Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Oh yeah... but then again, high turnout isn't exactly common anymore.
    Sadly true :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Mm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    The Tories have done well compared to what previous reports had been predicting though. With all the negativity that the tories have seen at various points since their election the fact that they've gained seats is a result to be pleased with.
    Absolutely, I agree the Tories have done better than expected. However, I am merely saying that it's no match compared to Labour's gains as the results show.

ReputationRep:
    Predictions were that the Conservatives would lose over 1000 seats. Add to that that most governments; including the last Labour government, lose seats. Labour lost local elections two years after they inhereted a booming economy.

The Conservatives are putting forward a programme of severe spending reductions and yet they have made gains - that's unforeseen and a bloody good result.

If you weren't so blind you would see that.
    Because that's what people expect from the Tories. The reason it's being taken out on the Lib Dems is that we don't expect them to be the spend cutters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Because that's what people expect from the Tories. The reason it's being taken out on the Lib Dems is that we don't expect them to be the spend cutters.
    But these gains must be taken in context - given the circumstances we are in, Labour's gains aren't at all impressive and are well below the expected.

ReputationRep:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    There have been so many posts I've wanted to rep today. Damn rep limits.

ReputationRep:
    Love it haha

ReputationRep:
    But these gains must be taken in context - given the circumstances we are in, Labour's gains aren't at all impressive and are well below the expected.
    I find Labour's gains impressive personally.

ReputationRep:
    Old news, I saw that yesterday afternoon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Old news, I saw that yesterday afternoon
    Didn't post it in here though

ReputationRep:
    Didn't post it in here though
    Was plastered all over twitter on most of the election-related trends yesterday. Seeing as a fair few of our MPs use twitter I assumed most would have seen it.

Wasn't that taken on general election day? still very good

As for Twitter... it is a load of bull imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    I find Labour's gains impressive personally.
    I have to agree with Tea. A few nice wins but generally a poor result. Unsurprising, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    I still can't quite believe the SNP. Even though attention seems to have turned to the referendum, the Scottish result is a much bigger story to me, for the entire UK. An SNP majority means all opposition to an independence referendum has gone. And if Salmond sells it right over the next 3-4 years, the end of the UK could be less than a decade away...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I still can't quite believe the SNP. Even though attention seems to have turned to the referendum, the Scottish result is a much bigger story to me, for the entire UK. An SNP majority means all opposition to an independence referendum has gone. And if Salmond sells it right over the next 3-4 years, the end of the UK could be less than a decade away...
    Highly unlikely. Remember that public opinion here in Scotland on independence is not nearly as high as people in England seem to think - it's only at 20-30%. And even should it drastically increase by the time of the referendum, should it be an extremely close result in favour of independence, it still likely would not happen.

Independence will probably only be granted if the vast majority of Scots want it. And at the moment it's the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    I have to agree with Tea. A few nice wins but generally a poor result. Unsurprising, sadly.
    Who is the bigger idiot? The idiot or the idiot who agrees with the idiot :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    1. Public opinion in Scotland doesn't favour independence.
    2. It still requires UK approval.

ReputationRep:
    I just won a tournament on http://www.miniclip.com/games/8-ball...ultiplayer/en/
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Courtesy of the Conservative Party facebook page......

:teehee:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.