Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by badger-man)
    I wanted to join that tennis club until I saw the prices. A couple of my friends are members though, they must have money to burn.
    It is a nice place and you get gym membership too so I may splash out and go without new shoes or something for a month or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I think it's indicative of a greater problem - that some MP's aren't tuned into the HoC for whatever reason. I could send out targeted PM's when 24 hours are left and that would probably increase voter turnout, but it wouldn't solve the greater problem. The fact that I would have to send out a targeted PM because someone can't click a button despite an update is a problem. If we can't get that minimal input from the HoC Updates that are sent out, is it any wonder points raised in bill debates are left unanswered?

Regards the GD, if a member has missed three votes in a row, I send a PM to their party leader about it and that normally sorts the issue out and on the proxy issue, I do allow less than 4 days notice, provided the original MP hasn't voted on any polls that may be open when the proxy takes over. I think it's a good idea for parties to have an absence thread so that they can better co-ordinate for this.

I may try targeted PM's but what we really need is a House with members that are actively engaged with bill and motion debates.
    Yeah I guess, but then again you could ask why those people are MPs in the first place if they are persistently not being involved. It may not solve the problem totally, but if people are voting more then in turn they may be more inclined to get involved in discussion and debate within sub-forums and the House.

Ahh okay, I hadn't thought about those issues of proxy to be fair, we should use the summer as a big drive for members and activity as everyone is free, but that is more an issue for you guys at the top to try and push!

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like to know how many names were put forward for the mod :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    No but I'll be near there in September and I have to keep my game otherwise I fear something bad will happen... same with Golf :sad:
    You'll be in my territory! Watch your back

(Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    You'll be in my territory! Watch your back
    You try anything and I'll shoot you

Anyway is it a nice area? I have only been to Kingston Uni itself... didn't bother with the rest as I knew I was close to London which has great links to Paris and that is all that matters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur de lis)
    Hello everybody,

Just to let you know that we will be re-running nominations for moderator of the HoC/MUN as no suitable candidates were put forward in the previous round of nominations. Nominations will run from now until next Sunday evening, 3rd July. Please note, we will not be allowing self-nominations, or nominations for the current speaker or secretary general. Please see the Announcement for further details.

I'm sorry that progress has been slow but hopefully we will be able to appoint a new moderator shortly!
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I'd quite like to know how many names were put forward for the mod :holmes:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:

Anyway is it a nice area? I have only been to Kingston Uni itself... didn't bother with the rest as I knew I was close to London which has great links to Paris and that is all that matters
    Surbiton and Berrylands are nice. Kingston town centre is great but there are a few dodgy areas around it. I would steer well clear of the Cambridge Estate for instance. Then there's Tolworth which is next to Surbiton. Tolworth is pretty crap and unfortunately I live there.

Surbiton and Berrylands are nice. Kingston town centre is great but there are a few dodgy areas around it. I would steer well clear of the Cambridge Estate for instance. Then there's Tolworth which is next to Surbiton. Tolworth is pretty crap and unfortunately I live there.
    Well I'll steer clear of CE and Tolworth then what I remember of Kingston Town driving through it looked nice but I didn't really stop :sad:

Open day was a load of crap tbh as I only did the uni and left as I had other things to deal with I now wish I stayed and had a proper look around

ReputationRep:
    Well I'll steer clear of CE and Tolworth then what I remember of Kingston Town driving through it looked nice but I didn't really stop :sad:

Open day was a load of crap tbh as I only did the uni and left as I had other things to deal with I now wish I stayed and had a proper look around
    Kingston is lovely and is a really good place to shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Waste of time.
    Hmmm. I was thinking about the posts in Ask The Speaker where TCIT commented on the lack of responses to arguments raised in bill debates and he rightly said that the Speaker doesn't have the power to force cabinet members to answer criticisms of their bills. The Speaker shouldn't have that power, but I was thinking of ways in which we could encourage an environment where that problem just wouldn't happen. Perhaps the Speaker could highlight/tally posts which haven't been responded to, empowering the House to better hold the government/MP's to account.

