Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I may very well do after I have done what I need to do in town in 20 odd minutes... she reminds me of Paris Milan :ninja:
    She's only 16? I'd go for it. Although, I don't go much on Paris Milan.

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    She looks like 13. (Don't tell H&C).
    Too late

She looks like 13. (Don't tell H&C).

On a completely different note, did anyone see the Terry Pratchet documentary last night on BBC2? Very, very moving. I highly suggest you watch it if you haven't already.
    Ignore the face and no I won't :lol:

No I didn't watch it, I am against assisted suicide no matter what the condition. If you wanted to end your life you'd do it yourself not let someone else do it for you... shows you are not a 100% sure on your decision in my opinion.

If I ever come to the crossroads between living in pain and not knowing who anyone is for the remainder of my life (which I have a high chance of happening to me) or ending my it myself, I pick the later as I'm in control then not the disease, not someone else just me.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the face and no I won't :lol:

No I didn't watch it, I am against assisted suicide no matter what the condition. If you wanted to end your life you'd do it yourself not let someone else do it for you... shows you are not a 100% sure on your decision in my opinion.

If I ever come to the crossroads between living in pain and not knowing who anyone is for the remainder of my life (which I have a high chance of happening to me) or ending my it myself, I pick the later as I'm in control then not the disease, not someone else just me.
    You're paralysed from the neck down.

Good luck ending your own life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Who the hell is Paris Milan?
    Someone with a really pathetic middle/upper class name... I hate it when parents name their children after cities or fruits - it's ****ing pathetic

ReputationRep:

So if you have a degenerative disease that will only make you less able to look after yourself - to lift a cup, in the case of going to Dignitas - you're still against it?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You're paralysed from the neck down.

Good luck ending your own life.

So if you have a degenerative disease that will only make you less able to look after yourself - to lift a cup, in the case of going to Dignitas - you're still against it?
    This. One hundred times over.

ReputationRep:
    I am. Morally, I can't see any reason to change my mind. Yes, people may be in bad conditions and may really want to die, but there is currently no law against killing oneself.

A 'right to die' is not the same as the 'right to be killed by another person'. Killing another person should, in my opinion, never be open to the quite repugnant ideas of Utilitarianism, lest we go back to the days when killing criminals was allowed. Killing another person is murder, simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    I am. Morally, I can't see any reason to change my mind. Yes, people may be in bad conditions and may really want to die, but there is currently no law against killing oneself.

A 'right to die' is not the same as the 'right to be killed by another person'. Killing another person should, in my opinion, never be open to the quite repugnant ideas of Utilitarianism, lest we go back to the days when killing criminals was allowed. Killing another person is murder, simples.
    Even if all parties involved give their full consent?

ReputationRep:
    I always find it a bit weird how suicide is illegal, I mean, how do you enforce that? arrest the corpse???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiBoy)
    I always find it a bit weird how suicide is illegal, I mean, how do you enforce that? arrest the corpse???
    Suicide isn't illegal...

ReputationRep:
    Even if all parties involved give their full consent?
    Well, yes. I can imagine there having to be a very complex procedure for determining who should or should not die, because it's such a touchy issue, meaning the end decision for who dies and who does not ends up being in another person's hands anyway.

And because of the complexity of the procedure, it would be very lengthy and costly. It wouldn't be as if someone can just walk into a Dignitas shop and say 'Kill me now' and it happen would it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Suicide isn't illegal...
    I believe it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Suicide isn't illegal...
    oh, for some reason I thought it was, my bad.

as for the whole assisted dying and euthanasia debate, so long as you have legal safeguards I see no reason why it sholuldnt be legal tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)

So if a person is not physically able to kill themselves (and is of sound mind) if they feel they cannot continue, they should just be left to suffer because they're unable to commit suicide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    I believe it is.
    Not since 1961.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is.
    Really? I know that you can get an ASBO for attempted suicide.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is.
    You believe wrong

ReputationRep:
    So if a person is not physically able to kill themselves (and is of sound mind) if they feel they cannot continue, they should just be left to suffer because they're unable to commit suicide?
    It's not exactly like I want them to suffer. And why is this being confined to 'physical' pain?

What if you get a person who is 'suffering' intense 'pain' from depression, and wants to die. And they ask a doctor to kill them, because they can't do it themself, what then? It's much safer and less painful to have a doctor pump you with morphine than to hang yourself. Should that person be allowed to be killed?

Everyone has a 'right to die' after-all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    It's not exactly like I want them to suffer. And why is this being confined to 'physical' pain?

What if you get a person who is 'suffering' intense 'pain' from depression, and wants to die. And they ask a doctor to kill them, because they can't do it themself, what then? It's much safer and less painful to have a doctor pump you with morphine than to hang yourself. Should that person be allowed to be killed?

Everyone has a 'right to die' after-all.
    We're not talking about emotional pain from, e.g., depression - we're talking about terminal and degenerative diseases. If a person suffering from depression (assuming they are of sound body) cannot kill themselves, would you not agree that they do not want to die? Even if they are clinically depressed.

Back to the point I was making earlier - in the case of someone with MS (or some other incurable, degenerative and debilitating disease), if the person was unable to kill themselves should anyone who assists them be prosecuted?

Yes as I am against other people helping you kill yourself, it isn't right even if the person really wants to die.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.