Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk IV watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Stricof)
    You may be right then. And if it is the case, then I propose the Speaker should bloody well vote!
    I don't. Completely erodes his political neutrality (although while Nick is speaker I'm cool with this )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I don't. Completely erodes his political neutrality (although while Nick is speaker I'm cool with this )
    The there should be other ways of tackling this - such as making the number of seats an uneven number or let the Speaker vote (as is conventionally done IRL).

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem with it...seems a relatively fair way to break the tie. I feel the Speaker should vote with the Government though

ReputationRep:
    The there should be other ways of tackling this - such as making the number of seats an uneven number or let the Speaker vote (as is conventionally done IRL).
    I'm tempted to pass an amendment changing it to 51 seats who would get the extra seat though in mid-term? :holmes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

(Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    I don't see the problem with it...seems a relatively fair way to break the tie. I feel the Speaker should vote with the Government though
    I see no problem with a tie meaning it isn't passed tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I see no problem with a tie meaning it isn't passed tbh.
    Would you second an amendment putting it up to 51 seats up for election?

ReputationRep:
    I'm tempted to pass an amendment changing it to 51 seats who would get the extra seat though in mid-term? :holmes:
    Hold a by-election. :mmm:

Alternatively just wait for it to be introduced in the following term
    I feel the Speaker should vote with the Government though

If the Government were split on the vote then this wouldn't work.

ReputationRep:
    Hold a by-election. :mmm:

If the Government were split on the vote then this wouldn't work.
    A by-election would be fun but that would mean we would have to hold by-elections for MPs during the term who resign

I don't need a seconder for an amendment do I?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Would you second an amendment putting it up to 51 seats up for election?
    No, I think the number of seats should be reduced if anything.

ReputationRep:
    A by-election would be fun but that would mean we would have to hold by-elections for MPs during the term who resign

I don't need a seconder for an amendment do I?
    Alternatively just ask for the change in the number of seats to be introduced in the following term.

Don't believe so. Just submit it to the speaker.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively just ask for the change in the number of seats to be introduced in the following term.

Don't believe so. Just submit it to the speaker.
    I will need four MPs to second it...might pursue this in the morning

ReputationRep:
    No, I think the number of seats should be reduced if anything.
    That means one party would have to sack an MP for no good reason; I'd rather have an extra seat than end someone being an MP mid-term.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    That means one party would have to sack an MP for no good reason; I'd rather have an extra seat than end someone being an MP mid-term.
    I mean as a general principle and I would want the number to change at all unless during an election. Take it down to 35 or something.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I mean as a general principle and I would want the number to change at all unless during an election.

ReputationRep:
    I mean as a general principle and I would want the number to change at all unless during an election. Take it down to 35 or something.
    35? I like a large House why would you want 35 MPs? :eek:

In other news, why do we have a Shadow Social Security Minister when there is no Social Security Minister...damn incompetent Tories

ReputationRep:
    Who wouldn't want to date her? I think she likes cats a little bit too much....what's worse is that I believe this is genuine

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Does anyone know what would happen if a bill went into deadlock (25:25); would the Speaker get the vote? :holmes: I also wonder if more people abstained than voted in favour of the bill...unlikely but I wonder what would happen.
    If division on a bill is split 25/25, it doesn't pass. To pass, a bill must have more Ayes than No votes. Abstentions have no effect on the final passage of a bill.

In the event that the Speaker uses the casting vote IRL, he would by convention follow the Denison rule.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    35? I like a large House why would you want 35 MPs? :eek:

In other news, why do we have a Shadow Social Security Minister when there is no Social Security Minister...damn incompetent Tories
    What do you think the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions is responsible for? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Were you killed?

Sadly yes, but I lived!

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.