Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Fair enough
    I'm probably going to university for the wrong reasons - social life and won't get anywhere decent without a degree. I absolutely loathe studying. I'm not stupid though; I am probably high average in terms of intelligence

But in the long-term I want to progress with a political career was a Campaign Manager at Local Elections (2011), its looking possible that I might be able to stand for County in 2013 and I will see from there.

At least I have ambition I guess

Edit: Ok sorry....dunno why I'm giving you my life story lol

(Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    What's wrong with a Met uni?
    A lot if London Met was anything to go by
    I'm not stupid though; I am probably high average in terms of intelligence.
    Some of the things you have written here make me doubt that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    A lot if London Met was anything to go by

Some of the things you have written here make me doubt that
    Oh I see

Well don't judge by who I am over the internet I met Tucker at Conference last year and he says I'm so much different in person

Are you going to Conference? Not sure if French Conservatives go or not lol
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm probably going to university for the wrong reasons - social life and won't get anywhere decent without a degree. I absolutely loathe studying. I'm not stupid though; I am probably high average in terms of intelligence
    I'm not going to comment. :p:

But in the long-term I want to progress with a political career was a Campaign Manager at Local Elections (2011), its looking possible that I might be able to stand for County in 2013 and I will see from there.
    Have you considered getting a job that will get you where you want to be and doing your degree through the OU?

At least I have ambition I guess

Edit: Ok sorry....dunno why I'm giving you my life story lol
    It's not problem - this is a bar after all.

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately this is the problem with modern politics. Politics isn't a career - or at least it shouldn't be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Have you considered getting a job that will get you where you want to be and doing your degree through the OU?

It's not problem - this is a bar after all.
    I could try. I mean I know people in politics so I might be able to get something there but very uncertain at the moment. I had thought of that but I then thought about the social life I would be missing; plus with studying I need structure and I think the OU wouldn't provide that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Ultimately this is the problem with modern politics. Politics isn't a career - or at least it shouldn't be.
    I think it is a career to an extent. Once you win local elections then you start progressing slowly but once one becomes an MP and is slotted into a relatively safe seat then you could spend years climbing the political ladder. That's something I'd love to do

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a career to an extent. Once you win local elections then you start progressing slowly but once one becomes an MP and is slotted into a relatively safe seat then you could spend years climbing the political ladder. That's something I'd love to do
    That's not really what I mean. What I mean is, politics is something you ought to come to having worked in other fields. What good is is being a lawmaker if you only have "politics" as an experience? I fail to see what a special adviser brings to parliament except a love of power and greed. Makes for a dodgy combination.

ReputationRep:
    That's not really what I mean. What I mean is, politics is something you ought to come to having worked in other fields. What good is is being a lawmaker if you only have "politics" as an experience? I fail to see what a special adviser brings to parliament except a love of power and greed. Makes for a dodgy combination.
    I guess but actual lawmaking is done by civil servants on most occasions. MPs in my opinion are the people who push for policy to be implemented. Alan Johnson, for example, was a postman before being elected as an MP and he was in the last Government. Granted that's probably not something he should be proud of but he still has had no experience which would make him a good 'lawmaker' so to speak. I guess that's why we don't select Ministers based on their experience; we have a doctor as the Defence Sec for instance.

Edit: I also believe that to come from politics is good as you understand how Parliament works, how to get things done etc

Politics for me is a vocation; it will be tough to succeed but its something I am determined to do for a variety of reasons.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I could try. I mean I know people in politics so I might be able to get something there but very uncertain at the moment. I had thought of that but I then thought about the social life I would be missing; plus with studying I need structure and I think the OU wouldn't provide that.
    Hmmm, ok then. Well I suppose it's up to you. We all have our own reasons - I only really went to avoid being homeless.

I guess but actual lawmaking is done by civil servants on most occasions. MPs in my opinion are the people who push for policy to be implemented. Alan Johnson, for example, was a postman before being elected as an MP and he was in the last Government. Granted that's probably not something he should be proud of but he still has had no experience which would make him a good 'lawmaker' so to speak. I guess that's why we don't select Ministers based on their experience; we have a doctor as the Defence Sec for instance.

