Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It makes me sad at how people in this country can be so poor while I live in relative luxury.

I was watching the news and they did a report about homeless people having to go to soup kitchens in order to eat. This was while I was eating my dinner, and it made me realise how lucky I am.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    It makes me sad at how people in this country can be so poor while I live in relative luxury.

I was watching the news and they did a report about homeless people having to go to soup kitchens in order to eat. This was while I was eating my dinner, and it made me realise how lucky I am.
    :yes:

Always give food to homeless people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    :yes:

Always give food to homeless people
    Last year in the winter I was on my way to work early (about half six, it was still dark) and a guy came up to me and asked me for some money. He said he had to go to London on the tube to see his kid and his woman had kicked him out. Then he started crying. He was dirty, smelly and probably cold, so I gave him three or four quid. After all three or four quid hardly puts me out of pocket.

To this day I don't know if it was genuine or just an act but it sure looked real and I felt sorry for the guy. Had I not been rushing to get my bus I would have bought him a brew too.

So basically I told this to an American mate and he said "I always give a few bucks, because it doesn't leave me out of pocket. You did tve right thing."

And so that's the mantra I live by. I also buy the big issue. I didn't before but then I saw a programme that showed how some rely on their big issues sales, so I make an effort. Plus it's actually a good read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    And so that's the mantra I live by. I also buy the big issue. I didn't before but then I saw a programme that showed how some rely on their big issues sales, so I make an effort. Plus it's actually a good read.
    As wrong as it sounds, I generally look at their shoes. If a person has a better pair of shoes than me, they don't need me to buy a copy of the big issue. If they don't, I'll give them a couple of quid rather than taking the magazine.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Last year in the winter I was on my way to work early (about half six, it was still dark) and a guy came up to me and asked me for some money. He said he had to go to London on the tube to see his kid and his woman had kicked him out. Then he started crying. He was dirty, smelly and probably cold, so I gave him three or four quid. After all three or four quid hardly puts me out of pocket.

To this day I don't know if it was genuine or just an act but it sure looked real and I felt sorry for the guy. Had I not been rushing to get my bus I would have bought him a brew too.

So basically I told this to an American mate and he said "I always give a few bucks, because it doesn't leave me out of pocket. You did tve right thing."

I always give food if I can, money if I can't and buy the big issue from time to time. Ever since I was maybe 10 I've given homeless people food. After cinema trips with mates we would have loads of stuff left and I would just give it all to a homeless guy. I've been homeless and I know what it's like - little acts of kindness do matter (as does food!). Decent people have their own system, a mate of mine always buys a homeless guy macdonalds and a coffee for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    As wrong as it sounds, I generally look at their shoes. If a person has a better pair of shoes than me, they don't need me to buy a copy of the big issue. If they don't, I'll give them a couple of quid rather than taking the magazine.
    That's a bit thin. Plus it depends on what shoes your wearing at the time.

ReputationRep:
    Robin Williams beard is brilliant.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    This wouldn't work for me as I often keep trainers for years and they raid charity shop bags which will often have better trainers in than what I used to wear XD
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Robin Williams beard is brilliant.
    Probably my favourite actor, and a good stand-up as well.

ReputationRep:
    I always give food if I can, money if I can't and buy the big issue from time to time. Ever since I was maybe 10 I've given homeless people food. After cinema trips with mates we would have loads of stuff left and I would just give it all to a homeless guy. I've been homeless and I know what it's like - little acts of kindness do matter (as does food!). Decent people have their own system, a mate of mine always buys a homeless guy macdonalds and a coffee for example.
    Many of the homeless are ex-soldiers too. It's sad how they can go from being soldiers, well trained and secure to homeless and down-trodden. I

I am more likely to help a person than not.

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit thin. Plus it depends on what shoes your wearing at the time.
    Nah, not really. I only own 1 pair of shoes and they cost me about £20 a time. Point is that if they own brand new expensive trainers, they aren't poor and needy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Many of the homeless are ex-soldiers too. It's sad how they can go from being soldiers, well trained and secure to homeless and down-trodden. I

I am more likely to help a person than not.
    Many of them used to be many things mate

ReputationRep:
    Probably my favourite actor, and a good stand-up as well.

(I know i posted it in here before)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I really should buy the Big Issue more, if only to get them so they can go find somewhere warm if it's rainy.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, not really. I only own 1 pair of shoes and they cost me about £20 a time. Point is that if they own brand new expensive trainers, they aren't poor and needy.
    Not true at all. They could have gotten said shoes anywhere. To assume immedietly they bought the shoes and therefore is less in need of money is just absurd.

Many of them used to be many things mate
    This is very true.

ReputationRep:
    I now feel bad that I got chucked out of the school's "faith in action" period.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    He's so cool

I've not eaten today.

Not sure whether to order some food just not eat.

1 Pair of trainers :eek: how do you last wearing the same day after day, don't you alternate between days?

ReputationRep:
    He's so cool

I've not eaten today.

Not sure whether to order some food just not eat.
    I've eaten far too much today. Including a takeaway pizza and various crap I justify buying to get me through revision - most of which is gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    1 Pair of trainers :eek: how do you last wearing the same day after day, don't you alternate between days?
    No need really.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.