhereted a booming economy.

The Conservatives are putting forward a programme of severe spending reductions and yet they have made gains - that's unforeseen and a bloody good result.

If you weren't so blind you would see that.

Well we had a chance to have proportional representation on the ballot - Caroline Lucas put forward an amendment that the Liberal Democrats voted down.
    Probably due to vote splitting- neither would have had a chance in a three-way.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

I hate people.
    Fair do's. I agree with you on that.

Not really.
    On AV vs FPTP they have. Probably not on electoral reform as a whole though, I grant you.

ReputationRep:
    AV VOTE TURNOUT BY REGION

Eastern England - 43.1% (1.84 million voters)
    London - 35.4% (1.86 million voters)
    North-east England - 38.7% (0.76 million voters)
    North-west England - 39.7% (2 million voters)
    Scotland - 50.7% (1.98 million voters)
    South-west England - 44.6% (1.8 million voters)
    West Midlands - 39.8% (1.63 million people
    Yorkshire and Humber - 39.9% (1.53 million voters)

Not a bad turnout.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13280105

Haha Hague just said Miliband is doing worse than he did as leader.

ReputationRep:
    MPs in obeying whip shocker :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Nearly everyone I know who voted against AV did so because they saw no problem with FPTP not because of an opposition to both AV and FPTP. I don't see the logic in anyone voting against it for another reason. You wouldn't vote against it because you want PR because AV being defeated so massively is going to wipe out electoral reform as a discussion point for a generation.

So yes John Reid was right, unless we have 8/9 million people in support of PR who are mad enough to destroy AV and thus any chances of PR simply because AV isn't good enough for them, which we don't. Just get over it, electoral reform lost. FPTP does us and most of the rest of the world just fine.
    You do realise that a lot more countries use forms of PR than FPTP...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.