Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    I really hate the term Oxbridge! If they are wealthy and can't get into Oxford and Cambridge on merit why should they be allowed to pay? Frankly? The reason Oxford and Cambridge are able to peddle themselves as the elite of the elite is because everyone who goes there is recognised as being very good at what they do and very able to learn in the style that those universities teach in.

Is education in this country to be based on merit or ability to pay? If the latter, someone show me the door...
    Oxbridge still turn away many students with decent grades. There are always stories of students with all As being rejected - why can't they go here?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why anyone would for £18k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Oxbridge still turn away many students with decent grades. There are always stories of students with all As being rejected - why can't they go here?
    People get rejected for many reasons and just because a person has AAA at A Level doesn't make them suitable students at Oxford or Cambridge. That's just how it is. If overly wealthy folks want to pay their way into higher education let them flock to America.

ReputationRep:
    People get rejected for many reasons and just because a person has AAA at A Level doesn't make them suitable students at Oxford or Cambridge. That's just how it is. If overly wealthy folks want to pay their way into higher education let them flock to America.
    and put money in the American system when they can do it here? No thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes but Adorno this New College of Humanities is absolutely nothing like Oxford or Cambridge, though. It copies the syllabus from other universities (but not Oxford or Cambridge), it'll be tiny and probably have a **** student life/sports/societies etc and to top it all off, the big name academics teaching there will probably only deliver the odd guest lecture!

It's a scam, that is all.

Are you guys talking about the new Uni? it isn't the first private university in the UK, I applied to Richmond which has something like £15k a year... didn't get in though but if the new place wants to charge £18k and people want to pay £18k why should anyone who isn't going there care? from what I can tell it is crap right now but in a few years who knows

ReputationRep:
    and put money in the American system when they can do it here? No thanks.
    But they're not putting any money into the American system. This is just the point about private institutions - the only organisation who gets money from Yale is Yale. The same with the NCH. Britain has long held to the principle that higher education is there on merit and not to the ability to pay, I don't see why we should squander that now for the sake of a few celebrity academics to show how wonderful they are.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Have the mods said this? Don't see why the Speaker would be ineligable for the role tbh, but maybe there is a reason I haven't thought about.
    They have, yes. When I was told that I'd been nominated, I asked why and was told:

The two roles are totally different, and we don't want one person to end up in total control of the HoC for one thing, trust me that if you became the HoC mod you'd see the problems I'm avoiding here. I'm aware of the role of the DS/S, but you'll find modding impossible whilst being in the position of DS/S because any modding decision you make will be jumped upon. That's why the roles are separated. I have no problem with being involved politically in the HoC whilst being a moderator, but avoiding total dominance of the House is for the sake of the HoC moderator, so that they are able to perform their modding duties uninhibited.
    I think that's reasonable tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Are you guys talking about the new Uni? it isn't the first private university in the UK, I applied to Richmond which has something like £15k a year... didn't get in though but if the new place wants to charge £18k and people want to pay £18k why should anyone who isn't going there care? from what I can tell it is crap right now but in a few years who knows
    This place? http://www.richmond.ac.uk/ I think it's an American venture rather than a private UK university as such. The only one that exists is Buckingham. http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    They have, yes. When I was told that I'd been nominated, I asked why and was told:

I think that's reasonable tbh.
    Yup, makes sense to me. I knew there would be a reason. Has taken a while for them to make a decision though.

This place? http://www.richmond.ac.uk/ I think it's an American venture rather than a private UK university as such. The only one that exists is Buckingham. http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/
    Yeah that is the place, you sure it isn't considered private?

ReputationRep:
    But they're not putting any money into the American system. This is just the point about private institutions - the only organisation who gets money from Yale is Yale. The same with the NCH. Britain has long held to the principle that higher education is there on merit and not to the ability to pay, I don't see why we should squander that now for the sake of a few celebrity academics to show how wonderful they are.
    American Universities offer funds for poorer American students do they not? This University will also be offering money to poorer students - rich students pay a lot of money to get in, poorer students benefit as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Yeah that is the place, you sure it isn't considered private?
    Oh it's private alright, just not counted as a "private university" in the same way as Buckingham is. It's a US college that has a base here in the UK as far as I can see from their website. American universities do this a lot - they have outlets all over Europe.

ReputationRep:
    American Universities offer funds for poorer American students do they not? This University will also be offering money to poorer students - rich students pay a lot of money to get in, poorer students benefit as a result.
    So it's not about merit then? Can't get into Oxford ... don't worry find yourself a poor lad who gets AAA and get a 2 for 1 offer at the New College of Humanities, because every little prole helps.

You need to make the distinction between State universities in the US and the Ivy League. What this college is aiming for is the privatised existence of the Ivy League schools whilst leeching off the course structures of public universities.

Are you talking Ivy League? as then yes the fees are extortion... $55k py :eek: but there are bursaries and all of that for poorer students yes but public colleges in the US are more or less the same price as UK universities from 2012 entry with limited bursaries.
    Oh it's private alright, just not counted as a "private university" in the same way as Buckingham is. It's a US college that has a base here in the UK as far as I can see from their website. American universities do this a lot - they have outlets all over Europe.
    Ah okay.

ReputationRep:
    So it's not about merit then? Can't get into Oxford ... don't worry find yourself a poor lad who gets AAA and get a 2 for 1 offer at the New College of Humanities, because every little prole helps.

You need to make the distinction between State universities in the US and the Ivy League. What this college is aiming for is the privatised existence of the Ivy League schools whilst leeching off the course structures of public universities.
    I just said earlier many students get As

[I am not interested in the course structure - merely the university itself]

ReputationRep:
    [I am not interested in the course structure - merely the university itself]
    Fine, but if you're going to talk about "the American system" you do need to recognise the quite stark differences between public universities there and those of the Ivy League.

ReputationRep:
    Fine, but if you're going to talk about "the American system" you do need to recognise the quite stark differences between public universities there and those of the Ivy League.
    You brought up the America...

ReputationRep:
    You brought up the America...
    Go and read your own posts. I said: they can go to America and pay through the nose to get into university. You twisted that by talking about a monolithic "American system" of which there is no such thing.

ReputationRep:
    Just watching BBC news. They have a female economist on talking about how George Osborne is wrong blah blah blah... yet she is one of the left wing signatories to a letter criticising Osborne... why bring her on? We know what her views are, she isn't necessary. The IMF just gave Osborne their support, let's bring on an openly left wing critic.

Economics are just like politicians... you should never have one on a programme without a differing opinion.
    the same IMF that back Gordon Browns plans, but it was ok for the right to openly attack him

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.