Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    It was three/four years ago but what is the subject matter?
    Hitler's rise to power. Its not really an essay more - practice exam questions to be honest.

(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Hitler's rise to power. Its not really an essay more - practice exam questions to be honest.
    Didn't cover it in my history exam as we were taught on black/women's rights and the cold war....

ReputationRep:
    Didn't cover it in my history exam as we were taught on black/women's rights and the cold war....
    Damn...

ReputationRep:
    I was at school doing Maths revision.

By the way - anyone who's done a History GCSE - would you mind having a look at my Homework Essay and see if I missed anything?
    What topic?

ReputationRep:
    Damn...
    Munich Putsch, Reichstag Fire, Enabling Act, Kristallnacht, night of the Long Knives etc. GCSE history is just about jumping hoops and name checking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Munich Putsch, Reichstag Fire, Enabling Act, Kristallnacht, night of the Long Knives etc. GCSE history is just about jumping hoops and name checking.
    and learning loads of *******s social and multicultural history that the government has deemed it necessary to inflict upon our teenagers.

Damn...
    I have a knowledge of his rise but my view is slightly different to others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    and learning loads of *******s social and multicultural history that the government has deemed it necessary to inflict upon our teenagers.
    Well not everyone in Britain is a white, middle-class Englishman who goes to an Anglican church. History contains within it a mutlitude of different voices, there is no reason to privilege just one.

ReputationRep:
    Well not everyone in Britain is a white, middle-class Englishman who goes to an Anglican church. History contains within it a mutlitude of different voices, there is no reason to privilege just one.
    Yeah the problem is it goes too far towards a PC agenda, at GCSE level I did:

Rise of the Nazi Party - damn and I was planning to lead a Fascist Party when I grew up aswell but now I realise it's wrong.
    Civil Rights in America - Doesn't have much relevance to British History, it's only in here to further the agenda of multiculturalism
    South African Apartheid - Same as above, the only link we have is that South Africa used to be a British colony and there are Anglo-South Africans.
    Israel/Palestine - Possibly the only useful world relevant subject of the four.

Then Jack the Ripper for coursework (? - just incase our children decide to go around chopping up whores!) and some stuff on Bletchley Park. It's bad enough that our government used to see it fit to constantly shove multiculturalism down our throat believing we're not clever enough to accept it by ourselves, they have to tailor History curriculum choices around subjects which support their position. The only British history I actually did at GCSE level was coursework on a mass murdering lunatic and some code breakers. The only time the British Empire is even mentioned is in association with the slave trade, WW1+2 are only mentioned in social history, the American colonies and American Revolution aren't even mentioned. I could go on and on.

History teaching before University level is pretty shocking. There isn't much point to teaching things like Victorian washerwomen or Victorian children's toys (both things we did pre-GCSE) when vast swathes of our history is ignored.

Don't get me started on the strange reasoning for the Tudors being central to Primary School education. Quite why they are I have no clue, unless Y5's are interested in the reform of the Church of England and worshipping practices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    x
    I thought of a reply but I figure that you might as well just go and comfort yourself in an Andrew Roberts book as you'll get no joy out of me in terms of views about history!

As a point of comparison I did:

Nazi Germany, Medicine through Time, World War 1, and a local history project for my GCSE. I suspect that those choices you had were the result of your school rather than some kind of "government's out to turn me into a leftie" agenda.

ReputationRep:
    They chose to do black/women's rights over the second world war -_-

(Original post by Teaddict)
    They chose to do black/women's rights over the second world war -_-
    Well they did it in Year 9 and I don't think WW2 was offered as GCSE back then
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have a knowledge of his rise but my view is slightly different to others
    Why would it be different?

ReputationRep:
    I have an infected gum due to a dodgy wisdom tooth and a cavity. Woe.

(Original post by Aj12)
    Why would it be different?
    In the way that I believe his road to power came about and what he did etc... apparently according to some I am completely deluded and tbh I don't care about him that much being the mass killer he was!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In the way that I believe his road to power came about and what he did etc... apparently according to some I am completely deluded and tbh I don't care about him that much being the mass killer he was!
    Care to indulge me what you think then?

ReputationRep:
    I thought of a reply but I figure that you might as well just go and comfort yourself in an Andrew Roberts book as you'll get no joy out of me in terms of views about history!

Nazi Germany, Medicine through Time, World War 1, and a local history project for my GCSE. I suspect that those choices you had were the result of your school rather than some kind of "government's out to turn me into a leftie" agenda.
    I much prefer Niall Ferguson Even I have some problems with Roberts, although the jist of what he says is true he's usually far too vehement in his beliefs. Especially towards the Irish, he doesn't seem to much care for them.

Oh I know the choices are made by the school but they're usually from a list of 12 modules, same at A Level. The school chooses which ones to teach but the variety of modules is hardly inspiring and runs along the same social history/multicultural lines. A Level is actually substantially better but then again it's totally up to the school what you're taught so you could get screwed with some boring nonsense like religion in history.

I wish we could have picked a local history thing for GCSE or A-Level. I did consider doing the history of my hometown in WW1 for my dissertation as no one has ever written anything on it but I'm working on that as a side project now....so much newspaper reading considering there's only about 5 records in the IWM relating to men who served in the war from Torquay.

(Original post by Aj12)
    Care to indulge me what you think then?
    Right now? no as I am too tired for a debate past the TV Licence Bill :lol: maybe some other time soon

ReputationRep:

Local history? Were the coal strikes involved in your module? Or the annexing of Wales by England and the overthrow of Llwellyn (I believe that was the name of the last native prince of Wales?)? Basically all I know of Welsh history before devolution. A damning indictment of Anglo-centrist, eh?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Right now? no as I am too tired for a debate past the TV Licence Bill :lol: maybe some other time soon
    Haha fair enough. I can't help but ask I am a bit of a history nut

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.