x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I believe it begins 20th June
    Ok. What are your thoughts on that?

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Can anyone help me about how to get a part time job? I want a part time job at a shop/restaurant or wherever just to improve my communication and meet new people and stuff and I don't really know how because I've never had a job before
    Well you need to create a CV/Resume if you haven't already got one. Then again since you haven't a job before it might be short, nevertheless you should just fill it with your details, your grades, and perhaps put in your aspirations and goals in life.
    Make yourself look as ambitious and keen and hardworking as possible.

And also stress you are also a team player.

Generally speaking the internet is the way to go, gumtree.com for example or craigslist.

Also look in local newspapers.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Can anyone help me about how to get a part time job? I want a part time job at a shop/restaurant or wherever just to improve my communication and meet new people and stuff and I don't really know how because I've never had a job before
    Give your CV to everyone. Make it no more than one page.

(Original post by Adorno)
    Not forgetting, of course, that he published the second volume of his memoirs recently in which he slates Sarkozy something rotten:

http://livre.fnac.com/a3441292/Jacqu...00#bl=HGACblo1
    I am well aware and once I have finished 'La République imaginée (1870-1914)' I will read it... he has written quite a lot though as it is like 600 pages a book :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    As in just walk into a shop and give them a CV? Do I not need to see if they're hiring?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As in just walk into a shop and give them a CV? Do I not need to see if they're hiring?
    No. Just print off lots and go in. First you ask if they are hiring, if they say yes the next steps are obvious if not you ask if you can leave a CV for the future. Many will throw it away, some wont. Longer than a page and they all will.

Many places have their own forms, in which case unless they are hiring you are on to the next one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    :lol: Oh no Rush Limbaugh doesn't like it, run awaaaay!!!! :woo:

Rush Limbaugh is a turd, it always amuses me when he gets worked up.
    Why anyone pays attention to him I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched a programme on BBC3 about how many different things are used from animals! Buttons are made from the horns for cows for example; wonder if a veggie would wear a coat

Ok. What are your thoughts on that?
    I am personally not that bothered as there is corruption in quite a few places in government but I am however worried for his health as if it is indeed true that he has dementia then this trial should not go ahead as it could speed up the advancement of the disease which personally I do not want to see happen to him as he was a good president, who cares what he did as Mayor? not me.

ReputationRep:
    Well I usually say no more than two pages, but since he hasn't had any jobs before that probably wouldn't apply to him.

(Original post by Teaddict)

I love that episode.

Longer than a page and they all will.
    It depends though as if you are going for shop assistant/floor roles they will but if you are going for something slightly more professional 2 pages is about right... providing you have the experience

ReputationRep:
    No. Just print off lots and go in. First you ask if they are hiring, if they say yes the next steps are obvious if not you ask if you can leave a CV for the future. Many will throw it away, some wont. Longer than a page and they all will.

Many places have their own forms, in which case unless they are hiring you are on to the next one.
    Why only one page? Not that I have lots to write about, but I'm just curious.

ReputationRep:
    I love that episode.
    As did I!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    As did I!
    Although he voiced himself and humoured himself, it doesn't detract from the fact that Rush Limbaugh is a turd.

ReputationRep:
    France

The only decent song to come from France :rolleyes:

.....shame the singer is black

(don't worry that was a joke)
    (I mean it was a joke about the black thing not the decent song from France bit)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well I usually say no more than two pages, but since he hasn't had any jobs before that probably wouldn't apply to him.

I love that episode.
    It depends though as if you are going for shop assistant/floor roles they will but if you are going for something slightly more professional 2 pages is about right... providing you have the experience
    Why only one page? Not that I have lots to write about, but I'm just curious.
    Aye but you go for office jobs and have experience. You need some sort of skill for the jobs you do presumably.

Indeed TF but this is his first job.

Because they won't care and one page is easily doable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    Just watched a programme on BBC3 about how many different things are used from animals! Buttons are made from the horns for cows for example; wonder if a veggie would wear a coat
    I believe you mean you wonder if a vegan would wear a coat.

(Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    Please it isn't the only good one... there are loads more by black singers it appears that if you are black and can sing in France then seriously the dance/pop songs that come from those guys are just immense :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Aye but you go for office jobs and have experience. You need some sort of skill for the jobs you do presumably.
    Now I do, but before my current job I hadn't really worked a proper office job I had only worked part time.
    My jobs included working in a cattery cleaning cages, shelf stacker for a supermarket, undertaker, shop assistant in a wine shop, and so on.

After college I just went for anything and everything. It wasn't that great but now it's paying off as I have quite a lot of broad experience. Plus I'm a likable guy you know :cool:

QFA
    Try supermarket work. People your age get it all the time. You don't neccessrily need prior experience, in fact often you don't at all.
    It's what I did when I were your age. I worked for Waitfrose for a year and a half.

ReputationRep:
    Also, for next year I already have a job (sponsored degree technically counts as employment, so I am employed by the company) and I get £5800 a year. If I were to get a part time job, how much could I earn a year without paying tax?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Now I do, but before my current job I hadn't really worked a proper office job I had only worked part time.
    My jobs included working in a cattery cleaning cages, shelf stacker for a supermarket, undertaker, shop assistant in a wine shop, and so on.

After college I just went for anything and everything. It wasn't that great but now it's paying off as I have quite a lot of broad experience. Plus I'm a likable guy you know :cool:

Try supermarket work. People your age get it all the time. You don't neccessrily need prior experience, in fact often you don't at all.
    It's what I did when I were your age. I worked for Waitfrose for a year and a half.
    I hate you :dontknow:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.