Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    In case people here haven't heard about it yet, (conservative run) westminster council is planning to make it illegal to give food to the homeless as they believe soup kitchens simply keep people homeless. I urge everyone, regardless of party, to sign the petition to stop this.

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org....n/soup-run.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I don't disagree with you, but what I'm saying is that a position of power is always going to attract a person wanting to use that to further themselves rather than the people who elected them.
    Sure, and I'm not so naive as to ignore the draw of power but it's a bit alarming when a 17 or 18 year old talks about wanting to be an MP and going through the SPAD route. It's not just alarming, it's very, very sad because it signals that person is willing to ignore everything that has be shown to be wrong with professional, careerist politicians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    In case people here haven't heard about it yet, (conservative run) westminster council is planning to make it illegal to give food to the homeless as they believe soup kitchens simply keep people homeless. I urge everyone, regardless of party, to sign the petition to stop this.

I don't even see the logic behind that...
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I don't even see the logic behind that...
    Apparently soup kitchens promote homelessness

I love liberties article in the guardian entitled 'No one sleeps rough for a free sandwich', mainly for the title.

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/campaigns/soup-run/soup-run.php
    :facepalm2: The more I read the more I dislike Tories again. :sigh:

ReputationRep:

I love liberties article in the guardian entitled 'No one sleeps rough for a free sandwich', mainly for the title.
    It's the whole argument between the deserving and the undeserving poor. We have (almost) come full circle back to Thomas Chalmers and his moralising of the poor that they were poor because they drank too much, were lazy (wouldn't work), and shagged till the babies hung off the rafters.

ReputationRep:

Signed it, it's an absolutely ridiculous proposal.

(Original post by Adorno)
    It's the whole argument between the deserving and the undeserving poor. We have (almost) come full circle back to Thomas Chalmers and his moralising of the poor that they were poor because they drank too much, were lazy (wouldn't work), and shagged till the babies hung off the rafters.
    I think even the undeserving poor deserve free soup? Not that I'm fully up on my deserving/undeserving poor.

ReputationRep:

*sigh*
    There is actually no logic behind that proposal. Some people in the party just piss me off tbh - especially when they come out with crap like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    I think even the undeserving poor deserve free soup? Not that I'm fully up on my deserving/undeserving poor.
    Not when you go to the extremes of the theory: the undeserving poor deserve no help at all because it makes them "lazy". The only people worth offering help to are those who are willing to work for it: hence the workhouse.

Not when you go to the extremes of the theory: the undeserving poor deserve no help at all because it makes them "lazy". The only people worth offering help to are those who are willing to work for it: hence the workhouse.
    I see, not a modern theory then. :unimpressed:

Also, just noticed your avatar is Toby Ziegler. Kudos, kudos. Although I'd have preferred a CJ avatar.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/campaigns/soup-run/soup-run.php
    You know I've signed it!

:facepalm2: The more I read the more I dislike Tories again. :sigh:
    You say this as if it's a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    I see, not a modern theory then. :unimpressed:

Also, just noticed your avatar is Toby Ziegler. Kudos, kudos. Although I'd have preferred a CJ avatar.
    No, Chalmers was a nineteenth-century Scottish minister. He drew his theories of morality from the work of Thomas Malthus's population theories and worked them together with some of his own notion of who the poor were. All of this took place in the context not only of the passing of the so-called New Poor Law of 1834 (which set up the workhouse) but also the introduction of a Poor Law to Scotland (which had never had one before) in the 1840s. Not to mention, of course, the issue of the Irish Famine (which attracted its own Poor Law in 1838) that brought many hundreds of thousands of Irish people to Britain in search of relief from the disasterous poverty that they faced in places like Skibbereen, Schull, and so on.

(Original post by Stricof)
    You say this as if it's a bad thing
    Considering my third spectrum change in as many years is probably a bad thing. I wish I could just decide who was right and stick by it. :sigh:

Fecking politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    Honourable and Right Honourable members may recall that PMQ's was closed to new questions, following last night's update.
    I'm neither :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

For ****s sake. :facepalm2:

It's ****-wits like this, who give the rest of us a bad name.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    On past record, probably you.
    I lol'd. Please rep another user...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It is a dupe made today according to the join date. I will ask the mods who it is now :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    A forum assistant removing spam from a spam thread. How novel.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.