Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    *advice :mmm:

Neither is better, we just have different views. I personally think someone should wear whatever they want.
    Wrong, my advice is better than yours :cool:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Fair enough, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Just watching BBC news. They have a female economist on talking about how George Osborne is wrong blah blah blah... yet she is one of the left wing signatories to a letter criticising Osborne... why bring her on? We know what her views are, she isn't necessary. The IMF just gave Osborne their support, let's bring on an openly left wing critic.

Economics are just like politicians... you should never have one on a programme without a differing opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Just watching BBC news. They have a female economist on talking about how George Osborne is wrong blah blah blah... yet she is one of the left wing signatories to a letter criticising Osborne... why bring her on? We know what her views are, she isn't necessary. The IMF just gave Osborne their support, let's bring on an openly left wing critic.

Economics are just like politicians... you should never have one on a programme without a differing opinion.
    The IMF gave qualified support and the letter from the "left-wing" academics came from exactly the same group that a year ago came out in support of Osborne's plan. Pots and kettles.

ReputationRep:
    when do we find out who the moderator for this section is?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    when do we find out who the moderator for this section is?
    Whenever the mods make a decision I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Ah, playing around with different distros is fun. If you have the time though, the most rewarding distro ever is one you make yourself.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    I dunny have time for that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Did you nominate yourself?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I assume someone nominated Nick, and I assume he will get it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    It doesn't seem that hard tbh, just takes time and patience. Plus it's a good project using only a few gig of space for when you have time. Just set up a 5GB partitition for LFS and use the rest of your HDD for other things. My computer currently has 6 partitions (ext2 /lfs, fat32 /home/Dayne/stuff, NTFS /Windows, ext3 /, ext3 /home and a swap space).

ReputationRep:
    I know someone nominated Aaron - crackintime

ReputationRep:
    Interesting development regarding New College of the humanities.

It gets worse.

ReputationRep:
    The one person I know won't get it is me. Speaker's aren't allowed to be mods.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I know someone nominated Aaron - crackintime
    Clearly I would make the best mod. Beyond that it doesn't matter :cool:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Oh. Well you would have been my nomination
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Have the mods said this? Don't see why the Speaker would be ineligable for the role tbh, but maybe there is a reason I haven't thought about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    Interesting development regarding New College of the humanities.

It gets worse.
    Well yeah... the veneer of publicity and a love-in with currently in-vogue academics was always going to wear off when we got past the notion that this is anything other than a second offering for rich folk. Can't get into Oxford or Cambridge? Try again or go elsewhere, the piece of paper is worth the same. It just isn't worth £18k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Well yeah... the veneer of publicity and a love-in with currently in-vogue academics was always going to wear off when we got past the notion that this is anything other than a second offering for rich folk. Can't get into Oxford or Cambridge? Try again or go elsewhere, the piece of paper is worth the same. It just isn't worth £18k.
    Hmm perhaps to some it is worth £18k... if they are wealthy enough and didn't get into Oxbridge, they might go there.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm perhaps to some it is worth £18k... if they are wealthy enough and didn't get into Oxbridge, they might go there.
    I really hate the term Oxbridge! If they are wealthy and can't get into Oxford and Cambridge on merit why should they be allowed to pay? Frankly? The reason Oxford and Cambridge are able to peddle themselves as the elite of the elite is because everyone who goes there is recognised as being very good at what they do and very able to learn in the style that those universities teach in.

Is education in this country to be based on merit or ability to pay? If the latter, someone show me the door...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Have the mods said this? Don't see why the Speaker would be ineligable for the role tbh, but maybe there is a reason I haven't thought about.
    They have. I think it makes sense in some ways, as I can see how having one person for both roles could cause problems along the line. I dunno about when you were Speaker, but I've found it useful at times to have a seperate person as mod and I reckon T/J did too.

I should mention that if I had put myself forward, and the mods had chosen me, I would have had to step down as Speaker. I think this role is better though!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.