Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Aye, a job is a job to be honest ^^

:love:
    Absolutely - This does come up a lot in "cleaner" discussions. But yeah, there are a lot of cleaning jobs around and they are pretty good really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    It sounds similar to what I'm doing at Loughborough (though for a different course). I do the first two years of my course and (providing a get decent marks, 2:1+ average) do a year out in industry then come back and finish my 3rd year. Chances are I'll be offered a job by the people who took me on if they liked me enough.
    At least you went straight to university though, I'll be at college with people doing HNC's in hairdressing (nothing against hairdressers).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    What put me off it initially was that it's not straight into university, I'll have to go to college for 2 years. As some one who applied for Cambridge, Falkirk college is a bit of a difference :lol: But I decided to take it, if I don't like it I can go to university next year.
    INEOS is an absolutely massive company and it's a huge boost for you to have them sponsor you through college then university whilst giving you work experience throughout the duration of the courses and a guaranteed graduate job.

Going straight to university might be better in terms of social life, but you'll only be missing out on two years, you won't be graduating with debt and you won't be worried about whether you'll get a graduate job. The latter is a concern especially for those who went straight to university as there are thousands of graduates each year who all have very similar credentials: highers/advanced highers, 2:1 degree, some part time work in a shop or something, maybe some voluntary work too and a university society. There is nothing to differentiate between them, they don't really stand out. But you won't have to worry about any of that ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    It sounds similar to what I'm doing at Loughborough (though for a different course). I do the first two years of my course and (providing a get decent marks, 2:1+ average) do a year out in industry then come back and finish my 3rd year. Chances are I'll be offered a job by the people who took me on if they liked me enough.
    Placements are good stuff. Paid ones are even better. Having gone through the application process this year, all the signs suggest that not only does it make a student far more employable upon graduation, they often end up with a higher degree classification as a result.

For jobs in our field, it is interesting to note how much value is placed on inter-personal and communication skills. During an interview I had with a software testing house, the manager was particularly interested in my sales assistant job because it ticked those boxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    INEOS is an absolutely massive company and it's a huge boost for you to have them sponsor you through college then university whilst giving you work experience throughout the duration of the courses and a guaranteed graduate job.

Going straight to university might be better in terms of social life, but you'll only be missing out on two years, you won't be graduating with debt and you won't be worried about whether you'll get a graduate job. The latter is a concern especially for those who went straight to university as there are thousands of graduates each year who all have very similar credentials: highers/advanced highers, 2:1 degree, some part time work in a shop or something, maybe some voluntary work too and a university society. There is nothing to differentiate between them, they don't really stand out. But you won't have to worry about any of that ...
    Good

I forgot to add that I get paid during it as well. It's £5.5k in the first year, £8k in the second year and £8.6k in years 3,4 and 5.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I thought all placements in technical fields were paid?

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Good

I forgot to add that I get paid during it as well. It's £5.5k in the first year, £8k in the second year and £8.6k in years 3,4 and 5.
    That sounds even better. Is that including summer placement pay plus money they give you to live on during term time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I've come across a few that aren't though admittedly they were the ones that kinda crossed over into web-design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I've come across a few that aren't though admittedly they were the ones that kinda crossed over into web-design.
    Web Design is so bloody easy to get into (in terms of learning to programme). It's so simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Web Design is so bloody easy to get into (in terms of learning to programme). It's so simple.
    Firstly it's "program" not "programme", secondly Web Design is not programming, it's merely using a "mark up language".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Firstly it's "program" not "programme", secondly Web Design is not programming, it's merely using a "mark up language".
    Whatever

ReputationRep:
    Whatever
    I just don't like people speaking like they know what they're talking about when it comes to programming etc.. when they quite evidently don't.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't like people speaking like they know what they're talking about when it comes to programming etc.. when they quite evidently don't.
    Wrong words the point still stands - web design = piss easy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Wrong words the point still stands - web design = piss easy.
    Depends what you're doing. Creating a website with HTML and maybe a splash of javascript or a CSS template is very easy, but it can get a lot harder depending on how interactive you want the site to be and what you want it to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Depends what you're doing. Creating a website with HTML and maybe a splash of javascript or a CSS template is very easy, but it can get a lot harder depending on how interactive you want the site to be and what you want it to do.
    Oh absolutely - If you look at some websites, they create some absolutely amazing things which take a lot of skill.

Please rate some other members before rating this member again

ReputationRep:
    :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

That sounds even better. Is that including summer placement pay plus money they give you to live on during term time?
    I don't know, I think that's just what they give you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am looking for some more music and I want something specific.

Anyone know of some brilliant songs that are either very vocal [Like Michael Bolton in Jack Sparrow] or whereby the song is quiet but gets loud for the chorus [like Alone by Heart, What About Love by Meatloaf] or that have a fantastic instrumental section [like Bat out of Hell by Meatloaf, United States of Eurasia by Muse, Kashmir by Led Zeppelin, Innuendo by Queen]

* very vocal is the right description but you get what I mean

** Mainly when it gets to the Tony Montana part.

ReputationRep:
    Accidentally unwatched this thread, so re-subscribing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Thanks for letting us know :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    I think you are lying and just want a higher post count. I am on to you Nothos :holmes:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.