Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Personally, I consider the term sexuality a misnomer. I feel it is very much more about emotional feelings rather than sex. There are people who have sex with people of their own gender but still consider themselves heterosexual.
    I see. It's an interesting point. I would probably look more at attraction.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    The funny thing is I can't remember why I like Reading. I've never been to the uni itself, but for some reason I look upon it favourably.
    Well, fair enough. You're welcome to visit

ReputationRep:
    Guys, got a question - How do you pronounce Qatar?

I have been watching BBC news and all the journalists pronounce it cata (as in the first two syllables of catapult). How do you pronounce it?

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    How are we all this evening?
    Very well, what about you good sir?

(Original post by lovely_me)

Why don't you think it should exist Tea? What's wrong with equality? :rolleyes: I thought you were an egalitarian.
    I love a bit of equality but Labour and the equalities office can hardly be proud of anything to do with equality. Genuine equality is the result of cultural change as well as legal, and I don't believe Labour achieved either. It would appear they favoured some over others and culturally speaking we still aren't equal. So an utter failure in my view.

It also fits in nicely with my theory of Direct Harpersonisation - in other words, take a good idea and ruin it by including Harriet Harperson. As part of "improving equality" in Britain we have quotas, recruitment drives only available to certain ethnicities and the nonsensical situation of having to report the ethnic make up of a department or business or whatever - it's a load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    Ka-tar
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have made a Kinsey Scale thread :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Guys, got a question - How do you pronounce Qatar?
    Ca-tar

Very well, what about you good sir?
    Ok thanks.
    Plodding on regardless.

ReputationRep:
    Khatar is how you pronounce Qatar. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    That's what I was getting at. There are men out there who have sex with men because of physical reasons, but they're not gay or bi because they don't feel any attraction, any emotional links to this person of the same sex.
    Sorry, I was unclear. I was talking about physical attraction, not emotional affection. I see myself as bisexual because I go PHWOOAAR when I see a hot woman or man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Ca-tar
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Ka-tar
    Exactly - It has a ****ing r in it. I don't get why journalists are ignoring the r. Ka~Tar

Ok thanks.
    Plodding on regardless.
    Haha keep calm and carry on.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly - It has a ****ing r in it. I don't get why journalists are ignoring the r. Ka~Tar
    No.

It's a Qaf at the start, therefore has the 'h' at the back of the throat with the 'k' sound.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine it would start more with a ch- , as in loch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    No.

It's a Qaf at the start, therefore has the 'h' at the back of the throat with the 'k' sound.
    It's not pronounces ca-ta

To use a similar word from the region: Qat - pronounced cat. Just add ar on it

ReputationRep:
    It's not pronounces ca-ta

To use a similar word from the region: Qat - pronounced cat. Just add ar on it
    It's not pronounced cat. It's pronounced khat. My best friend does Arabic at uni, so I get infiltrated with his anal pronunciation. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's not pronounced cat. It's pronounced khat. My best friend does Arabic at uni, so I get infiltrated with his anal pronunciation. :p:
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/qatar << It pronounces the r.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/qatar << It pronounces the r.
    I know that, I'm not arguing about the r.

I was talking about Qat - and you keep missing out the 'h' sound.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    According to Wikipedia, it's pronounced "ka:tar".

Audio

ReputationRep:
    I know that, I'm not arguing about the r.

I was talking about Qat - and you keep missing out the 'h' sound.
    Anglicise it - the BBC managed to pronounce the beginning bit cat, but they ignore the r. The r is quite clearly present!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the name of the song on the Dulux advert?

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind found it:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13599286

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.