Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I've got in a fair amount of pasta as well. They should have a TV show where people from rich backgrounds have to try and survive off, say £20 a week (my current budget after rent, for a month. It would be quite interesting to see how quickly they starved.
    I could never survive on £20 a week! I don't come from a rich background....a middle class on to be honest. I couldn't survive because I have never had to (food has always been in the fridge and I never think about the financial side of our household). My Dad has recently retired so the family is being more prudent a bit but he's on three pensions so not a big financial difference. But yeah I could never survive like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Indeed, it would be hilarious.

Posh people:

If you don't laugh you are probably dead :rofl:
    lol, that is brilliant, "it's the eggs, they arent organic!" rofl
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SciFiBoy)
    lol, that is brilliant, "it's the eggs, they arent organic!" rofl
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1674396

Get involved XD
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    How the hell are you in that situation where £2 means so much? Do you go to university? Do you have a job? Support from the Government? :confused:
    I have a total budget of just over £20 a week after rent. Taking a full time job (40 hours a week) would actually mean I would lose £70 a week overall (meaning I would be unable to pay rent). Taking a part time job of 14 hours a week (as I am doing from next week) will mean that I will only drop to slightly less over £20 a week. Yes, I will actually be best off right now sticking to just benefits as the only amount of time that would mean an increase in income for me would be 15 hours a week exactly, which would equal an extra few quid a week.

Living in a homeless hostel is very expensive because of all the support offered (drug and alcohol stuff which you have to go to even if you don't drink or take drugs). This is payed by housing benefit. Taking a job of more than 16 hours a week would lose me this benefit, meaning, as I said earlier, a full time job would actually make me homeless again.

I will be starting a uni course in September, and because of the grants and things there I will be on £30 a week (plus student housing is payed for), plus my income from a part time job, hence why I'm taking that job despite the slight cut in money it's going to bring me now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I could never survive on £20 a week! I don't come from a rich background....a middle class on to be honest. I couldn't survive because I have never had to (food has always been in the fridge and I never think about the financial side of our household). My Dad has recently retired so the family is being more prudent a bit but he's on three pensions so not a big financial difference. But yeah I could never survive like that
    That is the point. Untill you have been in a similar situation to someone like me it is very hard to understand how hard it can be. We do live in a world of extreme inequality.

ReputationRep:
    -_-

Your poverty makes me sad.

ReputationRep:
    I have a total budget of just over £20 a week after rent. Taking a full time job (40 hours a week) would actually mean I would lose £70 a week overall (meaning I would be unable to pay rent). Taking a part time job of 14 hours a week (as I am doing from next week) will mean that I will only drop to slightly less over £20 a week. Yes, I will actually be best off right now sticking to just benefits as the only amount of time that would mean an increase in income for me would be 15 hours a week exactly, which would equal an extra few quid a week.

How does that make sense? Would your rent increase? Surely they recognise that you wouldn't be able to survive and would be on the streets again.

Living in a homeless hostel is very expensive because of all the support offered (drug and alcohol stuff which you have to go to even if you don't drink or take drugs). This is payed by housing benefit. Taking a job of more than 16 hours a week would lose me this benefit, meaning, as I said earlier, a full time job would actually make me homeless again.

I will be starting a uni course in September, and because of the grants and things there I will be on £30 a week (plus student housing is payed for), plus my income from a part time job, hence why I'm taking that job despite the slight cut in money it's going to bring me now.
    Could you not be transferred to a council flat rather than a hostel? Well the Tory policy recently has been to make sure that everyone is better off in work rather than on benefits I'm tempted to write to my MP (Chris Grayling), who is the Minister for Work and Pensions about your case. It seems silly the way that its done at the moment

ReputationRep:
    That is the point. Untill you have been in a similar situation to someone like me it is very hard to understand how hard it can be. We do live in a world of extreme inequality.
    I'd hate for everyone to be equal; I'd hate to live in a world where we all earn £50k a year, all can afford the same cars etc. I feel capitalism and competition is good for society; but there will always be winners and losers.

However, I feel everyone is equally important. The homeless man is important and we must do what we can to help him so I'd argue we live in a society where everyone isn't equally important.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'd hate for everyone to be equal; I'd hate to live in a world where we all earn £50k a year, all can afford the same cars etc. I feel capitalism and competition is good for society; but there will always be winners and losers.

