Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    You can always gift them to someone else to give them a subscription :dontknow:
    Maybe. They would have to do something that is more than just rep worthy though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    NO!

Dragonball/Z/Kai is better than Naruto clearly. The characters of Naruto are influenced by DragonBall Z
    No. Full stop. ;p

ReputationRep:
    They're all crap tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Anyone seen that new university being set up within the UOL? New College of the Humanities or some *******s. Lots of well known professors involved and it's a private like Buckinghamshire New University....£18k p/a fees!

I checked out their History course and they want AAA for a university that didn't even exist a few days ago and it's the most theoretical pretentious course I've ever seen, such rubbish.

For anyone wanting more info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13659394
    http://www.nchum.org/

They could at least have picked a better name for it aswell. New College of the Humanities evokes the kind of image of those fake unis/colleges you see in London that are above shops and obviously a front for immigration. So basically pay £9k elsewhere to get a UOL degree or double that amount at this new place, great deal!

About the only benefit to it is that it offers Oxbridge like tutition. Still you'd have to be mad to go there or very rich.
    They do have a dream team of academics though, Niall Ferguson and Dawkins to name just a few.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I imagine that the New College of Humanities will be good for people who are rich and really have a passion for learning for the sake of learning. You won't really get the traditional university experience from it, though, given that it'll be so small.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm half tempted to take a year off and apply.

ReputationRep:
    They're all crap tbh.
    Silence infidel!

(Original post by paddy__power)
    No. Full stop. ;p
    Yes. Fuller stop.

ReputationRep:

Actually made me lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    They do have a dream team of academics though, Niall Ferguson and Dawkins to name just a few.
    I'd still rather not pay £18k p/a for them, considering you get the same degree I got for £9k overall. I mean it'd be great to have one on one tutition with Niall Ferguson but it's not worth that much and won't affect my career prospects. Plus the History curriculum they have up there totally wastes Ferguson's talents.

Also the university title is awful. Should totally have called it Prince Phillip College London.

ReputationRep:

Actually made me lol.
    You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!
    My favourite from '32 Pictures You Need To See Before You Die'

Although top hat cat and pygmy hippo narrowly miss out.

top hat cat

Pygmy Hippo

ReputationRep:
    On the New College of Humanities: one-to-one tutorials aren't necessarily all that, though. I've had some one-to-one, and others with five or six. I think the best size for a supervision is three-to-one, it allows a group dynamic where you can bounce ideas off each other, and I generally find them more engaging and productive, whilst it's still small enough to be the intensive learning environment that is the huge advantage of the tutorial system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    On the New College of Humanities: one-to-one tutorials aren't necessarily all that, though. I've had some one-to-one, and others with five or six. I think the best size for a supervision is three-to-one, it allows a group dynamic where you can bounce ideas off each other, and I generally find them more engaging and productive, whilst it's still small enough to be the intensive learning environment that is the huge advantage of the tutorial system.
    Make your mind up. Are you Oxford or Cambridge? :p:

The New College of Humanities is a joke and makes a mockery of education based on merit. But it's not an entirely surprising development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I'm half tempted to take a year off and apply.
    Hm, as am I - although I'm taking a year out anyway, lol.

If they manage to get other very good academics on board, as I don't imagine those 14 will be doing much of the week in-week out teaching, they could be very good. I'm also interested in how the fees will work, as 18 grand is undoubtedly a lot of money. And that would put me off personally as I wouldn't be able to access that kind of money for university!

That being said though, the courses, particularly History, look awesome. I'm not so sure about their Econ course (which is what I want to study), but that's only because the information on the site at the moment is somewhat sparse. I also like the 'Diploma' sub-course, which I think is reason enough for people to consider the place. And the Professional Skills thingy also seems good.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out; the reception for it on the boards and blogs and been pretty negative, mostly because of the cost, but even though I'm not exactly loaded, if they have some good academics and teachers I'd definitely put in a cheeky application.

ReputationRep:
    Decided to step down as Deputy Chairman in my local Conservative Future branch. The Chairman is an arrogant ****; I can't stand stereotypical Tories with the 'let me whip out Daddy's chequebook' style.

He's also hold some executive position in the county; lucky I'm moving to another CF branch which is just inside London so I'm not his jurisdiction.

The **** :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they'll offer bursaries including 100% fee bursaries to those who warrant them from low income backgrounds. However that doesn't really change anything. If I was from a low income background and had triple A's I'd be looking to get into Oxbridge, not some for profit squatters in the UOL. I'm surprised the UOL even cut a deal with them, the last thing we need in Senate House is a bunch of extreme Eton educated rahs.

That being said though, the courses, particularly History, look awesome.
    Looks god awful. Tons of theory about historiography, a whole bunch of classical literature which belongs in a Classics degree and such thrilling subjects as Blasphemy, irreligion and the English Enlightenment 1650-1720.

Ferguson is only a visiting professor too, the other history professors mentioned don't elicit much enthusiasm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Looks god awful. Tons of theory about historiography, a whole bunch of classical literature which belongs in a Classics degree and such thrilling subjects as Blasphemy, irreligion and the English Enlightenment 1650-1720.
    Exactly. It has a very, very skewed idea of what history (or History) is.

ReputationRep:
    The Economics course - the first year maths/stats looks similar to here [although it's one paper here]. The fact they've bundled the micro/macro into one course makes me doubt the depth of it, while there seems to be less emphasis on placing the theory in real world context, as we do with both politics and history. The micro/macro description for second and third year looks like the stuff we've covered this year. It just seems a bit, well, average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Make your mind up. Are you Oxford or Cambridge? :p:
    I'll always be a tab. :p:

(Though, in all honesty, there seems to be far less difference between the institutions than either of the student bodies would like to admit).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    I'll always be a tab. :p:

(Though, in all honesty, there seems to be far less difference between the institutions than either of the student bodies would like to admit).
    It was more that you said supervison (like a tab) but partly corrected to tutorial (like an Oxonian). I'd rather have a tute than a supe.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.