Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Guys can we stop all this Donald Trump bashing?
    We can, but we won't
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    We're awful, aren't we.

Made a dent on the reading, by chance?
    Yes. XD

Not yet, competing priorities - but over the summer it shall be done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    We can, but we won't
    The joke was the video... I don't care if you bash Trump... he is about as useful as Palin.

--------------------------------

Am I the only one thinking that Italians are filthy *******s? I recently watched the news and rubbish is just piling up in the streets - it's disgusting and yet people are still piling it up. wtf is wrong with these people? If I woke up to discover rubbish isn't being taken I wouldn't keep piling it up...

Yes the authorities are in the wrong for not taking it away or not investing in incinerators and sites for disposal in Naples, however, people are morally wrong for letting it get that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one thinking that Italians are filthy *******s? I recently watched the news and rubbish is just piling up in the streets - it's disgusting and yet people are still piling it up. wtf is wrong with these people? If I woke up to discover rubbish isn't being taken I wouldn't keep piling it up...

Yes the authorities are in the wrong for not taking it away or not investing in incinerators and sites for disposal in Naples, however, people are morally wrong for letting it get that bad.
    So what would you do with your rubbish then? Keep it in your house? The piles in Naples have been there for months. It isn't in any way the public's fault, the local authorities should have invested in new landfill sites well before now - the problems first arose 3 years ago.
    You can't just stop creating rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    So what would you do with your rubbish then? Keep it in your house? The piles in Naples have been there for months. It isn't in any way the public's fault, the local authorities should have invested in new landfill sites well before now - the problems first arose 3 years ago.
    You can't just stop creating rubbish.
    No but you don't need to just throw it anywhere in the streets either. The authorities are mainly to blame, but the people must take some responsibility for how they have just thrown it in the street.

ReputationRep:
    No but you don't need to just throw it anywhere in the streets either. The authorities are mainly to blame, but the people must take some responsibility for how they have just thrown it in the street.
    Again, where else are they going to put it?

ReputationRep:
    Politics is dropped! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Again, where else are they going to put it?
    How about they store it for a little while and take a trip up to a facility where they can take it. That's what we do occasionally; although that's not for normal rubbish it's for leftover paint and other toxic chemicals but the point remains, we don't dump it in the streets because no one collects it for us; we take it ourselves.

(Original post by cambo211)
    Politics is dropped! :woo:
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    How about they store it for a little while and take a trip up to a facility where they can take it. That's what we do occasionally; although that's not for normal rubbish it's for leftover paint and other toxic chemicals but the point remains, we don't dump it in the streets because no one collects it for us; we take it ourselves.

Huh?
    I'm no longer doing a joint honours in Econ and Politics.

Now i'm just doing Economics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no longer doing a joint honours in Econ and Politics.

Now i'm just doing Economics.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Because it turns out although i enjoy the stuff we study in Politics, I'm not very good at writing political essays.

I enjoy Economics just as much and am better at it so i didn't see much point carrying on Politics into the stage of my degree where it will actually count.

ReputationRep:
    Because it turns out although i enjoy the stuff we study in Politics, I'm not very good at writing political essays.

I enjoy Economics just as much and am better at it so i didn't see much point carrying on Politics into the stage of my degree where it will actually count.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    There is a clear difference between a 'Conservative Government' and a 'Coalition Government'.

Those comments were made in reference to a formal alliance between the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats pre the 2010 election. The 2010 election resulted in a hung parliament, with no party able to form a realistic minority Government. The Lib Dems are the third party, they would have been blamed for the political instability that followed if they had they not done gone in to Coalition.
    Labour had too few seats for the two to form a workable Coalition, therefore their only realistic option was to form a Coalition with the Conservatives.

Mr. Clegg says he won't join a Conservative Government. He hasn't. He has formed a Coalition Government, the includes both Lib Dems and Conservatives. It was an electoral inevitability after the May 2010 General Election, and the Lib Dems did the right thing in going into Coalition.

That said, it is time to establish their own identity within the Coalition. For far too long they've agreed publicly with their Coalition partners, and have not been successful in publicising their achievements in delivering 75% of their manifesto in Government. There are also key differences between the parties which must be made clear to retain credibility.

