Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Maths or Economics - which is more awesome?

ReputationRep:
    Economics.

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    The guy on BBC news Channel at the moment should be sacked... his ability to read from a Teleprompter is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Economics.

:ninja:
    hehe, I'm leaning towards this also... I'm so bad at making choices. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    Maths or Economics - which is more awesome?
    I'd like to see you do economics without maths...

(Original post by big-bang-theory)
    I'd like to see you do economics without maths...
    I'd like to see someone try and do maths without eco ... oh, wait.

Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    I'd like to see someone try and do maths without eco ... oh, wait.

Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    I may have originally been doing Economics and Maths but then kicked the Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    I thought of a reply but I figure that you might as well just go and comfort yourself in an Andrew Roberts book as you'll get no joy out of me in terms of views about history!

As a point of comparison I did:

Nazi Germany, Medicine through Time, World War 1, and a local history project for my GCSE. I suspect that those choices you had were the result of your school rather than some kind of "government's out to turn me into a leftie" agenda.
    Basically what I'm doing.

Vietnam, Nazi Germany and Medicine through Time.

ReputationRep:
    Heh. The day I come home the Queen's coming to my town:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-13626664
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Tell her I said wagwaaan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Tell her I said wagwaaan.
    I would if I was invited to the garden party. This could mean that the most awkward party of a 4 hour journey is the last 5 miles because there'll be idiots queuing out the A1 trying to get into Alnwick.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When she dies I hope we get rid of the monarchy

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely but we can but hope.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly, the Queens going to live forever purely to spite Charles.

ReputationRep:
    it's a pity we might even have to wait that long tbh. I would rather be rid of them now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiBoy)
    it's a pity we might even have to wait that long tbh. I would rather be rid of them now.
    Well, it'd take a good deal of time to figure out the constitutional ramifications of getting rid of the monarchy. How would our president (assuming that's what we have) operate - I'm personally in favour of the Irish system which leaves the real power in the hands of the Prime Minister but the ceremonial duties in the hands of the President. We should avoid the mess of the French system with its co-habitation and definitely avoid the American form of tripartite separation of powers.

All of which would take time, the time of Lizzie's biological clock.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it'd take a good deal of time to figure out the constitutional ramifications of getting rid of the monarchy. How would our president (assuming that's what we have) operate - I'm personally in favour of the Irish system which leaves the real power in the hands of the Prime Minister but the ceremonial duties in the hands of the President. We should avoid the mess of the French system with its co-habitation and definitely avoid the American form of tripartite separation of powers.

I suppose, the Irish system seems decent enough, remember reading a while ago about the idea of giving her powers to parliament itself, not sure how that would work though

also - WOOT, EXAM FREE!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:

A key criticism of the monarchy is cost versus function. If political power will still be held by the pm, why have an elected president? Same financial concerns coupled with expensive elections.

If the monarchy does go, just vest the remaining powers into the legislature and don't have a pointless head of state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    A key criticism of the monarchy is cost versus function. If political power will still be held by the pm, why have an elected president? Same financial concerns coupled with expensive elections.

If the monarchy does go, just vest the remaining powers into the legislature and don't have a pointless head of state.
    Because our system afford far too much power to the executive at the expense of the legislature. I'm not really bothered by cost so much as the principle of democracy and merit. An elected head of state at least implies that every office in this country is open to those who are good enough to get to that position even if that view is idealistic in reality.

In any case, if we did rid ourselves of our feudal overlords, it would be a good time to reconsider the executive-legislature divisions and whether we are still comfortable with the primus inter pares nature of the westminster cabinet system.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.