Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    They don't care about us at all. It was just that in 1983 thatcher managed to win a load of seats in Wales and so she thought by giving jobs to places like Cardiff and Newport (which had been tory for much of the twentieth century) she'd keep it that way. Of course then 1984 happened and that was that. The valleys are as neglected as Torbay. My auntie lives in Paignton so I'm fairly familiar with the area and have seen the neglect it has suffered for years. What doesn't help is that none of these areas will gang together and force a change from the South-East centric governments of either colour.
    The valleys perhaps not but the urban areas of South Wales see investment, stuff like the government directed redevelopment of Cardiff Bay, the least said about the North West the better. Manchester(/Salford) is already thriving and yet the BBC and ITV relocate thousands of jobs up there as part of diversifying their jobs away from London. So they diversify them to the 2nd/3rd city of the country, which is actually economically quite healthy. Brilliant job there guys when that kind of investment could have turned a whole town around.

I think it's a case that politicians become nativised to London. They forget there is a world and a way of life beyond London and the Home Counties and refuse to challenge it in favour of the provinces because of the amount of votes London controls. Even MPs of deprived regions seem to spend little time challenging the London consensus (which is where I think a lot of the multiculturalist drive comes from as an aside, London based MPs and think thanks thinking the whole country is like London). Our MP is deputy chief whip of the Liberal Democrats and on a number of select committes and has never really achieved much of note besides being ignored by everyone when he mentions his constituency.

You bring up a really good point that they should all team up but I think more often than not they seem to be directly competing for whatever money is on the table rather than working together and Torbay not having the devastation of the Thatcher years or publicity of larger regions is always ignored when money is handed out. Probably much like the Valleys except people are actually aware of the deprivation of the Valleys, whereas Torbay is just 'nice seaside resort, not as good as it used to be' in most people's minds, if they even know about the region.

Libya is very, very wrong though.
    I'm a humanitarian interventionist, my foreign policy differs little from Blair's aside from Iraq. Iraq being a war that diverged from 'war to protect those in immediate danger from their governments' such as Kosovo. Thus I largely support the Libyan situation even if the way it has been handled has been cack handed because of our lack of military resources.

If the SNP win the referendum it would be immense. I think they're more likely to turn Britain into a federal state - the best solution of all - but we shall see.
    I don't know if immense would be the word for it....the Federal situation is actually something I've long been drawn to. I keep meaning to find a book to read on exactly how the federal system works in the US in detail and seeing whether that would transfer neatly to the four home countries but I've never had the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Anyone who says there's no good modern music needs to check out Bon Iver.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mBU...el_video_title

I just covered a Bon Iver song )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Moderator.
    No I did not, furthermore I have no idea as to where the nominees are to be seen?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    No I did not, furthermore I have no idea as to where the nominees are to be seen?
    Only mods be able to see who has been nominated. I belive only super mods at that, though I could be mistaken.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Only mods be able to see who has been nominated. I belive only super mods at that, though I could be mistaken.
    That clears that up then!

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I am loving all this fuss over the banks.

First it is: THE BANKS ARE LENDING TOO MUCH!!!!
    Then: THE BANKS AREN'T LENDING ENOUGH!?!?!?!

First it is: YOU HAVE TO KEEP MORE CAPITAL
    Then: YOU HAVE TO LEND MORE!

The banks just can't win...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I blame the parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)

They have enough to keep capital and lend more to small businesses. The issue is they'd rather funnel it into high risk but high pay off schemes rather than lend to small companies which has a much lower % return.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    They have enough to keep capital and lend more to small businesses. The issue is they'd rather funnel it into high risk but high pay off schemes rather than lend to small companies which has a much lower % return.
    They are being told to increase their capital.

ReputationRep:

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    They are being told to increase their capital.
    I'm quite aware of that. I didn't deny that, my point was that they aren't doing it and also aren't lending more to small business. Which is what Project Merlin is supposed to be about along with banking bonuses.

As an aside Taylor Swift is bloody awful.

ReputationRep:

The problem is that, in the current system, banks win too much!

So anyone else excited for the Playstation 3DTV? that and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception... :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    I'm quite aware of that. I didn't deny that, my point was that they aren't doing it and also aren't lending more to small business. Which is what Project Merlin is supposed to be about along with banking bonuses.

As an aside Taylor Swift is bloody awful.
    You have proof that they aren't increasing their capital?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    So anyone else excited for the Playstation 3DTV? that and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception... :sexface:
    I'm still not convinced by 3DTV as it is just now. I am very excited for Uncharted 3 though :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else become addicted to Cityville on Facebook or is it just me? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I'm sick of all the 3d crap coming out these days - mainly because it's no good for me, my dodgy left eye means I don't have the depth perception for any 3D TV/film/game/whatever.

ReputationRep:
    The game I am looking forward to is Skyrim 11.11.11

(Original post by sandys1000)
    I'm still not convinced by 3DTV as it is just now. I am very excited for Uncharted 3 though :coma:
    IDK Active 3D is decent but Sony's new one for the PS 3DTV sounds good on paper. And yes Uncharted 3 I still haven't played the first one though went into to town to buy it today and couldn't find it so I am stuck with Among Thieves

Guess I'll be importing it from the US :cool:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I'm sick of all the 3d crap coming out these days - mainly because it's no good for me, my dodgy left eye means I don't have the depth perception for any 3D TV/film/game/whatever.
    :sad:
    The game I am looking forward to is Skyrim 11.11.11
    Elder Scrolls? it looks decent

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.