Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Another stupid rant from Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner :rolleyes:

I fail to see how "as long as the Falkland Islands want to be sovereign British territory, they should remain sovereign British territory - full stop, end of story" is any of the things she says they are - arrogant, stupid etc. Cameron was being very pragmatic. He could easily have told Argentina to simply **** off.
    But they would have been part of Argentina had they not invade in 1982. The UK was weeks away from signing them over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Watching 'Jersey Shore: Season Two - Part Two' love it and cannot wait for Season 3 (Italy)
    Geordie Shore's where it's at. :smug:

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Geordie Shore's where it's at. :smug:
    Please it is dreadful, it is a Jersey Shore wannabe it is scripted too :eek: plus I didn't understand it :sad:

ReputationRep:
    They're both dreadful tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Please it is dreadful, it is a Jersey Shore wannabe it is scripted too :eek: plus I didn't understand it :sad:
    It was designed as a Jersey Shore spinoff, so yeah.

Pah, can't understand it. :unimpressed:
    Nowt wrong wi' how wor Geordies speak.

ReputationRep:
    Another stupid rant from Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner :rolleyes:

I fail to see how "as long as the Falkland Islands want to be sovereign British territory, they should remain sovereign British territory - full stop, end of story" is any of the things she says they are - arrogant, stupid etc. Cameron was being very pragmatic. He could easily have told Argentina to simply **** off.

Anyone been watching The Shadow Line? Pretty epic ending.
    Who killed Beade, I was confused.

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    It was designed as a Jersey Shore spinoff, so yeah.

Pah, can't understand it. :unimpressed:
    Nowt wrong wi' how wor Geordies speak.
    I'm used to the English that is spoken down south... not my fault I don't venture into the northern areas of the country... it is like going to 'Nord-Pas-de-Calais'

ReputationRep:
    The north is the best bit of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    The north is the best bit of the country.
    Damn straight. :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    Who killed Beade, I was confused.
    Jay Wratten, the same way he and Gatehouse had Harvey Wratten killed. Kind of sad that the two relatively "good" guys got the bump, but I suppose that was the whole point of the series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    But they would have been part of Argentina had they not invade in 1982. The UK was weeks away from signing them over.
    Do you have proof for this? I have never heard this before. :holmes:

The idea that Argentina has a claim is nonsense - we have owned the Falklands since before Argentina existed as a country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)

The idea that Argentina has a claim is nonsense - we have owned the Falklands since before Argentina existed as a country.
    Not on me, it was a book I was reading about argentina ages ago.

ReputationRep:
    Not on me, it was a book I was reading about argentina ages ago.
    Interesting :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Interesting :holmes:
    As far as the story went, Galtieri used the Falklands as an excuse to revive his flagging popularity and jumped the gun. I mean it's entirely plausibly wrong and just speculation on the part of the author but it's an interesting thesis.

ReputationRep:

the dispute over the islands originally was between Spain and England, laterly between Argentina and Britain, Argentina believe that the Spanish claim was true and therefore that the islands that they refer to as the Malvinas should have been part of there newly independent territory, as I understand it the islands were a Spanish penal colony before we officially colonised them, there is also dispute over whether we or the Spanish discovered the islands first.

as I recall it is along those lines, but I read up on it ages ago so I may have a few bits wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Jay Wratten, the same way he and Gatehouse had Harvey Wratten killed. Kind of sad that the two relatively "good" guys got the bump, but I suppose that was the whole point of the series.
    Thanks very ****ing much, hadn't seen it.

ReputationRep:
    As far as the story went, Galtieri used the Falklands as an excuse to revive his flagging popularity and jumped the gun. I mean it's entirely plausibly wrong and just speculation on the part of the author but it's an interesting thesis.
    It is an interesting thesis but without evidence not one I am willing to buy. If I can be bothered, I might do some searching.

(Original post by SciFiBoy)
    the dispute over the islands originally was between Spain and England, laterly between Argentina and Britain, Argentina believe that the Spanish claim was true and therefore that the islands that they refer to as the Malvinas should have been part of there newly independent territory, as I understand it the islands were a Spanish penal colony before we officially colonised them, there is also dispute over whether we or the Spanish discovered the islands first.

as I recall it is along those lines, but I read up on it ages ago so I may have a few bits wrong.

Sounds about right, but I am not convinced that a potential Spanish claim translates into an Argentinian claim - As far as I am concerned, it's British territory and the Argentinians have no claim and should just learn to accept that.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm biased towards Nova Scotia since that's where I lived during my master's.
    How cold was it, where you lived?

ReputationRep:
    On the "discussion" bit of the TSR ED page:

"Ffs abucha3, stop touching the bloody article - just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you should mess with it you pedo.

- Grant mitch1"

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Fed up with all the religion bashing on TSR.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.