Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Why not?
    Same reason as me i'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to point out that I am an organ donor, but for reasons mentioned, not a blood one.

Although, I don't know if they take your organs if you smoke... That would kinda suck hard if they didn't :erm:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Why not?
    Medical advice. My blood sugar tends to drop significantly after a blood test (to the point where I've actually passed out a number of times), so it's not recommended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    I just want to point out that I am an organ donor, but for reasons mentioned, not a blood one.

Although, I don't know if they take your organs if you smoke... That would kinda suck hard if they didn't :erm:
    I have never understood how they are so fussy with organs... a damaged organ is better than no organ. If you ask the person what would you rather take mediciation for an illness you will contract or DIE I am sure they will choose to take the organ.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's if you're male and you've had sex with a man, or if you're female and you've had sex with a man who's had sex with a man. Lesbians are unaffected. It says all this on the form. When was the last time you donated?
    It's been a few months since I've donated as I have no idea where the nearest centre is. I get automated emails from the university saying there's a blood donation in town but it doesn't say when/where. Helpful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    Medical advice. My blood sugar tends to drop significantly after a blood test (to the point where I've actually passed out a number of times), so it's not recommended.
    Ah, that sucks.

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    It's been a few months since I've donated as I have no idea where the nearest centre is. I get automated emails from the university saying there's a blood donation in town but it doesn't say when/where. Helpful...
    It takes all of three minutes to go on http://www.blood.co.uk and search for the nearest donation session.

ReputationRep:
    The nearest blood donation centre to me is 0.1 miles away - oddly enough it's at the same place as our polling station...

blood + votes = Vampire Politicians.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not allowed to donate blood :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Update coming up shortly guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    The nearest blood donation centre to me is 0.1 miles away - oddly enough it's at the same place as our polling station...

You are aware of the linguistic roots of the term politics, right?

Poly = Many
    Ticks = Blood sucking parasites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    You are aware of the linguistic roots of the term politics, right?

Poly = Many
    Ticks = Blood sucking parasites.
    I am aware of that terribly old joke yes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ah, that sucks.
    Yep. However according to NHSBT, I wouldn't have been able to give blood anyway because I've received blood during surgery.

Am I the only person who read this and then instantly thought of Michael Howard?

ReputationRep:
    I am aware of that terribly old joke yes.
    It was the first politics joke I ever learnt, with my politics teacher telling us to write it down and then calling us morons for doing son. Good times :')

ReputationRep:
    I have never understood how they are so fussy with organs... a damaged organ is better than no organ. If you ask the person what would you rather take mediciation for an illness you will contract or DIE I am sure they will choose to take the organ.
    its not just as simple as that, a "damaged" organ is no good, its like giving you a new tire but its bold
    what good is it going to do, if anything it could cause more damage

its not just a ethical issue
    but on top on all the Immunosuppressive drug given to some who had a transplant its just not good

these are powerful non selective drugs, they will try to suppressive your immune system so you don't reject the new organ or bone marrow, but they will affect you whole immune system, you a less able to resist infections, you can have a spread of cancer cells, because you are less able to resist malignant cells

these a very good reason why they don't just give any old organ to a patient

there is a massive shortest of organs, so every potential organ donation must be considered, where these a good supply off blood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    Am I the only person who read this and then instantly thought of Michael Howard?
    Something of the night about him.

(Original post by robinson999)
    its not just as simple as that, a "damaged" organ is no good, its like giving you a new tire but its bold
    what good is it going to do, if anything it could cause more damage

its not just a ethical issue
    but on top on all the Immunosuppressive drug given to some who had a transplant its just not good

these are powerful non selective drugs, they will try to suppressive your immune system so you don't reject the new organ or bone marrow, but they will affect you whole immune system, you a less able to resist infections, you can have a spread of cancer cells, because you are less able to resist malignant cells

these a very good reason why they don't just give any old organ to a patient

there is a massive shortest of organs, so every potential organ donation must be considered, where these a good supply off blood
    Obviously I simplified but the basic premise is a good one - if the organ works but requires medication for an illness that you will get as a result of the transplant, that's a worth while risk. If you tell people you either take the organ or DIE I am sure most wouldn't mind.

Also, old people shouldn't get organs...

ReputationRep:

Obviously I simplified but the basic premise is a good one - if the organ works but requires medication for an illness that you will get as a result of the transplant, that's a worth while risk. If you tell people you either take the organ or DIE I am sure most wouldn't mind.

Also, old people shouldn't get organs...
    that it becomes about someone quality of life, if a organ had say came from someone who had HIV would you be ok with giving someone a life, but not a great quality of life, depends on the illness, because you won't have much of a immune system after anyway

I don't think its right to give someone even if they agree a organ that is not right, it may mean death, but whats the point in limiting someone quality of life more than you have too

old people it depends on the organ and where they are in the list

ReputationRep:
    that it becomes about someone quality of life, if a organ had say came from someone who had HIV would you be ok with giving someone a life, but not a great quality of life, depends on the illness, because you won't have much of a immune system after anyway

I don't think its right to give someone even if they agree a organ that is not right, it may mean death, but whats the point in limiting someone quality of life more than you have too

old people it depends on the organ and where they are in the list
    You really are going into this way too deeply - I made the comment as a general principle that we shouldn't get rid of organs just because they are slightly damaged or are infected with an illness - if the illness is managable with medication and will still provide the individual with a decent standard of living, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    You really are going into this way too deeply - I made the comment as a general principle that we shouldn't get rid of organs just because they are slightly damaged or are infected with an illness - if the illness is managable with medication and will still provide the individual with a decent standard of living, go for it.
    I can't help it :p: its not even anything to do with what i am looking over

there are many manageable illness, but not nice to give to people

ReputationRep:
    It takes all of three minutes to go on http://www.blood.co.uk and search for the nearest donation session.
    That's fortunate, I've found one today. I'll pop in after lectures.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help it :p: its not even anything to do with what i am looking over

there are many manageable illness, but not nice to give to people
    Well, as I say, give people the choice between a managable illness or DEATH and I am sure they will choose the former.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.