It's an interesting time for British politics, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzman)
    There is a clear difference between a 'Conservative Government' and a 'Coalition Government'.

Those comments were made in reference to a formal alliance between the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats pre the 2010 election. The 2010 election resulted in a hung parliament, with no party able to form a realistic minority Government. The Lib Dems are the third party, they would have been blamed for the political instability that followed if they had they not done gone in to Coalition.
    Labour had too few seats for the two to form a workable Coalition, therefore their only realistic option was to form a Coalition with the Conservatives.

Mr. Clegg says he won't join a Conservative Government. He hasn't. He has formed a Coalition Government, the includes both Lib Dems and Conservatives. It was an electoral inevitability after the May 2010 General Election, and the Lib Dems did the right thing in going into Coalition.

That said, it is time to establish their own identity within the Coalition. For far too long they've agreed publicly with their Coalition partners, and have not been successful in publicising their achievements in delivering 75% of their manifesto in Government. There are also key differences between the parties which must be made clear to retain credibility.

It's an interesting time for British politics, that's for sure.
    The Lib Dems are getting walked all over in the coalition. It might as well be a Conservative government, because all I can see is tory policies being implemented. Obviously since they're the major partner they should get more of a say, but surely there's a line. Tuition fees was the major one I think. It's not even as if it was in the Lib Dem manifesto (it might have been, not sure, but that's not the point) that they'd keep tuitions fees the same, each MP signed personal pledges never to vote to increase them. That's anytime, not just if they were elected into government.

The Lib Dems need to stop getting raped by the tories and being used as shields against the hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    The Lib Dems are getting walked all over in the coalition. It might as well be a Conservative government, because all I can see is tory policies being implemented. Obviously since they're the major partner they should get more of a say, but surely there's a line. Tuition fees was the major one I think. It's not even as if it was in the Lib Dem manifesto (it might have been, not sure, but that's not the point) that they'd keep tuitions fees the same, each MP signed personal pledges never to vote to increase them. That's anytime, not just if they were elected into government.

The Lib Dems need to stop getting raped by the tories and being used as shields against the hate.
    Actually it was in the Lib Dems' manifesto that they would abolish tuition fees altogether, and that remains their policy on tuition fees even now. Feel the irony.

I disagree that the Lib Dems are being 'walked all over' in the Coalition. As I mentioned, 75% of the Lib Dem manifesto is in the Coalition Agreement according to the BBC. Further examples of direct comparisons between the text of the Coalition Agreement, and the Lib Dem Manifesto can be found here: http://www.whatthehellhavethelibdemsdone.com/

That is not to say I agree with everything the Lib Dems have done in Coalition. I don't. The tuition fees rise was an incredibly stupid concession to make to the Conservatives, it's hard to assess the damage that particular issue has done to the Lib Dem core support, but if Thursday's election results are any indication, it has harmed the Lib Dem vote significantly (in conjunction with other issues related to the Lib Dems' role in Coalition). For Nick Clegg to whip is favour was absolutely absurd, and one of the greatest mistakes of his career in my opinion. He should have whipped for his MPs to abstain, which most would have done.

But I believe tuition fees should not be the defining image of the Lib Dems at the next General Election. It was a big mistake, and it will harm their election prospects. But their record in Government should not be ignored. They've lifted 880,000 people out of income tax altogether, delivered millions of pounds of extra funding to schools that teach the poorest pupils through the pupil premium scheme, and they've invested £1.5 billion in a Green Investment Bank that will create thousands of jobs in the UK, and deliver a more sustainable energy sector for the future competitiveness of the UK in the sustainable energy market. All of these were in the Lib Dem manifesto, and all will be/have been implemented in this Parliament.

I sincerely believe the Lib Dems are delivering for their voters and the people of the UK in Government, but make no obfuscations over their well below par role in the tuition fees mistake. I very much hope the large amount of good the Lib Dems have done in Government will outweigh their biggest mistakes over time. Whether that will be the case, we shall find out over the coming years. It certainly is not happening at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Another classy thread on TSR.

What was it? as it is no longer there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    (Original post by Wilzman)
    :ditto:
    The title was something along the lines of:

"I dipped my penis into jelly before it set."

And then the post simply read "discuss."

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.