Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i could disagree with that anymore.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If I'm ever in the position where a loved one can't bear life and can't end it themselves I hope I will be strong enough to help them to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    We're not talking about emotional pain from, e.g., depression - we're talking about terminal and degenerative diseases. If a person suffering from depression (assuming they are of sound body) cannot kill themselves, would you not agree that they do not want to die? Even if they are clinically depressed.

Back to the point I was making earlier - in the case of someone with MS (or some other incurable, degenerative and debilitating disease), if the person was unable to kill themselves should anyone who assists them be prosecuted?
    On the first point, we can't make presumptions like that. The person may have just decided it's much more effective to die through a doctor than by his own actions. So why shouldn't they be allowed too?

On the second, yes they should be prosecuted. Unless of course you find a way of redefining what constitutes a murder, which is nigh on impossible. From a legal and an ethical perspective, euthanasia can never be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    A blackbird has decided to take nest in my back garden she's been sitting on her eggs for about a week now so I'm hoping she won't abandon them and I will see her teach them how to fly which will be nice I'll post up any photos if I manage to capture any good moments.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    A blackbird has decided to take nest in my back garden she's been sitting on her eggs for about a week now so I'm hoping she won't abandon them and I will see her teach them how to fly which will be nice I'll post up any photos if I manage to capture any good moments.
    Try not to stick it in a chiminea.

(Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    :rofl: made me chuckle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    My cousin is coming round again tomorrow so I shan't tell him where they are

ReputationRep:
    The blackbirds in our garden usually get kicked out by magpies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    On the first point, we can't make presumptions like that. The person may have just decided it's much more effective to die through a doctor than by his own actions. So why shouldn't they be allowed too?
    Because there's no guarantee that their suffering will continue and only worsen. My initial point was that we shouldn't persecute family members of someone with a degenerative disease if they are unable to kill themselves without some assistance - even if they agree to it in sound mind. Their suffering is only going to continue, with it possibly becoming worse.
    On the second, yes they should be prosecuted. Unless of course you find a way of redefining what constitutes a murder, which is nigh on impossible. From a legal and an ethical perspective, euthanasia can never be allowed.
    From a legal perspective, I admit it would be very difficult. However, from an ethical point of view I cannot see the ethics behind keeping someone who is suffering, and will only continue to suffer, alive. It's not the best analogy - but you'd take your pet to the vets if it was in similar condition.

My cousin is coming round again tomorrow so I shan't tell him where they are
    You do and I'll go to Paris, disassemble my handgun, smuggle it into UK and then reassemble and shoot you
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    The blackbirds in our garden usually get kicked out by magpies
    Damn Magpies :mad: in our garden they all live in perfect harmony... until the rats come that is and then it is rifle out.. bang, bang

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    You do and I'll go to Paris, disassemble my handgun, smuggle it into UK and then reassemble and shoot you
    I have a boat that can be useful to you and your "mission"

ReputationRep:
    Why not just use your rifles?

(Original post by Teaddict)
    I have a boat that can be useful to you and your "mission"
    Is it sturdy enough to get from Calais to Dover? :holmes: if it is, it may be easier than going by Eurotunnel and having to disassemble everything

ReputationRep:
    Is it sturdy enough to get from Calais to Dover? :holmes: if it is, it may be easier than going by Eurotunnel and having to disassemble everything
    It managed to ship some slaves from Africa, I'm sure it'll do the job.

In other news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13771099

Well done Surgeon :yy:

(Original post by sandys1000)
    Why not just use your rifles?
    Yeah like I want to lug them around I prefer handguns tbh.

It managed to ship some slaves from Africa, I'm sure it'll do the job.

In other news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13771099

Well done Surgeon :yy:
    Slaves aye? I'll use it

And yes well done to him the look on Cameron's face was priceless

ReputationRep:
    Yeah like I want to lug them around I prefer handguns tbh.
    Boo to guns tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Slaves aye? I'll use it

And yes well done to him the look on Cameron's face was priceless
    He agreed with the surgeon but you can see his face "**** there goes my public relation clip"

He agreed with the surgeon but you can see his face "**** there goes my public relation clip"
    Yeah and I have just watched it again, it is so funny :lol:
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Thought I would re-post my position of that program and the legality of Euthinasia here from another thread on that program.

DayneD89I support the moral right for you to choose to die if you so wish as it is your life and not that of the state. There are however huge risks to legalizing euthanasia. For example people may feel pressured to take that option if they feel they are a burden to family and/or friends, and making sure that someone is both of mental capacity to make that decision and isn't being forced or pressured into making that decision are huge concerns. I would support the legalization of euthanasia if both of these problems could be sorted out.

There is also the argument that people choosing to die because they feel their life is not worth living is a step back for the disabled community as disabled people may feel their lives are worth less than a healthy persons. This is an issue the disabled community has come a long way to removing, and while I feel that a person choosing that their life isn't worth living does not mean they are saying people who are in a similar situation also have lives worth less than healthy peoples, the psychological impact should not be overlooked.

I am not sure all these problems could be overcome, so at this time I would not support the legalization of euthanasia, however I can sympathise with those who do decide they would like to die. It is a difficult issue to produce law on even if you, like me, do not consider the (usually religious) argument of the sanctity of life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.