However, I feel everyone is equally important. The homeless man is important and we must do what we can to help him so I'd argue we live in a society where everyone isn't equally important.
    If you feel like that why are you a Tory?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    How does that make sense? Would your rent increase? Surely they recognise that you wouldn't be able to survive and would be on the streets again.

Could you not be transferred to a council flat rather than a hostel? Well the Tory policy recently has been to make sure that everyone is better off in work rather than on benefits I'm tempted to write to my MP (Chris Grayling), who is the Minister for Work and Pensions about your case. It seems silly the way that its done at the moment
    My rent would stay the same, but if I was working over 16 hours the amount of Housing benefit I would be eligable for would drop dramatically, meaning I wouldn't be able to continue living here. As I say, I've worked it out with someone at the job centre that if I were to get a full time (40 hours a week) job I would be £70 a week worse off.

Yep, a flat would be much cheaper. I've been on the waiting list for a flat for quite a few years though. I'm over 18, have no children, am not disabled, etc. so there is no reason for me to have priority. While I can keep looking for a landlord that is willing to accept me without a deposit (how can I save hundreds for a deposit from £20 a week?) and is willing to accept housing benefit (most are not) there are not enough houses avalible in the public sector.

It is something that definately needs reform tbh. We even got told when moving in here not to look for full time work as it will put our ability to pay for accomodation here in jeopardy due to the costs. This is why it is very difficult to get out of the homeless-hostel cycle. You just have to wait for an oppertunity to get out to come along. Mine comes in September.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel like that why are you a Tory?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Equality of opportunity not intrinsic equality, so many people miss the distinction. But yes, if this is your reasoning then fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Equality of opportunity not intrinsic equality, so many people miss the distinction. But yes, if this is your reasoning then fair enough.
    No it isn't!

ReputationRep:
    wow I have that feeling now of like thats it uni is over seen people off some I will never see again
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Adorno)
    No it isn't!
    It's fair in the sense that he is allowed to justify his opinion however he wishes...?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by robinson999)
    wow I have that feeling now of like thats it uni is over seen people off some I will never see again
    Now you get to earn monies though.

ReputationRep:
    Now you get to earn monies though.
    gotta find a job first and that if there is any hope to get the funding to go back to another uni in a year or 2

ReputationRep:
    My rent would stay the same, but if I was working over 16 hours the amount of Housing benefit I would be eligable for would drop dramatically, meaning I wouldn't be able to continue living here. As I say, I've worked it out with someone at the job centre that if I were to get a full time (40 hours a week) job I would be £70 a week worse off.

Yep, a flat would be much cheaper. I've been on the waiting list for a flat for quite a few years though. I'm over 18, have no children, am not disabled, etc. so there is no reason for me to have priority. While I can keep looking for a landlord that is willing to accept me without a deposit (how can I save hundreds for a deposit from £20 a week?) and is willing to accept housing benefit (most are not) there are not enough houses avalible in the public sector.

It is something that definately needs reform tbh. We even got told when moving in here not to look for full time work as it will put our ability to pay for accomodation here in jeopardy due to the costs. This is why it is very difficult to get out of the homeless-hostel cycle. You just have to wait for an oppertunity to get out to come along. Mine comes in September.
    That is awful

What about your parents? :confused:

I might write to my MP later today about it what part of the country are you in? Who's your MP? You could try contacting them as well. It is awful that the system puts people off from going into work

The Government has set up a 'Conservative Policy Forum' which basically gives a topic each month and each Tory association gives their opinion and we help shape policy. The one last week was housing; our general views were that we need to build more housing. Our priorities were housing for young people and the old; our priority for 2015 was housing for retired armed services so I think many people do see the problem of housing even if they aren't experiencing it themselves.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Tbh the fact that our economic system puts people in a situation where they have such poverty (I'm not thinking of myself here so much as families and others who have worse situations than me. I'm relatively lucky) is a disgrace, especialy when we also have such levels of affluence. Where is the oppertunity here? I recently went to apply for a job at WHSmith, where I found that in the online application they will not even accept a CV from someone who has claimed JSA in the last three years. There is no money avalible for people like to to 'make something of themselves' because all of our money is spent on essentials. The poor are often stuck into the poverty trap, while the rich stay rich due to inheritence.

Rich stay rich due to inheritance.
    I can safely say this is not always the case as I know someone how inherited a lot of money and he is now a poor bum :lol: he did not manage his money properly as his dad never taught him how to...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.