Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Poofery of the highest order!

Basically, sexual relations with another man, meaning I'm not allowed to donate blood.
    Wait what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzman)
    It is a joke, but in the sense that it's a complete joke gay people can't give blood under the current blood donation system in the UK.
    Nothos is not however joking when he says gay people cannot give blood.

It'z cus dem queerosexuals gots the aids. They as bad as them muslamic ray guns.

^^ Yes I am terrible at it but I don't care :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Funny you should mention that...

(Well not funny, it's bloody ridiculous gay people can't give blood)
    We were only just having this conversation in the LGBT chat thread. It's bad, but it's not really ridiculous. The data still supports the theory that gay men and more likely to have HIV.

ReputationRep:
    It is a joke, but in the sense that it's a complete joke gay people can't give blood under the current blood donation system in the UK.
    Nothos is not however joking when he says gay people cannot give blood.
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Sexual relations with men = not allowed to donate blood? is it a joke? :holmes:
    Well technically, it's not if you're gay - it's if you've had intercourse/whatever else with another guy/girl. But I agree, it's ridiculous. Surely it would be better to just check for anything that may taint the blood (more thoroughly than they do currently).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    We were only just having this conversation in the LGBT chat thread. It's bad, but it's not really ridiculous. The data still supports the theory that gay men and more likely to have HIV.
    Indeed, it does. But an increased rate of HIV infection in gay men should not preclude them from donating blood.

Blood shortages are a clear and real problem for the NHSBT, and for public health in general. With national surveys (from ten years ago) surmising that as many of 8.4% of the male adult population in the UK may be homosexual, and at the same time just 5% of the British public being registered blood donors, there is a clear and easy way to give a much needed boost to donor numbers, that being allowing gay men to donate blood.
    Of course this will have the effect of increasing the amount of blood given that is HIV positive, but with greater awareness raising in the gay community, and increased funding for community based HIV testing, as well as greater funding for antigen screening facilities for donated blood, the risk of HIV positive blood being transfused into a donor could be offset fairly easily (and with corresponding benefits for health in the gay community).

The data supports increased HIV infection rates in the gay community, but a holistic consideration of the issue demonstrates only one ethical and practical course of action, namely legalising blood donation for gay men (with the caveat that greater efforts are made to reduce HIV infection in the gay community - and other communities - and greater funding for blood screening post donation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Some of it is skewed by statistics, however. I'd you say 25% of gay men have aids (Just pulled that out of my arse) and ten percent of the sexually active adult population are sexually active gay men, that means only 2.5% of aids cases in all adults are from gay men.

Plus, I think gay men practice, in general, safe sex more widely than straight people, simply because of the campaigns against aids are targeted at the gay community.

ReputationRep:
    x.

Nothos, are you gay?

ReputationRep:
    these a number of people who can't give blood for a number of reasons

it have been seem as a risk, Gay men are seven times more likely to contract HIV than straight men ( I dunno how true it is), A man told the Australian Red Cross to court over this, and it was admit that it was a silly ban now, although it can take a few month for the HIV virus to show, not really a case for a life time ban, these also HBV

it could be some what rich they will take your organ no question, gay or not

they have to weight it up a duty of care to patients needed blood, and the amount of blood they have

ReputationRep:
    Some of it is skewed by statistics, however. I'd you say 25% of gay men have aids (Just pulled that out of my arse) and ten percent of the sexually active adult population are sexually active gay men, that means only 2.5% of aids cases in all adults are from gay men.
    Oh, the innuendos a more deviant mind than mine could come up with here.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    How to fuel the future...

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)

I don't get it

ReputationRep:
    Poofery of the highest order!

Basically, sexual relations with another man, meaning I'm not allowed to donate blood.
    I think it's an absurd and out dated law which needs revising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    He wasn't saying date rape isn't rape. But I agree with Victoria Derbyshire, 'rape is rape'. To diminish date rape by comparing it with consensual sex between a 15 and 17 year old (which is also rape under the law), is simply wrong and understates the suffering those who are raped through date rape go through.
    If he intends to create a two tier system where violent rape is 'proper rape', and all non-violent rapes are not 'proper rape', and thus should be punished less severely, then I disagree with him wholeheartedly, and would call to him to have some common sense over the issue and leave the system as it is.

There is no need for him to resign, but he should apologise for comments which are simply not appropriate for the Justice Secretary to make, and clarify his position on rape.
    That's not how I interpreted what he said, but fine. I still think his comments have been blown all out of proportion though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    It's not law though, is it? I was under the impression that it was simply DH/NHSBT policy, rather than a legal restriction.

ReputationRep:
    It's not law though, is it? I was under the impression that it was simply DH/NHSBT policy, rather than a legal restriction.
    Indeed, it isn't a law. It is a DoH policy that is implemented through executive, rather than legislative jurisdiction (carried out by NHSBT).

That said, we don't really exercise executive jurisdiction much on here...

ReputationRep:

Damn, now I want some ice cream.

ReputationRep:
    On the issue of Ken Clarke, he hasn't used the most clear language but he does, to some degree, have a point. As Nick Robinson said on the Daily Politics, factually he isn't all that wrong it's how he presented it that is the problem. I just can't wait for Ed Miliband or his shadow bench to claim the government are soft on crime when, during the leadership contest, Ed Miliband advocated a more soft liberal approach.

Also, can someone actually answer my question - is Nothos gay or not?

ReputationRep:
    Well i think anyone who flat out says Nothos is Gay is misinformed.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.