(Original post by OrangeStu)
    Yeah I guess, but then again you could ask why those people are MPs in the first place if they are persistently not being involved. It may not solve the problem totally, but if people are voting more then in turn they may be more inclined to get involved in discussion and debate within sub-forums and the House.

Ahh okay, I hadn't thought about those issues of proxy to be fair, we should use the summer as a big drive for members and activity as everyone is free, but that is more an issue for you guys at the top to try and push!
    They're MP's because there's no-one to replace them and so there isn't really any competition. I guess if people are voting more they'll be visiting the forum more, but I don't know if it'll have a major effect on activity levels. It's all about attracting new active members and branching out into the wider site is instrumental to this. For starters, I want to hold some bill debates in public forums in July and August and perhaps make the PMQ's in UK Politics a monthly thing. It got more involvement from the wider site this time around.

Kingston is lovely and is a really good place to shop.
    Compared to Paris... I doubt it

Well I hope it is as I do love to shop... what man doesn't
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

If your into clubbing do not go into a place called Mcluskies

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately I don't think it's quite comparable to Paris, it's still nice though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Hmmm. I was thinking about the posts in Ask The Speaker where TCIT commented on the lack of responses to arguments raised in bill debates and he rightly said that the Speaker doesn't have the power to force cabinet members to answer criticisms of their bills. The Speaker shouldn't have that power, but I was thinking of ways in which we could encourage an environment where that problem just wouldn't happen. Perhaps the Speaker could highlight/tally posts which haven't been responded to, empowering the House to better hold the government/MP's to account.

They're MP's because there's no-one to replace them and so there isn't really any competition. I guess if people are voting more they'll be visiting the forum more, but I don't know if it'll have a major effect on activity levels. It's all about attracting new active members and branching out into the wider site is instrumental to this. For starters, I want to hold some bill debates in public forums in July and August and perhaps make the PMQ's in UK Politics a monthly thing. It got more involvement from the wider site this time around.
    I think you first point is a really good idea - a bill should be debated by at least the minister it falls under and there shadow counterpart. Although, you don't have the constitutional power, I don't think people would begrudge the Speaker the ability to hold MPs to account - and it is sort of inline with the job!

On activity, the only argument I can see for it is if you encourage people to vote more, than may feel more inclined to be involved in debating - just a hope really!

Branching out works, PMQs is a good one - and we always get activity around general election time, its just doing more events like this I would say, and try and get them site wide not just in debate. Steal the promo space on the homepage if they'll let you :P

ReputationRep:
    Tolworth is fine I work at Charrington Bowl :awesome:

Cambridge Estate is full of undesirables though

Kingston is crap its Ed Davey land and he's a slimy *******. If you really want somewhere a bit nice then you need to go 10 minutes south towards Epsom Epsom attracts a different kind of clientèle

You know Kingston is bad when they have security in McDonalds on a Friday night. No Kingston is a Surrey-wannabe town but fails Epsom and further out is the place to live

(Original post by Aj12)
    If your into clubbing do not go into a place called Mcluskies
    Why is it a gay bar? :sexface:
    Kingston is crap its Ed Davey land and he's a slimy *******. If you really want somewhere a bit nice then you need to go 10 minutes south towards Epsom Epsom attracts a different kind of clientèle

You know Kingston is bad when they have security in McDonalds on a Friday night. No Kingston is a Surrey-wannabe town but fails Epsom and further out is the place to live
    Isn't Epsom where you live? :holmes: think I'll steer clear to be frank
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Nope. Though there is one if thats what your into. Mccluskies is just a really crappy chavvy place. Cheap drinks though.

ReputationRep:

The bar is nicknames McSlutskies by my friends so you will probably like it to be honest

Epsom is the ****. I keep a tight ship there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Nope. Though there is one if thats what your into. Mccluskies is just a really crappy chavvy place. Cheap drinks though.
    McSlutkies :awesome:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    McSlutkies :awesome:
    Thats what we call it Have you been there or did you just think that up?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.