Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Christ what a...

He makes a point about the bank system being inherently possible to collapse - but that's the problem of fraction reserve with maturity transformation. All you have to do is ensure that money going out has a shorter maturity than money on your ins - and the run on a bank doesn't cause insolvency - simples. Charing interest on loans is entirely sensible, it's the time preference of money - I'd rather have x money now than x+y money later, so I'll borrow x money now and pay back x+y later.

Some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    It would be quite disingenuous to claim the House of Lords is in any way meritocratic, to be fair.

Regardless, the way the human brain works basically makes the idea of meritocracy impossible.
    The House of Lords is quite meritocratic compared to the Commons. I did advocate some reforms which would make the House more meritocratic; such as removing the Prime Ministers powers of appointing peerages - that way the Commission can appoint the lot based on their services and expertise.

ReputationRep:
    Never mind putting his foot in his mouth, Ken Clarke has well and truly eaten it today.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    http://www.leftfootforward.org/2011/...ely-keynesian/

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense... many Conservatives have advocated such things for years...

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animation

Just reading the above article on Animation... and this image is displayed:

Apparently that's "wrestling"
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Never mind putting his foot in his mouth, Ken Clarke has well and truly eaten it today.
    He has a point though. There is a difference between two teenagers having underage sex and a man forcing himself onto a woman who clearly does not want to have sex with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    He has a point though. There is a difference between two teenagers having underage sex and a man forcing himself onto a woman who clearly does not want to have sex with him.
    There is, yes. But to classify date rape in the same category as consensual underage sex is not an appropriate thing for the Justice Secretary to do.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wilzman)
    There is, yes. But to classify date rape in the same category as consensual underage sex is not an appropriate thing for the Justice Secretary to do.
    I got the impression that he was making a distinction between violent sexual assaults and other offences classed as rape under UK law. I don't think he was saying that date rape isn't rape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    I got the impression that he was making a distinction between violent sexual assaults and other offences classed as rape under UK law. I don't think he was saying that date rape isn't rape.
    He wasn't saying date rape isn't rape. But I agree with Victoria Derbyshire, 'rape is rape'. To diminish date rape by comparing it with consensual sex between a 15 and 17 year old (which is also rape under the law), is simply wrong and understates the suffering those who are raped through date rape go through.
    If he intends to create a two tier system where violent rape is 'proper rape', and all non-violent rapes are not 'proper rape', and thus should be punished less severely, then I disagree with him wholeheartedly, and would call to him to have some common sense over the issue and leave the system as it is.

There is no need for him to resign, but he should apologise for comments which are simply not appropriate for the Justice Secretary to make, and clarify his position on rape.

ReputationRep:
    Miliband is jumping on these comments calling for him to resign... what a dult.

ReputationRep:
    Just had my advanced higher maths exam

Maths I love Maths

I had English but I may of ****ed up in regards to 'Past feelings' part of it but hopefully I'll get the 'Describing the Country in Winter and Summer' which should balance it out, anything above a 'C' and I am happy :lol:

Anyone hear that Sweden's Minister of Finance Anders Borg said that Gordon Brown is not right to take IMF helm, is everyone against him and his History PhD? Brown should go into lecturing ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Maths I love Maths

I had English but I may of ****ed up in regards to 'Past feelings' part of it but hopefully I'll get the 'Describing the Country in Winter and Summer' which should balance it out, anything above a 'C' and I am happy :lol:

Anyone hear that Sweden's Minister of Finance Anders Borg said that Gordon Brown is not right to take IMF helm, is everyone against him and his History PhD? Brown should go into lecturing ffs.
    I love maths too, just it was quite a hard paper.

ReputationRep:
    Occasionally I get these bouts of rage at the fact that I'm not allowed to donate blood for the rest of my life.

Today was one of this occasions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Occasionally I get these bouts of rage at the fact that I'm not allowed to donate blood for the rest of my life.

Today was one of this occasions.
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    Poofery of the highest order!

Basically, sexual relations with another man, meaning I'm not allowed to donate blood.

ReputationRep:

Basically, sexual relations with another man, meaning I'm not allowed to donate blood.
    Funny you should mention that...

(Well not funny, it's bloody ridiculous gay people can't give blood)

Sexual relations with men = not allowed to donate blood? is it a joke? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Sexual relations with men = not allowed to donate blood? is it a joke? :holmes:
    It is a joke, but in the sense that it's a complete joke gay people can't give blood under the current blood donation system in the UK.
    Nothos is not however joking when he says gay people cannot give blood.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.