Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Well, the gifs just cause Safari to go a bit loopy trying to render them all at once. More RAM helps, as would updating safari/os x if applicable.
    How much rams have you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I just pressed the wee apple in the top left corner and a wee screen popped up saying i have Mac OS X version 10.5.8 with a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory.

Not going to pretend I know what it means, can you shed some light?
    10.5.8? Old. You should get Snow Leopard; the current iteration is 10.6.4, I think. Or 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    10.5.8? Old. You should get Snow Leopard; the current iteration is 10.6.4, I think. Or 5.
    Yeah, I never download the updates because I don't want to have to wait on them...

ReputationRep:
    I just pressed the wee apple in the top left corner and a wee screen popped up saying i have Mac OS X version 10.5.8 with a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W
    That doesn't actually mean anything does it?

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't actually mean anything does it?
    :cool:

It's my computer.

Well your Mac is fine, you are running specs that should not cause Safari to freeze so it has to be the .gifs all loading at once which is screwing around with it, are the signatures? as you can hide the sigs perm can't you?
    Why should he get SL? personally I found Leopard to be better. Just because it is the latest doesn't mean he should upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Well your Mac is fine, you are running specs that should not cause Safari to freeze so it has to be the .gifs all loading at once which is screwing around with it, are the signatures? as you can hide the sigs perm can't you?

Why should he get SL? personally I found Leopard to be better. Just because it is the latest doesn't mean he should upgrade.
    Yes, it's all the pesky gifs in people's signatures that do it. I'm not going to hide them because I like seeing them

ReputationRep:
    The idea of two left feet has been mentioned two episodes on the trot in Doctor Who now... Wonder if it's indicative of some overarching plot? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I never download the updates because I don't want to have to wait on them...
    Download them while you're out, then?

What's not to like? The (minimal) UI changes made it a bit sleeker, and the main changes were under the hood anyway - it's faster, more efficient and more stable. And it's not really 'the latest'; it's been out for almost two years, and is about to be superseded by Lion anyway.

The only reason for sticking with Leopard is if you've got an old PowerPC Mac.

What's not to like? The (minimal) UI changes made it a bit sleeker, and the main changes were under the hood anyway - it's faster, more efficient and more stable. And it's not really 'the latest'; it's been out for almost two years, and is about to be superseded by Lion anyway.

The only reason for sticking with Leopard is if you've got an old PowerPC Mac.
    To me the difference was minimal but then again I am not a fanboy and as long as the MacBook does as I want I am happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    To me the difference was minimal but then again I am not a fanboy and as long as the MacBook does as I want I am happy with it.
    As I said, the difference is minimal because it's mostly under the hood stuff. It's not about being a fanboy and getting the latest everything from Apple. Snow Leopard is quite straightforwardly faster, more efficient and more stable than Leopard. That means it gets things done quicker, using fewer system resources, and is less likely to crash.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've just found a program that's multiple times worse than the x factor... and that takes some doing :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    HTC Desire S for £240?

ReputationRep:
    I'm due an upgrade at the end of next month and am seriously considering leaving Apple for an Android phone. The Desire S is on my list, but I'm hearing there's a HTC phone that's supposed to be better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I'm due an upgrade at the end of next month and am seriously considering leaving Apple for an Android phone. The Desire S is on my list, but I'm hearing there's a HTC phone that's supposed to be better?
    The HTC Sensation. Same Retina Display as the iPhone, front camera, a new version of HTC Sense. It's basically the glutton of the phone world.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at trying to get a cheap HTC sim free so I can drop the Blackberry bolt on to my contract and have a shiny new (or slightly used) Android phone. Because they are just awesome phones.

ReputationRep:
    Just realised Matthew Lowson is in TSR UKIP.....which means he's in the Government with me :eek::eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    The HTC Sensation. Same Retina Display as the iPhone, front camera, a new version of HTC Sense. It's basically the glutton of the phone world.
    That looks amazing. Unless I hear something about the next iPhone that's really exciting, I think that's the one. Android will be easier to develop for as well. :cyber:

ReputationRep:
    That looks amazing. Unless I hear something about the next iPhone that's really exciting, I think that's the one. Android will be easier to develop for as well. :cyber:
    Actually, I found iPhone easier to develop for, but that's because I'd done some Objective C before. I do like the wider selection of APIs in android, though :yep:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.