Politics for me is a vocation; it will be tough to succeed but its something I am determined to do for a variety of reasons.
    In Slough :cool:

Are you going to Conference? Not sure if French Conservatives go or not lol
    Well I haven't been to a UK Conservative conference nor have I been to one for the UMP (although I am a card carrier )... but I don't need to as I have met Sarkozy, greatest moment of my life ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Well I haven't been to a UK Conservative conference nor have I been to one for the UMP (although I am a card carrier )... but I don't need to as I have met Sarkozy, greatest moment of my life ever
    My friend saw him and his entourage on the Quai d'Orsay once, I was arriving that evening and was too jealous for words

Due to the fact that he's the world's most famous French person though, and not that he's a hardline conservative nutter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    x
    I will be in Valencia next week. Is there anything I must see/do while I'm there?

Congrats on the modship btw!

ReputationRep:
    But by the very nature of politics, it's always going to attract the sort of person who wants power. You'd have to be foolishly ideal to think that politics could ever be purely something people turn to after having a career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I will be in Valencia next week. Is there anything I must see/do while I'm there?

Congrats on the modship btw!
    Thanks!

To see (and chiefly to see if you don't want to get ripped off) is the City of Arts and Sciences. It's a big Calatrava-designed educational/science park quite near the sea that opened in 2008. A fair trek out of the old town but worth it to see it.

Good places to visit are the Seu (cathedral) which has a lovely tower that you can climb and see the whold city from. I think it's 3€ to climb up. The square it overlooks, Plaza de la Virgen, is beautiful. Likewise the Llotja de la Seda, a C15th beautiful former silk trading hall and the oldest public civic building (I think) in Valencia, that's free to get in.

Good for the morning buzz but a bit expensive is the central market right opposite the Llotja. I went in there only once because I'm not a morning person, but kinda regret it now as I could have picked some great stuff up in there :sad:

Plus there's the beach, which I've also been to surprisingly few times..

For food you can usually get a good three course slap-up meal at lunchtime for under 10€, with paella and fideua mostly featuring. Don't leave Valencia without having had paella from its world HQ!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    But by the very nature of politics, it's always going to attract the sort of person who wants power. You'd have to be foolishly ideal to think that politics could ever be purely something people turn to after having a career.
    Why not? I mean, Bevan turned to it having worked down a mine, Attlee turned to it having served as a Major in the Great War and worked as a social worker in East London? Time and time again you look at the greatest politicians in British history (certain since politics in Britain became more democratic) and you had people from all sorts of backgrounds entering into politics after a career elsewhere. Do we prefer the David Miliband / Nick Clegg / Dai Cam version of politician or the Harold Wilson / Clement Attlee / James Maxton kind? Professional politicians are dangerous and disconnected from the very people that they profess to serve.

ReputationRep:
    My friend saw him and his entourage on the Quai d'Orsay once, I was arriving that evening and was too jealous for words

Due to the fact that he's the world's most famous French person though, and not that he's a hardline conservative nutter.
    I met Bill Clinton once. That was very cool.

He is a great guy I wasn't even expecting to meet him either, it was just a random moment :lol:

Although in saying that I don't think he should get a second term...

ReputationRep:
    Why not? I mean, Bevan turned to it having worked down a mine, Attlee turned to it having served as a Major in the Great War and worked as a social worker in East London? Time and time again you look at the greatest politicians in British history (certain since politics in Britain became more democratic) and you had people from all sorts of backgrounds entering into politics after a career elsewhere. Do we prefer the David Miliband / Nick Clegg / Dai Cam version of politician or the Harold Wilson / Clement Attlee / James Maxton kind? Professional politicians are dangerous and disconnected from the very people that they profess to serve.
    I don't disagree with you, but what I'm saying is that a position of power is always going to attract a person wanting to use that to further themselves rather than the people who elected them.

ReputationRep:

Edit: I also believe that to come from politics is good as you understand how Parliament works, how to get things done etc

I think it's great for politicians to come from proper working backgrounds. Westminster's so completely detached from the real world these days. Politicians are elected in order to represent their constituents? How are they supposed to do that if they've gone straight from University to researcher to special advisor to MP etc? They have no experience of the kind of work that forms the major part of the lives of the vast majority of people?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.