Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    What makes you say that?
    Gave me some advice on my A2 History exam tomorrow in another thread I know he's a loony lefty but he's not all bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Amazon US although it isn't coming direct as it can't but shipped so sending it to my aunt's and she is sending it on with some things for mum
    So it's not free: your aunt's paying for it

If I'm reading it correctly, that seems quite cheap.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Certainly he is entitled to his personal views, as we all are.

The key distinction, however, is that his statements were not befitting his role. His role is ecumenical and he shouldn't, in his position, be writing criticisms of the democratic government in such a public manner.

It would be a different situation if his article were based on a religious view, but it isn't, it is an entirely secular view, which he shouldn't really be doing as the de jure leader of the Anglian church's day to day matters.
    I don't think the conclusion is apt really. The fact he has a religiously relevant role doesn't, in my view, preclude it being appropriate for him to express his views, such as they are, however he wants.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    Gave me some advice on my A2 History exam tomorrow in another thread I know he's a loony lefty but he's not all bad
    He has his moments of non-failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    If I'm reading it correctly, that seems quite cheap.
    How're you reading it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Certainly he is entitled to his personal views, as we all are.

The key distinction, however, is that his statements were not befitting his role. His role is ecumenical and he shouldn't, in his position, be writing criticisms of the democratic government in such a public manner.

It would be a different situation if his article were based on a religious view, but it isn't, it is an entirely secular view, which he shouldn't really be doing as the de jure leader of the Anglian church's day to day matters.
    See, the bonus is Brucie that he's from Swansea so the notion that he's never going to speak out against Tories and their cuts is fairly daft. If you don't think Rowan Williams befits the role what about Archbishop Runcie in the 1980s? He did exactly the same thing. Tory cuts in the 1980s prompted Oxford to refuse an honourary DPhil to Thatcher. Today, Oxford calls no-confidence in Tory HE policies. It's a rerun of then only because of what she-who-shall-not-be-missed did there's no strong Left to stand up and say it's wrong. So we have, bizarrely, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Welsh head of the English established church doing the job of the opposition. This is what Tories do to the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    How're you reading it?
    £10 per thousand views for the standard one.

ReputationRep:
    £10 per thousand views for the standard one.
    It's cheap when you say it like that.

But when you look at overall site activity (http://staffblog.thestudentroom.co.u...er-may-on-tsr/) it must make a fair bit.

The £3000 for an official rep strikes me as odd but :dontknow:

Edit: put in a better link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    This is what Tories do to the country.
    What? Outmatch the opposition so brilliantly that non-politicians must come in to provide some shred of opposition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    What? Outmatch the opposition so brilliantly that non-politicians must come in to provide some shred of opposition?
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    :rolleyes:

Haha I know right - your avatar says it all

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying isn't it.
    It's nice to see even Adorno appreciating the brilliance of the Conservative Party in destroying opposition through brilliantly crafted policies and comebacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    It's cheap when you say it like that.

But when you look at overall site activity (http://staffblog.thestudentroom.co.u...er-may-on-tsr/) it must make a fair bit.

The £3000 for an official rep strikes me as odd but :dontknow:

Edit: put in a better link
    It seems like half those options have never been used.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to see even Adorno appreciating the brilliance of the Conservative Party in destroying opposition through brilliantly crafted policies and comebacks.
    I sometimes wonder what planet you live on but then I remember your only source of news is the Daily Telegraph and I cease wondering. If you fail to recognise the consequences of the Head of the Church of England (not exactly known for its left-leaning sympathies) criticising a largely Conservative Government then that's your own problem.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like half those options have never been used.
    There are a few official reps lurking round in some of the forums although they're always fairly inactive :dontknow:

I've never seen a 'homepage takeover' either.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes wonder what planet you live on but then I remember your only source of news is the Daily Telegraph and I cease wondering
    For the record, the majority of my news come from the BBC.

1. BBC News Channel
    2. BBC News Online
    3. Daily Politics [BBC]
    4. Andrew Marr Show [BBC]
    5. Politics Show {BBC]
    6. Daily Telegraph Online
    7. Daily Telegraph News paper

Clearly the BBC is more represented.

