Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    The Tea Party: For those who enjoy real Conservatives.

Y'all.
    The Teaddict Pressure Group was established by Teaddict in response to the lack of social Teaddism in government today. The Teaddict Pressure Group seeks to exert influence on the government of the day to push the tea agenda in the United Kingdom. Although we fully support the governments fiscal policies, we believe they are ignoring the more important issue of tea in Britain. We believe that value added tax shouldn't be applied to tea. That all children should be given a free cup of tea for lunch rather than milk and that tea be made the national drink.

It is our commitment to social Teaddism that makes this pressure group unique and powerful. As we say: There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    Aww stop bullying The Tories - we're nice really :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    We believe that value added tax shouldn't be applied to tea. That all children should be given a free cup of tea for lunch rather than milk and that tea be made the national drink.

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea.
    I would genuinely vote for this :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeStu)
    Aww stop bullying The Tories - we're nice really :P
    Yeah, nice like pigeons, rats, seagulls, and other vermin.

Speaking of pressure (lobbyist) groups, what ever happened to the idea? as it would make for some interesting Bills, no? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Taxpayers Alliance [TSR]: We believe the TSR government are wasting hundreds of billions of pounds a year wrongly helping poor people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Speaking of pressure (lobbyist) groups, what ever happened to the idea? as it would make for some interesting Bills, no? :holmes:
    Yeah, I like that idea and just kind of disappeared as activity dropped.

Taxpayers Alliance [TSR]: We believe the TSR government are wasting hundreds of billions of pounds a year wrongly helping poor people.
    And you believe correctly... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    You missed the vital bit: "and it's all the fault of the EU taking power out of the hands of ordinary, hard-working [MIDDLE-CLASS PEOPLE FROM SURREY] British people".

ReputationRep:
    I have a book from the Taxpayers Alliance, which was published in 2010, called, 'How to cut public spending and still win an election', which is making interesting reading so far.

You missed the vital bit: "and it's all the fault of the EU taking power out of the hands of ordinary, hard-working [MIDDLE-CLASS PEOPLE FROM SURREY] British people".
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we could try targeted PMs - at those that haven't voted when say 24hrs is left. Or put more pressure on party leaders to justify why MPs aren't voting, and if they can't to replace them or risk losing their seat. I know its mentioned in the GD but do we act on it? Also I believe it says four days notice for proxy MPs - maybe we could change this because sometimes you just don't know when you are going to be unavailable until a couple of days before.
    I think it's indicative of a greater problem - that some MP's aren't tuned into the HoC for whatever reason. I could send out targeted PM's when 24 hours are left and that would probably increase voter turnout, but it wouldn't solve the greater problem. The fact that I would have to send out a targeted PM because someone can't click a button despite an update is a problem. If we can't get that minimal input from the HoC Updates that are sent out, is it any wonder points raised in bill debates are left unanswered?

Regards the GD, if a member has missed three votes in a row, I send a PM to their party leader about it and that normally sorts the issue out and on the proxy issue, I do allow less than 4 days notice, provided the original MP hasn't voted on any polls that may be open when the proxy takes over. I think it's a good idea for parties to have an absence thread so that they can better co-ordinate for this.

I may try targeted PM's but what we really need is a House with members that are actively engaged with bill and motion debates.

ReputationRep:
    QFT.

Yeah, I like that idea and just kind of disappeared as activity dropped.
    Well must find the thread and get people interested again

Joining fees for Surbiton Tennis club :eek: **** that for a laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I think it's indicative of a greater problem - that some MP's aren't tuned into the HoC for whatever reason. I could send out targeted PM's when 24 hours are left and that would probably increase voter turnout, but it wouldn't solve the greater problem. The fact that I would have to send out a targeted PM because someone can't click a button despite an update is a problem. If we can't get that minimal input from the HoC Updates that are sent out, is it any wonder points raised in bill debates are left unanswered?

Regards the GD, if a member has missed three votes in a row, I send a PM to their party leader about it and that normally sorts the issue out and on the proxy issue, I do allow less than 4 days notice, provided the original MP hasn't voted on any polls that may be open when the proxy takes over. I think it's a good idea for parties to have an absence thread so that they can better co-ordinate for this.

I may try targeted PM's but what we really need is a House with members that are actively engaged with bill and motion debates.
    Waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    Also I almost feel insulted for not getting the HoC Mod job. Except I don't because I didn't really want the job, have no idea what fool nominated me and didn't put a great deal of effort into my application post.

ReputationRep:

Surbiton Tennis Club? You don't live in that area :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    1. Yet they get rid of active people :teehee:
    2. I am no longer an MP... my name needs a / <name> next to it
    I don't do that anymore. You have X's in each new vote now. It's now clearer when you were an MP and when you weren't.

ReputationRep:

I wanted to join that tennis club until I saw the prices. A couple of my friends are members though, they must have money to burn.

(Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    Surbiton Tennis Club? You don't live in that area :holmes:
    No but I'll be near there in September and I have to keep my game otherwise I fear something bad will happen... same with Golf :sad:

ReputationRep:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post30981853

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.