Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Go to London, wear gucci skinny jeans and say yah to everything whilst drinking ultra-skinny-latte from a vegetarian-only-gives-you-soya-milk café then. No reason to go all the way to Paris to be pretentious
    No but it seems to fit better in Paris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    But why? It's not like Paris has a thriving intellectual scene any more and the Left Bank is hardly awash with Sartre, Foucault, Derrida, and so on. Most of the really great thinkers have taken their American bonus cheques and rushed off to Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, or the other ones.

That is does
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    But why? It's not like Paris has a thriving intellectual scene any more and the Left Bank is hardly awash with Sartre, Foucault, Derrida, and so on. Most of the really great thinkers have taken their American bonus cheques and rushed off to Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, or the other ones.
    I would like a cheque, and to go to Columbia :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Take a bottle of expensive wine to a house party and refuse to open it until given a real wine glass, as my friend once did. You can be pretentious in Stoke. It's fun.

ReputationRep:
    I would like a cheque, and to go to Columbia :yes:
    But then I'd have to call you Simon Schama, you'd have to wander about in a leather jacket, sound outrageously camp but actually married with a wife and several kids, and bob your head like a jibber-jabber on speed.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Just found out a girl who has been on off with me for a while is now applying for a Masters at the same Uni we're at. Shameless flirting a gogo.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    But then I'd have to call you Simon Schama, you'd have to wander about in a leather jacket, sound outrageously camp but actually married with a wife and several kids, and bob your head like a jibber-jabber on speed.
    I can deal with that - he's done okay for himself
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13924720
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    X
    I see you've beaten my old records for number of updates :beard:

ReputationRep:
    So what's everyone thinking about the university 'reforms'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I see you've beaten my old records for number of updates :beard:
    Seriously? I don't think I've been Speaker longer than you have!

Btw, HoC Update is coming up... Whenever I get home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    So what's everyone thinking about the university 'reforms'?
    Yeah drugs, gotta have drugs.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Is there any reason for me to keep a big pile of The Economist and NS magazines?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Seriously? I don't think I've been Speaker longer than you have!

Btw, HoC Update is coming up... Whenever I get home.
    I'm not even sure how long I was speaker. *goes to wiki to check* I did 10 months the first time, 3 months my second time (according to wiki). You've done almost a year non stop. You've been speaker only two months less than I did, but you're doing it in one long, active given that you've overtaken my number of updates in a shorter period, straight. Indeed you've had the longest running single term of any speaker, 11 months!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I want Nick back as a Labour member. I don't remember the last time I knew one of his opinions on something :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Take a bottle of expensive wine to a house party and refuse to open it until given a real wine glass, as my friend once did. You can be pretentious in Stoke. It's fun.
    Last house party I went to I got massively drunk and ran around with a nail gun yelling "I am the destroyer of worlds" and stealing sausages.

You can't be pretentious in Slough

ReputationRep:
    Is there any reason for me to keep a big pile of The Economist and NS magazines?
    Well, toilet paper is pretty expensive these days...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    You can't be pretentious in Slough
    I dunno, people read the FT there.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, people read the FT there.
    Whenever I go to Tesco, the financial times rack is always full to the top. My corner shop doesn't even stock it.

The only people i see reading it in Slough are those who commute in from better places.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.