Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    http://www.wind-watch.org/faq-output.php

^^ That's where I got it from.
    I suggest you find a non-biased website.

It shows that 60% of the time they aren't generating a lot of power.
    I've already explained this.

In regards to noise each one can generate the same level of noise as a family car travelling at 70 mph.
    Source.

Noise can be subjective though...
    Yes, which is why it's a silly argument.

So because you don't like it it's not credible? Interesting.
    It's not credible because it has not been peer-reviewed. It is not a serious article in an appropriate journal and it doesn't even intend to be.

And I love this constant referral to fossil fuels - your argument seems to be "something is worse thus this is good"
    Nope. I refer to fossil fuels because that's currently where we get most of our energy from. It's a valid comparison because in most ways that I can think of wind energy is better than fossil fuel energy.

Is coal a fossil fuel?
    Why yes, yes it is.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Energy Technology Load factor
    Sewage Gas 90%
    Farmyard Waste 90%
    Energy Crops 85%
    Landfill Gas 70-90%
    Combined Cycle Gas Turbine (CCGT) 70-85%
    Waste Combustion 60-90%
    Coal 65-85%
    Nuclear Power 65-85%
    Hydro 30-50%
    Wind Energy 25-40%
    Wave Power 25%

Is coal a fossil fuel? Because if so, then it is you who is totally wrong. You said "This figure isn't that much below conventional fossil fuel stations". The above shows that fossil fuels are twice that of wind power.
    Those figures overestimate all sources compared to the ones in my textbook.

ReputationRep:
    Just put a turbine over the House of Commons. The amount of hot air expelled in that room will easily power London for the rest of our lives :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Just put a turbine over the House of Commons. The amount of hot air expelled in that room will easily power London for the rest of our lives :ahee:
    *massive sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    *massive sigh*
    I know, terrible joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFBsLWV0X2A

Could anyone tell me what music it is in the background when Portillo talks of the job in Social Security, about 1:40 in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    I know, terrible joke.
    Its not as bad as some of the ones in my History GCSE source questions I'm doing at the moment. The wonders of doing The Rise of Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Those figures overestimate all sources compared to the ones in my textbook.
    Those figures come from RenewablesUK:

http://www.bwea.com/about/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RenewableUK

ReputationRep:
    The Justice League of Northumberland's just popped up on my Facebook feed. Defenders of Northumberland, fantastic.

(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Its not as bad as some of the ones in my History GCSE source questions I'm doing at the moment. The wonders of doing The Rise of Hitler.
    I always found that really interesting, because Weimar Germany seemed to be a country booming after the Rentenmark was brought in, and suddenly brought harder to the bump than all of the other economies. And Hitler's rise is so different to almost all other dictatorships - that it was engineered democratically.

ReputationRep:
    So, had a history exam in a terrible module that none of us knew how to revise for, piss easy questons saved my ass. Legendary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    I always found that really interesting, because Weimar Germany seemed to be a country booming after the Rentenmark was brought in, and suddenly brought harder to the bump than all of the other economies. And Hitler's rise is so different to almost all other dictatorships - that it was engineered democratically.
    It "seemed" is the key. Hindenburg and co had built the Weimar Republic on instable economic foundations, and it took just one event to cause it to crumble. Although if I'm honest - I think that without the Munich Putsch, Hitler would not have been popular enough to get close to the Chancellorship. I agree with Hitler's rise. He seemed very keen to do it legally and to "hold our noses and enter the Reichstag", but then that's probably because he knew the SA wasn't exactly making the Nazis popular and of course it would enable the Nazis to use their main strength. Their ability to direct the German people to a scapegoat, and also Hitler's amazing public speaking. It was stupidly powerful.

I think that without the Munich Putsch, Hitler would not have been popular enough to get close to the Chancellorship.
    It wasn't about popularity, Hitler had been causing quite a stir with his minority of followers which cause Hindenburg to become worried and he made him Chancellor to shut him up basically, however when Hindenburg died Hitler seized power in an instant something that I don't think anyone in Hindenburg's camp thought would happen but then again they were nearly all short sighted in the situation of Germany.

This is my take on it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    It wasn't about popularity, Hitler had been causing quite a stir with his minority of followers which cause Hindenburg to become worried and he made him Chancellor to shut him up basically, however when Hindenburg died Hitler seized power in an instant something that I don't think anyone in Hindenburg's camp thought would happen but then again they were nearly all short sighted in the situation of Germany.

This is my take on it anyway.
    It was though. Without the Munich Putsch - Hitler wouldn't of entered the Reichstag, would not of won seats in the Reichstag, and if he had it would be the 12 seats he started with, and even then - this would be around the time of the Wall Street Crash, and would certainly not be big enough for Hindenburg to be worried.

Hindenburg made Hitler chancellor because Von Papen basically held the cards, and Hitler had nearly 50% of the votes for the Reichstag.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They must be using a different definition of theoretical limit, probably one that takes a lot more efficiencies into account, hence the higher numbers. Doesn't really matter much through because wind turbines are not expected to be producing much compared to their theoretical limit due to the intermittent nature of wind. Whereas for fossil fuel plants, high load factors are desired because plant is more efficient and cheaper to operate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    They must be using a different definition of theoretical limit, probably one that takes a lot more efficiencies into account, hence the higher numbers. Doesn't really matter much through because wind turbines are not expected to be producing much compared to their theoretical limit due to the intermittent nature of wind. Whereas for fossil fuel plants, high load factors are desired because plant is more efficient and cheaper to operate.
    I would just like to make something clear here, I am not actually opposed to renewable energy sources in general. I just dislike wind power.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I would just like to make something clear here, I am not actually opposed to renewable energy sources in general. I just dislike wind power.
    And what I am saying is that your reasons for disliking wind power are based on a poor understanding of it and how it works. It's not meant to be the next major source of energy and we're not going to start covering the countryside with them. But they are clean, cost effective and do not produce CO2 emissions. So they are actually very good when used appropriately and will be a vital part of the portfolio when gas becomes more expensive, unless we go back to mass coal usage.

It was though. Without the Munich Putsch - Hitler wouldn't of entered the Reichstag, would not of won seats in the Reichstag, and if he had it would be the 12 seats he started with, and even then - this would be around the time of the Wall Street Crash, and would certainly not be big enough for Hindenburg to be worried.

Hindenburg made Hitler chancellor because Von Papen basically held the cards, and Hitler had nearly 50% of the votes for the Reichstag.
    Not at the time, in the November 32 election Hitler got less than he did before, and contemplated suicide if I remember rightly, the numbers certainly would have meant that he couldnt go on his own, - hence why once Chancellor the first thing he called was another election, to get the votes to try and put through the E.A. which eventually would mean the dictatorship once the ailing Hindenburg died.

The Putsch was way way before though, he wrote Mein Kampf when in gaol in the early twenties. -

I wouldnt say it would be the control of the Reichstag that would force Hindenburg to grant Hitler the chancellorship, but the repeated electoral success of the Nazi party in both July and November 32, there's only so many mandates a president, probably forced into relection against his will, can veto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    And what I am saying is that your reasons for disliking wind power are based on a poor understanding of it and how it works. It's not meant to be the next major source of energy and we're not going to start covering the countryside with them. But they are clean, cost effective and do not produce CO2 emissions. So they are actually very good when used appropriately and will be a vital part of the portfolio when gas becomes more expensive, unless we go back to mass coal usage.
    What I said still stands. They are an expensive way to generate electricity, they are ghastly, they can only be built with large subsidy, they do have a CO2 trail, they will never shut down any existing conventional power plant as you need backup.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.