If you fail to recognise the consequences of the Head of the Church of England (not exactly known for its left-leaning sympathies) criticising a largely Conservative Government then that's your own problem
    Williams is a liberal. /End.

Largely Conservative? The Lib Dems are getting more policies than the Conservatives - 75% to 60%.

ReputationRep:
    For the record, the majority of my news come from the BBC.

1. BBC News Channel
    2. BBC News Online
    3. Daily Politics [BBC]
    4. Andrew Marr Show [BBC]
    5. Politics Show {BBC]
    6. Daily Telegraph Online
    7. Daily Telegraph News paper

Clearly the BBC is more represented.
    That's a wonderful mixture of informed opinion there. Lap up Nick Robinson (OUCA president as he was) but turn off when Paul Mason comes on ... oh wait you don't watch Newsnight so there's no "left-scum" on your telly. Hah. Such a cliche.

Williams is a liberal. /End.
    Clearly you don't get it then.

Largely Conservative? The Lib Dems are getting more policies than the Conservatives - 75% to 60%.
    Really? Orange Book economic policies don't count since you could swap George Osborne and David Laws and nothing would change. *******ing up the NHS is a Liberal Democrat policy? Charging £9,000 fees for HE is a Lib Dem policy? Trying to sell off forestry lands is a Lib Dem policy? Privatising schools is a Lib Dem policy? The Lib Dems might have got AV but let's face it, the high profile mess is caused by your Party not theirs.

ReputationRep:
    See, the bonus is Brucie that he's from Swansea so the notion that he's never going to speak out against Tories and their cuts is fairly daft. If you don't think Rowan Williams befits the role what about Archbishop Runcie in the 1980s? He did exactly the same thing. Tory cuts in the 1980s prompted Oxford to refuse an honourary DPhil to Thatcher. Today, Oxford calls no-confidence in Tory HE policies. It's a rerun of then only because of what she-who-shall-not-be-missed did there's no strong Left to stand up and say it's wrong. So we have, bizarrely, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Welsh head of the English established church doing the job of the opposition. This is what Tories do to the country.
    Firstly, the fact that the official opposition are so useless should not be an invitation for someone who is meant to deal exclusively in ecumenical matters to start becoming a political pundit. It sets a bit of a bad precedent for the CoE in my mind.

Secondly, I don't think it's fair to say that a lack of strong opposition is due to the Tories. I think it's due to Labour being in much the same position as the Tories post-1997. There are different factions popping up. Those who want to keep with New Labour ideals, those who want to see a more left-leaning centrist approach, and I think we'll soon be seeing a reincarnation of the militants. I think this is why Ed Miliband is a poor choice of leader, as he lacks the ability to unite the party broadly under a single ideological banner.

Until this settles down and one side clinches control, and, equally importantly, makes themselves presentable to the public, we're going to see a weak opposition, it's inevitable when a party has been in government for as long as they have been.

I sometimes wonder what planet you live on but then I remember your only source of news is the Daily Telegraph and I cease wondering. If you fail to recognise the consequences of the Head of the Church of England (not exactly known for its left-leaning sympathies) criticising a largely Conservative Government then that's your own problem.
    FYI, he isn't the head of the Church of England, Lizzie is. But I'm not going to drag this into an absurd UniOfLife-esq semantics debate.

ReputationRep:
    That's a wonderful mixture of informed opinion there. Lap up Nick Robinson (OUCA president as he was) but turn off when Paul Mason comes on ... oh wait you don't watch Newsnight so there's no "left-scum" on your telly. Hah. Such a cliche.
    I forgot about Newsnight

Really? Orange Book economic policies don't count since you could swap George Osborne and David Laws and nothing would change. *******ing up the NHS is a Liberal Democrat policy? Charging £9,000 fees for HE is a Lib Dem policy? Trying to sell off forestry lands is a Lib Dem policy? Privatising schools is a Lib Dem policy? The Lib Dems might have got AV but let's face it, the high profile mess is caused by your Party not theirs.
    Oh wow, nice argument, let's take a tiny example to justify nothing. Doesn't take away from the fact that the Lib Dems are getting more policies enacted.

And who the **** is privatising schools? What are you on about? You made this one up.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.