Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=315

Longest response ever?

ReputationRep:
    Not bad: 1623 words. But it's the amount of quotes he has in between single sentences that makes it look bigger than it actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Not bad: 1623 words. But it's the amount of quotes he has in between single sentences that makes it look bigger than it actually is.
    That's what I meant - length wise, not characters
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Maybe.

Character-wise definitely not though.

ReputationRep:
    Completed the Great North Swim today :woo: Such an amazing experience. Heard a guy died yesterday though
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    No I haven't; all my opinions in regards to the protests were from watching extracts of it on the television, reading about it in the papers and looking at the images. As much as you might be telling the truth, your views are likely to be biased because I get a feeling that you have a strong dislike towards the police (almost like anybody around our age); people at the protests say the police started it and the police say they were only responding to violent protesters. I have simply looked at the images and judged for myself.

It also depends what you regard as party atmosphere; some people might include breaking into a police van, wearing a riot hat and then dancing on top of the van a 'party atmosphere' so I'd argue we can't use such loose terminology.

I shall ask you what Adorno failed to answer; if you dislike violence from the Police then what do you expect them to do when people invade Tory HQ or destruct Government buildings?
    I may be biased, but I can be objective. I'm not an anarchist who feels we shouldn't have a police force, though I do dislike the way they act at protests. This is from first hand experience.

Adorno did answer that question, much better than I will be able to. They should have left it to be delt with after the incident, or targeted the people causing a problem. That is far more preferable to attcking the liberty of tens of thousands of people, some as young as 14, some as old as 72. Yes, those responsible for violence are not outside the rule of law, but that doesn't excuse the acts on the vast majority of peaceful protesters.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1683595

^^ I love TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    On pensions we should do two things

1. Abolish the state pension
    2. Create a sovereign wealth fund like Australia, France, Ireland and many other countries so that we can gain wealth to pay for pensions.
    how would that work

what happens to does who don't have private pensions

this is annoying on the week the bbc are think about cutting F1 and just giving it to sky (very bad move talk about a monopoly) we have Wimbledon wall to wall, there can't be more people watching tennis than F1
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I feel sick FFS

French XI Cavalry Sabre me wanty :drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    this is annoying on the week the bbc are think about cutting F1 and just giving it to sky (very bad move talk about a monopoly) we have Wimbledon wall to wall, there can't be more people watching tennis than F1
    There was a bit on this in the Sunday Times yesterday. Basically because the audience for F1 is largely 30+ males, the audience for Wimbledon is generally much larger so gains more viewers. It's also incredibly expensive (I think it quoted around £1m per race) - to screen 19 F1 races in a season costs more than the BBC4 annual budget.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Is Wimbledon on now?

(Original post by paddy__power)
    Is Wimbledon on now?
    Why yes, it started today....

Less people watch F1 than Wimbledon. As for giving the F1 to Sky, I personally see it as a good move as I can't stand the way the BBC do it... I watch on Eurosport & TF1 HD instead
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Why yes, it started today....
    I may watch some.

ReputationRep:
    See I was going to post a rant about MPs not asking questions properly in the PMQs thread but then I saw H/C's silly post about the protests. I'll leave it I think.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Wimbledon is :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Less people watch F1 than Wimbledon. As for giving the F1 to Sky, I personally see it as a good move as I can't stand the way the BBC do it... I watch on Eurosport & TF1 HD instead
    giving it to sky is bad, they had shocking coverage of A1 racing, and you are just allowing sky to do the normal no one can outbid us so we can do what we want, plus your taking it alway from fans of the sport, ITV used to good coverage only annoying thing was adverts during the race
    about 4million a race, not bad for a sunday afternoon

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    There was a bit on this in the Sunday Times yesterday. Basically because the audience for F1 is largely 30+ males, the audience for Wimbledon is generally much larger so gains more viewers. It's also incredibly expensive (I think it quoted around £1m per race) - to screen 19 F1 races in a season costs more than the BBC4 annual budget.
    £19million across the year is not that expensive tv rights are the most expensive, but surely it cost more for 2 weeks of tennis than 19 races around the world, they do air over smaller sports
    personally I would rather cut bbc4, but like bb3 is has a job to do

I don't want to be seem like I am going down the route of I don't like it so it shouldn't be on tv, but sport on bbc should come before shows like come dancing

giving it to sky is bad, they had shocking coverage of A1 racing, and you are just allowing sky to do the normal no one can outbid us so we can do what we want, plus your taking it alway from fans of the sport, ITV used to good coverage only annoying thing was adverts during the race
    about 4million a race, not bad for a sunday afternoon.
    What are you a commie? :holmes:

Sky is available on Top Up TV for a pittance, if people want to watch F1 then they can subscribe and also watch a lot of great sports too

ReputationRep:
    What are you a commie? :holmes:

Sky is available on Top Up TV for a pittance, if people want to watch F1 then they can subscribe and also watch a lot of great sports too
    not so much a commie

why would I want to pay for top up TV when I have sky sports at home anyway, plus with sky any time I am sorted :p:

great sports is questionable, why should we allow sky to control pretty much everything, they can outbid anyone

forgetting the football that ITV and Five have :p:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.