Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Well, I have worked before :p: Basically because of one side of my family dying within a few years of each other and leaving not one will between them, my immediate family got a lot of money planted on us. I'm sitting on about £130,000 in various places. In addition, because my Dad worked for the local council and killed himself when I was 11, my brother and I get his pension while we remain in full time education. For some reason (?) they extend this up to degree level (though not postgrad level). Thus, I have a source of income which allows me to live without needing a regular job. I'm currently looking for a job anyway, but I don't really need one for money since because of low-mid income single parent I get a fair amount of student loan and grants. Because I don't make a habit of buying caviare sandwiches I can sustain myself.

My CV needs a boost though. And obviously once I'm not a student any more this won't be a way to live.
    You can get caviar sandwiches :O
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, I have worked before :p: Basically because of one side of my family dying within a few years of each other and leaving not one will between them, my immediate family got a lot of money planted on us. I'm sitting on about £130,000 in various places. In addition, because my Dad worked for the local council and killed himself when I was 11, my brother and I get his pension while we remain in full time education. For some reason (?) they extend this up to degree level (though not postgrad level). Thus, I have a source of income which allows me to live without needing a regular job. I'm currently looking for a job anyway, but I don't really need one for money since because of low-mid income single parent I get a fair amount of student loan and grants. Because I don't make a habit of buying caviare sandwiches I can sustain myself.

My CV needs a boost though. And obviously once I'm not a student any more this won't be a way to live.
    I see, fair enough then.

You could just invest the 130k in a house and rent it out :yes:

I have like 5k coming when I'm 21 which will fund something or other small but that's a lot of money to me

(Original post by OrangeStu)
    Yeah you can get caviar sandwiches, they are yummy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I hope that when you say you are sitting on £130,000 in various places, that the money has been invested in various shares, assets and anything else that will make money.

Let the money work for you
    Yes, although I'm thinking of taking a good portion of the money that is invested in shares etc and putting it somewhere safer.
    (Original post by OrangeStu)
    I dunno, maybe? Would be pretty rank I think, but I've never eaten caviare.
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I see, fair enough then.

You could just invest the 130k in a house and rent it out :yes:

I have like 5k coming when I'm 21 which will fund something or other small but that's a lot of money to me
    Ah, good job, make sure you use it wisely

Yes, although I'm thinking of taking a good portion of the money that is invested in shares etc and putting it somewhere safer.
    Safer? you don't mean like a bank do you? :holmes: (Credit Suisse Wealth Management providing they allow you to open an account with £130k).
    How can you have never eaten caviar? it is the most exquisite food item I have ever eaten

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, maybe? Would be pretty rank I think, but I've never eaten caviare.Ah, good job, make sure you use it wisely
    What I'd say is, about sixty percent of investment funds in low risk, low return, thirty percent in medium risk, medium return and ten percent in high risk, high return.

That's what I'd do, a good, but relatively safe balance.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I dunno, maybe? Would be pretty rank I think, but I've never eaten caviare.Ah, good job, make sure you use it wisely
    Will probably go towards more education/travelling/learning to drive. Could be worse.

ReputationRep:

Safer? you don't mean like a bank do you? :holmes: (Credit Suisse Wealth Management providing they allow you to open an account with £130k).
    More like a building society on something like a four year period. Sadly government bonds aren't great value at the moment.
    (Original post by Nothos)
    What I'd say is, about sixty percent of investment funds in low risk, low return, thirty percent in medium risk, medium return and ten percent in high risk, high return.

That's what I'd do, a good, but relatively safe balance.
    Of what I have in stocks it's all medium risk. I have little interest in gambling it away to be honest. And low risk is what all of my other money is doing off the markets.

ReputationRep:
    How can you have never eaten caviar? it is the most exquisite food item I have ever eaten
    Because not everyone feels the need to buy exorbitantly expensive food to prove their worth, perhaps?

Even if I were a billionaire, I'd still be happy eating the cheap stuff I usually do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Will probably go towards more education/travelling/learning to drive. Could be worse.
    I suggest avoiding the former. Plenty of time for that when you've gotten money by knowing more.

ReputationRep:
    Caviar is a fishes ovaries... and tastes like salted crap.

The UK sells soft roe; milt, which is seminal fluid of fish... in other words, spermed eggs...

I wouldn't eat the sperm of a human, why the **** would I eat the sperm of a fish!

More like a building society on something like a four year period. Sadly government bonds aren't great value at the moment.
    Do you not get more returns through Wealth Management banks such as Credit Suisse or UBS as they invest for you?
    Because not everyone feels the need to buy exorbitantly expensive food to prove their worth, perhaps?

Even if I were a billionaire, I'd still be happy eating the cheap stuff I usually do.
    Even if you are poor, it is something to try before you die.

I want my own sturgeon farm
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I suggest avoiding the former. Plenty of time for that when you've gotten money by knowing more.
    It depends what exactly I want to do. I will definitely use some to see Europe and some to learn to drive, that still leaves a few grand which I may end up using for rent if I can't find a half decent job :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)

The UK sells soft roe; milt, which is seminal fluid of fish... in other words, spermed eggs...

I wouldn't eat the sperm of a human, why the **** would I eat the sperm of a fish!
    Erm, you've no doubt eaten the reproductive cells of chickens...

ReputationRep:
    Thunderstorms? Today's the best weather we've had here in weeks

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm foetus.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, you've no doubt eaten the reproductive cells of chickens...
    But the difference is, I didn't know about it. I wouldn't go into a shop and ask the cutest looking 18 year old if I could ingest his sperm and I have no intention of actively looking for the sperm of a ****ing fish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    Thunderstorms? Today's the best weather we've had here in weeks
    I know right - shame the thunder and lightning was so short lived...

(Original post by Teaddict)

Roe is ovaries, caviar is non-fertilised sturgeon roe... where you get sperm from is beyond me... or is my biology ****ed up? (I didn't do very well in Bio, not as well as Chem and Physics anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Y
    Me neither, a very weird idea though!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.