Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'Social' housing eh? Is there a type of housing that exists outside the realms of society then? Oh, I forgot, to you guys, society is simply a synonym for government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    The Conservatives didn't privatise the railways ... until the 1990s. You seem to forget that Labour came to power in 1945 when the need to rebuild Europe after the Second World War was a priority. You forget also that the Americans called in their loans at the end of the 1940s and sent Britain into a devaluation crisis which it struggled to get out of. Your claims are historically inaccurate and would seem to lay the blame, which is appropriately levelled at the Conservative governments of the 1950s, squarely on the Labour government of 1945-1951 which is factually impossible.

But what did they not do exactly? Your claims here are very, very vague.
    I am not saying the Conservative Government was perfect; of course they are to blame primarily but the Labour Government are partially to blame for claiming to have 'created the welfare state' yet there was little/nothing done for people living in social housing who were struggling to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    I am not saying the Conservative Government was perfect; of course they are to blame primarily but the Labour Government are partially to blame for claiming to have 'created the welfare state' yet there was little/nothing done for people living in social housing who were struggling to live.
    For god's sake: what did you want done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    'Social' housing eh? Is there a type of housing that exists outside the realms of society then? Oh, I forgot, to you guys, society is simply a synonym for government.
    Well we could use the historically appropriate term - local authority housing - if you prefer.

Looks like I have an early start tomorrow bloody College opening same time as Top Man :mad: :lol:

ReputationRep:
    For god's sake: what did you want done?
    The Labour Government to have done something constructive to help out those people in need or to not claim that they 'created the welfare state' when there were people living in poverty who couldn't even be given the bus fare to see their dying brother in hospital and had to be subject to an undermining means-test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    The Labour Government to have done something constructive to help out those people in need or to not claim that they 'created the welfare state' when there were people living in poverty who couldn't even be given the bus fare to see their dying brother in hospital and had to be subject to an undermining means-test.
    So the fact that the State was bankrupt in 1945 and had to pay back loans to the United States had no impact on the extent of the welfare state that Labour were able to create in just six years of government (compared to the 13 years of Conservative rule after 1951)? Let us not forget who introduced the means test for welfare benefits in the first place - the Conservative-led Coalition Government of the 1930s. And yours is not the only family to have been subjected to it either.

ReputationRep:
    Well we could use the historically appropriate term - local authority housing - if you prefer.
    Well, it would go a long way towards making this discussion a lot less weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    Well, it would go a long way towards making this discussion a lot less weird.
    Either you're not British or have been living in a time bubble of ideology for a while! I'm happy to use the term, less certain about others.

ReputationRep:
    Either you're not British or have been living in a time bubble of ideology for a while! I'm happy to use the term, less certain about others.
    I am British. I just don't like the implications of the term 'social housing'. Is there such a thing as unsocial housing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    I am British. I just don't like the implications of the term 'social housing'. Is there such a thing as unsocial housing?
    That's not the definition of "social" it's angling for though. Unsocial housing - in the context of the noun rather than the verb - would be privatised housing!

ReputationRep:
    That's not the definition of "social" it's angling for though. Unsocial housing - in the context of the noun rather than the verb - would be privatised housing!
    Which is why 'local authority housing' would be a much better way of describing the policy. A house is a house, whether it is paid for by tax or private money, it's still available for people within the society to make use of, given they are willing to buy it.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC commentary team are so bored at the red flagged Canadian GP that they've just had a lengthy conversation about birds, culminating in David Coulthard asking: "do birds have shoulders?" :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Do birds have shoulders?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    Which is why 'local authority housing' would be a much better way of describing the policy. A house is a house, whether it is paid for by tax or private money, it's still available for people within the society to make use of, given they are willing to buy it.
    You missed out the "or able" from that last clause. It makes all the difference but seeing as though you're a libertarian such things pass you by I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    You missed out the "or able" from that last clause. It makes all the difference but seeing as though you're a libertarian such things pass you by I'm sure.
    Not at all. I'm aware that some people may not be able to buy a house. But there is a simple solution to this, and it's quite the novel idea:

...they don't buy a house.

Hmmm should I take a History (Discovering the New World) course alongside my International Business course or would that be stupid? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    Not at all. I'm aware that some people may not be able to buy a house. But there is a simple solution to this, and it's quite the novel idea:

And if they also don't have enough money to rent a house or a flat? Do they "live" on the streets in your universe? And yet you libertarians wonder why I have a moral as well as ideological aversion to your kind. Not hard really.

And if they also don't have enough money to rent a house or a flat?
    How would they not have enough money? there are plenty of options for them to make rent and live on the essentials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)

Fantastic idea, let's have them all be homeless instead!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.