Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    To be honest I'm more concerned about super-injunctions which means that I cannot say who it was that is having an affair with that **** from Big Brother without Acumen ****ting themselves in case they get sued. I'm concerned about how the rich and powerful can restrict the flow of information and how this has implications where even American companies can get sued. It'll be interesting to hear how that goes, actually. I honestly think that Twitter and Americans as a whole will find it quite strange that it is getting sued because people are saying things that they are not allowed to say.

Ordinarily I wouldn't give a **** about who is shagging who because it happens all the time. But when the **** then uses his wealth to try and stop anyone from finding out about it and is actually allowed to stop the press from reporting it, it is a serious problem. The only reason I Googled to see who it was was in fact because he didn't want me to know about it. And I know that he is very upset that I know about it because he went to great lengths to ensure that I didn't find out about it.

Sadly it's only the shag super-injunctions that we hear about, but there are many far more sinister ones out there. For example, an oil company used one to stop it being reported that it knowingly dumped toxic waste in populated areas of the Ivory Coast, causing health problems for the locals.

Now I understand that there are some cases where a super-injunction might be appropriate, like for example where public debate on a case could influence the jury, but the law regarding them as it is is a total farce. What happened to freedom of press?
    Well said that man!

ReputationRep:
    So I assume a bill on this would gather some support?

ReputationRep:
    I've just had a thought: back home (Northumberland) the newsagents I work in sells the Sunday Herald - 3 or 4 a week. So, technically, can they be sold in England because of the front page?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I've just had a thought: back home (Northumberland) the newsagents I work in sells the Sunday Herald - 3 or 4 a week. So, technically, can they be sold in England because of the front page?
    Bit of a grey area I'd presume. Maybe it's like foie gras? Illegal to make in the UK, but not to import.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. I'm so ****. Just went for a walk to clear my head and, over an hour later, I'm still in no mood to concentrate on revision for my three exams this week. I deserve a fail but I kind of need a first. Balls.

(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Ugh. I'm so ****. Just went for a walk to clear my head and, over an hour later, I'm still in no mood to concentrate on revision for my three exams this week. I deserve a fail but I kind of need a first. Balls.
    you'll do well

I just looked through my closet and I only have 4 jeans that fit, 2 polos not torn and 10 t-shirts I need to go clothes shopping ASAP!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Apparently they ensured it wasn't distributed anywhere south of the border today.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine just told me that Churchill used to have an actor read out his radio speeches. So, for example, "We will fight them on the beaches" is not actually something Churchill said.

True?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    A friend of mine just told me that Churchill used to have an actor read out his radio speeches. So, for example, "We will fight them on the beaches" is not actually something Churchill said.

True?
    I doubt it.

They do as well: http://www.winstonchurchill.org/lear...d-his-speeches
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Can I form a new party, become leader of it, and grant myself dual membership :awesome:

I want to start some sort of Neo-Luddite party or something, add something vaguely interesting to the house.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to start the Teaddict Party

The Teaddict Party is dedicated to economic and social Teaddism - the conservative philosophy that a cup of tea can solve the worlds ills; many of which were either caused by France directly or by France's very existence.

(Original post by Teaddict)
    The worlds ills; many of which were either caused by France directly or by France's very existence.
    :unimpressed: :sad: :cry:

Well kiss our 1% growth and we are only 0.8% away from pre-recession GDP compared to Britain being 4.1% away

Vive la France! :france:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    :unimpressed: :sad: :cry:

Well kiss our 1% growth and we are only 0.8% away from pre-recession GDP compared to Britain being 4.1% away

Vive la France! :france:

Yes but France didn't have to suffer the poor management and proliferacy of a Labour Government

^^ Woo party politics.

Yes but France didn't have to suffer the poor management and proliferacy of a Labour Government

^^ Woo party politics.
    Poor management? they just wanted to solve unempl.... **** :lol: well Labour got you into this mess and Brown wants to head the IMF... shame Christine Lagarde has almost got the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Poor management? they just wanted to solve unempl.... **** :lol: well Labour got you into this mess and Brown wants to head the IMF... shame Christine Lagarde has almost got the job
    Thank God she has the job... Brown is a disaster on anything economic.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I am no longer a Conservative MP

Evidently animosity between Indievertigo and I have resulted in his kicking of me from the party - haha - my word, how funny... slightly pathetic but funny.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I am no longer a Conservative MP

Evidently animosity between Indievertigo and I have resulted in his kicking of me from the party - haha - my word, how funny... slightly pathetic but funny.
    Interesting :holmes:

What are you going to do now? Are you too much of a social conservative for the libertarians? Or get others to support PMBs and run as an indie next term? Or just get a life :p:

ReputationRep:
    clearly Teaddict would be a fit to join labour :p:

oh that feeling when you have done tons of revision, start looking at past papers and still know nothing

ReputationRep:
    Bugger, is it really Monday morning already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Bugger, is it really Monday morning already?
    I saw your deleted post. Getting a TSR super injunction are we?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.