Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Teaddict)
    English is the best language in the world
    To you not me I'm only bothering with it for uni and possible job options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Aren't you like 15 or something? I know you French"men" take a relaxed attitude to everything (supporting people in wars etc) but I don't think a lemonade stand counts, brother.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    No I don't, I'm not a farmer... and I wouldn't want to be
    If I may ask, what are your views on the EU and specifically, the CAP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    The CAP is a heap of ****, quite frankly.

I don't really have an opinion on it other than without it and the EU those in the agriculture industry would have a lot more subsidy wise... but as it stands it isn't too bad for France right now with the current system... Britain gets screwed badly though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Avoid thetrainline.com.
    For all their grandstanding, in 4 years I've never found them any cheaper than the train companies themselves, and that's before you add on their booking fee.

I always find it cheaper to go north than south :holmes:
    I tend to use the East Coast site, I like their interface.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I don't really have an opinion on it other than without it and the EU those in the agriculture industry would have a lot more subsidy wise... but as it stands it isn't too bad for France right now with the current system... Britain gets screwed badly though
    Everyone gets screwed, tbh.

In the long run, I cannot think of anyone who benefits from the CAP.

Some of the French guys I deal with benefit quite a bit (well so they say) and have done for a while but in the UK for instance nearly everyone I have dealt with (although not many guys) say they get nothing from it so it has to be a country by country thing I guess :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

The French benefit quite a bit - If I recall correctly, the French get about 80% of their EU contributions back through cap alone.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of my new avatar? Keep it or go with the old one?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Keep. Occasional change is good.

ReputationRep:
    The French benefit quite a bit - If I recall correctly, the French get about 80% of their EU contributions back through cap alone.
    Yes, but do they really benefit long term?

Food prices go up due to rampant overpayment for over production. More tax needs to be paid to fund the system. The over produced goods are sold dirt cheap to African nations so their farmers end up getting screwed.

Like I said, no one benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but do they really benefit long term?

Food prices go up due to rampant overpayment for over production. More tax needs to be paid to fund the system. The over produced goods are sold dirt cheap to African nations so their farmers end up getting screwed.

Like I said, no one benefits.
    Farmers benefit - without it they would go out of business.

ReputationRep:
    Farmers benefit - without it they would go out of business.
    Do they though? If they could make more money in another industry, but don't want the transition costs (since humans are notoriously short-termist), then keeping them in business artificially isn't helping even them long term.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My life is so frustrating. :emo:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Do they though? If they could make more money in another industry, but don't want the transition costs (since humans are notoriously short-termist), then keeping them in business artificially isn't helping even them long term.
    I have asked a question of you some moons ago upon your thread made of questions.

The farmers I work with do, they also grow to surplus and sell privately (through me for instance if they are growing what my business is about), there is money to be made either way.

What you most likely here are the British farmers who don't get the grants that they need, I don't know why but it happens the British agricultural industry is to be frank going down the ****ter... mainland Europe is where you want to be if you are a farmer.

ReputationRep:
    Well we can get into the whole "food security" issue if we want. These subsidies ensure that we maintain native farmers, that secures food blah blah.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone read The Economist? Is it worth getting? There's a student offer of 12 issues for £12 and I'm not sure whether it's worth reading.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Does anyone read The Economist? Is it worth getting? There's a student offer of 12 issues for £12 and I'm not sure whether it's worth reading.
    I used to, and still do but intermittently. It's good for picking up and putting down - toilet reading and the like. I prefer to buy other things these days though if I'm honest.

(I would definitely buy it for a pound).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.