Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    It was a light hearted thread, and I wanted to see if other people would want to make the party (for lols).

Interpret it as spam if you want, I really couldn't care less
    If it was light-hearted then why not mention it in the Bar, where all spam-related stuff goes just seems a bit silly to clog up the forum with a thread which isn't even serious.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    If it was light-hearted then why not mention it in the Bar, where all spam-related stuff goes just seems a bit silly to clog up the forum with a thread which isn't even serious.
    If I ever find anything I care about less I will let you know :yes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You see the Langley Hall Primary Academy on The Daily Politics.

That's where I'm from. Christian principles will be applied apparently. Great.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have a problem at work and was wondering if any of you have any advice. I booked two holidays over the summer with my boss and he agreed to both. The first is for 16 days (which I am on now) and the second for 15 days in August. He sent me a text message yesterday (the first day of the 16 day holiday) telling me I'm over running my holiday entitlement in the summer of 2 weeks and would have to change one of the holidays till after October.

I'm already 400 miles away from work now and am in no position to change this holiday I am on now. The second is booked and paid for at a cost of £1600 between me and my girlfriend and she wouldn't go without me.

I've looked up the law on holiday entitlements and similar bits of law but can't find anything specifically about where an employer has granted you a holiday and then revoked it - the main issue is the loss of money on my part. He was fully aware that I had both holidays a month ago and his exact words to me when I booked it was “You can have as many as you like, you just won’t be paid for them”.

I don't have a written contract that states there may only be 2 weeks of holidays in the summer period and last year I had more than 2 weeks without a issue. My boss is part of a committee at a social club where I work behind the bar.

What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)
    Hi guys,

I have a problem at work and was wondering if any of you have any advice. I booked two holidays over the summer with my boss and he agreed to both. The first is for 16 days (which I am on now) and the second for 15 days in August. He sent me a text message yesterday (the first day of the 16 day holiday) telling me I'm over running my holiday entitlement in the summer of 2 weeks and would have to change one of the holidays till after October.

I'm already 400 miles away from work now and am in no position to change this holiday I am on now. The second is booked and paid for at a cost of £1600 between me and my girlfriend and she wouldn't go without me.

I've looked up the law on holiday entitlements and similar bits of law but can't find anything specifically about where an employer has granted you a holiday and then revoked it - the main issue is the loss of money on my part. He was fully aware that I had both holidays a month ago and his exact words to me when I booked it was “You can have as many as you like, you just won’t be paid for them”.

I don't have a written contract that states there may only be 2 weeks of holidays in the summer period and last year I had more than 2 weeks without a issue. My boss is part of a committee at a social club where I work behind the bar.

What do I do?
    Have you pointed this out to him? Or not, to avoid an argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Have you pointed this out to him? Or not, to avoid an argument?
    I've asked him to provide a time I can contact him today but I haven't heard anything so far. I wish to keep my job but ultimately I cannot forsee a solution both parties will be happy with therefore may have to go to the extent of going into the legalities of my employers actions. I earn about £100 a week from the job so the income is essential to me.

ReputationRep:
    I've asked him to provide a time I can contact him today but I haven't heard anything so far. I wish to keep my job but ultimately I cannot forsee a solution both parties will be happy with therefore may have to go to the extent of going into the legalities of my employers actions. I earn about £100 a week from the job so the income is essential to me.
    As far as I know, if he's agreed to it - and there's nothing in your contract saying you can't take holidays with x time of each other - then he can't revoke your holiday. It might be an idea to try contact a CAB to see what they think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    As far as I know, if he's agreed to it - and there's nothing in your contract saying you can't take holidays with x time of each other - then he can't revoke your holiday. It might be an idea to try contact a CAB to see what they think.
    Yeah, that's ideally what I intend to do, although I don't wish to spend my holiday entitlement sorting out my holiday entitlement. The fact that he's left it to the day my holidays started has left me in an impossible position to do anything about it and has really annoyed me. I cannot get to CAB in my area until the 8th of July which leaves this issue hanging over me for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's ideally what I intend to do, although I don't wish to spend my holiday entitlement sorting out my holiday entitlement. The fact that he's left it to the day my holidays started has left me in an impossible position to do anything about it and has really annoyed me. I cannot get to CAB in my area until the 8th of July which leaves this issue hanging over me for the time being.
    Mate: http://www.unitetheunion.org/member_...ve_rights.aspx The Law, as per usual, places emphasis on the side of the employer not the employee.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    According to BBC News, police have arrested the guy behind LulzSec. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

What do I do?
    Did you know if an employer phones you whilst you are on sick leave or on holiday, if they know of this, it is technically harassment?

(Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    According to BBC News, police have arrested the guy behind LulzSec. :holmes:
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well, their latest attack irritates me, but still. Eep.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, Lulzsec have the Census data. Twitter seems to think it's been leaked to them rather than hacked as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Apparently, Lulzsec have the Census data. Twitter seems to think it's been leaked to them rather than hacked as well...
    Yeah but twitter probably thinks that Elvis is the king of Oman.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If I punch, or extend my right arm with any force, I get a niggling feeling on the joint in my arm (opposite the elbow). Any idea what this is?

If I punch, or extend my right arm with any force, I get a niggling feeling on the joint in my arm (opposite the elbow). Any idea what this is?
    ****ing too much? most likely do leaning on your arm too much....

On anoter note Kingston have asked me to phone them about my room situation as I applied for DSA... but I'm not disabled in that sense, which they'd know if they read my ****ing form :mad:

ReputationRep:
    You're dying, you have 3 weeks left.

In case you thought this was real advice I have no idea
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    ****ing too much? most likely do leaning on your arm too much....

On anoter note Kingston have asked me to phone them about my room situation as I applied for DSA... but I'm not disabled in that sense, which they'd know if they read my ****ing form :mad:
    It's been like it for months. FML
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    You're dying, you have 3 weeks left.

In case you thought this was real advice I have no idea
    Meh, I had a good run :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Weakness.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.