x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk IV watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Law soft? please.

Mathematical, sciences, languages, history/geography are what people should have not art or media :pierre:
    People should have what they want to have.

(Original post by Nothos)
    What would you class politics as, then?
    A basic necessity at GCSE level as we have uneducated voters easily swayed by the Daily Mails crap... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Mathematical, sciences, languages, history/geography are what people should have not art or media :pierre:
    What have been the most power communications media of the twentieth century? Television, radio, cinema. What is studied in "media"? Exactly those things which have fundamentally changed how human beings communicate, educate, and recreate. To dismiss art and the study of media is to deny the cultural impulses of our time.

ReputationRep:
    What would you class politics as, then?
    Something which is too often used to suggest that the current generation of young people is somehow more apathetic and detached from the people who govern them than previous generations. It's a falsification of the historical record and combines the chattering Left and the soft Right in its denunciation of young people and their activities. Sad really but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Something which is too often used to suggest that the current generation of young people is somehow more apathetic and detached from the people who govern them than previous generations. It's a falsification of the historical record and combines the chattering Left and the soft Right in its denunciation of young people and their activities. Sad really but there you go.
    You misunderstand me. I wasn't asking whether we should put politics on some sort of academic pedestal as a means to fix "Broken Britain", rather whether Frenchy would consider it worthy of studying, as he says you should only focus on certain topics.

Broadly put, would you class politics as a science or an art?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You misunderstand me. I wasn't asking whether we should put politics on some sort of academic pedestal as a means to fix "Broken Britain", rather whether Frenchy would consider it worthy of studying, as he says you should only focus on certain topics.

How are you defining them

ReputationRep:
    I thought Politics was classified as a social science; thus an arts degree?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but since when have we listened to Tories when it comes to education?

It is a subject which has a dual personality and can be studied using methodologies from both sides of the great academic divide. Personally I view politics as more of a subject rooted in the study of people and their actions and therefore as an arts subject. Most politics students would probably disagree and point to the more scientific rigour of their analysis and claim for themselves a position along the science spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    Economics: Science or Art?

ReputationRep:
    In other news: Having a warm shower, followed by a hot shower, followed by a cold shower then drying off in front of an air conditioner is the stuff of Gods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I thought Politics was classified as a social science; thus an arts degree?
    It's also possible to graduate with a BSc in political science from a lot of places. Social sciences are a grey area when it comes to the awarding of a Bachelor of Arts degree to candidates.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Bed-time story.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm getting pizza. Do I get two pizzas or one and a few sides. Same price....

ReputationRep:
    In other news: Having a warm shower, followed by a hot shower, followed by a cold shower then drying off in front of an air conditioner is the stuff of Gods.
    And a waste of water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I'm getting pizza. Do I get two pizzas or one and a few sides. Same price....
    Two pizzas and sides.

ReputationRep:
    Emergency toilet paper.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Economics, like politics, is surely a social science, meaning it draws elements from both sides of the spectrum (a silly thing anyway).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Two pizzas and sides.
    Money is tight, not sure if I can make that kind of pro-play.

You are so bad for me cambo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    It's also possible to graduate with a BSc in political science from a lot of places. Social sciences are a grey area when it comes to the awarding of a Bachelor of Arts degree to candidates.
    :holmes:

And a waste of water.
    ... How dare I use the water that we pay for :rolleyes:

You also make an assumption as to how long I was in the shower - if I was in there for an hour or 30 minutes you would have a point...

ReputationRep:
    :holmes:
    It's about methodology. That's the major division between the arts and the sciences. Ultimately the purpose is to better understand the world in which we live and how life develops and changes on it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.