Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I don't think so at all. Edmund Burke, the philosophical father of modern Conservatism once said that a State without the means of some change is without the means of its conservation. I believe that such a sentiment can be applied to more than just the state.

Personally, I apply that sort of thinking to many institutions such as marriage. I believe marriage is important but one must recognise that times have changed and thus marriage, if it is to survive as an important institution, must change. That is why I fully support homosexual marriage - it's just modernising an old institution.

The same can be said of the Conservative Party. The problem, however, is that the Conservatives in charge aren't modernising Conservatism, rather they are following a path of centrist liberalism, Cameron is Blairite in his approach to politics and I don't like it one bit.
    There's no way you can 'modernise conservatism' without it becoming not conservatism. How can you advocate an ideology that says "stick with what's old" if it keeps changing itself? But maybe I'm looking at this wrong, which old institutions make up your conservative thinking, and why?

ReputationRep:
    Please rate...

:yy:

(Original post by Adorno)
    I call it idiotic myself because it makes a number of assumptions which aren't always very fair.
    Meh I'm good with it.

See, if you gave a tax allowance of £15,000 a year that would remove almost everyone from the valleys from the tax system since the average wage here is not much more / less than that. A wonderful idea and my dad would be a damned sight better off for it. But the question comes why the hell did you never do anything about it when you were an MP here? There was never a bill offering this and time after time you voted against bills I put forward which provided a great deal of support to the working class (in your meaning)?
    1. Because if I wrote a bill it would be on the basis of could I be bothered
    2. Before I was removed as an MP I was actually working on this (I had spare time)... I came across something about integrating taxation and welfare... I actually have a few links on my desktop still (mainly the flat tax links)

Also remember before the "reset" a higher tax allowance already existed did it not?

Meh... I would be willing to bet that aside from Adamrulez and perhaps TehCheeseEatingSurrenderMonkeys, I was the most Conservative member in the TSR Conservative Party. Many of them are more Libertarian by nature - especially Wednesday Salmon.
    You called

(just an FYI I am further right than most... I am US right not EU right... EU right is US left )

ReputationRep:
    1. Because if I wrote a bill it would be on the basis of could I be bothered
    2. Before I was removed as an MP I was actually working on this (I had spare time)... I came across something about integrating taxation and welfare... I actually have a few links on my desktop still (mainly the flat tax links)
    Well that's a pity.

Also remember before the "reset" a higher tax allowance already existed did it not?
    It was probably covered by the ****ing PAA just like personal car insurance, a pet monkey with a fez, and a dancing jibber-jabber that spoke French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    There's no way you can 'modernise conservatism' without it becoming not conservatism. How can you advocate an ideology that says "stick with what's old" if it keeps changing itself? But maybe I'm looking at this wrong, which old institutions make up your conservative thinking, and why?
    I repeat "A State without the means of some change is without the means of its conservation." Everything changes - Some ideologies propose radical change, whilst Conservatism would generally advocate evolutionary change. Now under that category I would include "changing with the times" - i.e. changing institutions to match the demographic. I.e. changing marriage to allow homosexuals to marry.

I would define Conservatism as the preservation of the best in society, sticking with proven traditions. I see no problem with keeping that. Some things change, that's life, that's to be expected, but just because things change doesn't mean we can't try and preserve them in some form; if that means modernising them, so be it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    You called

(just an FYI I am further right than most... I am US right not EU right... EU right is US left )
    You and Tea could set up the Republican party you wanted to make
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well that's a pity.

It was probably covered by the ****ing PAA just like personal car insurance, a pet monkey with a fez, and a dancing jibber-jabber that spoke French.
    :lol:

Please rate....

ReputationRep:
    You called

Haha

US right is ****ing mental... NO WELFARE THE POOR WILL HELP THEMSELVES...

Umm... right... well.... you're a nut.

Well that's a pity.
    Meh that's life... that's all people say. (sorry am listening to Frank Sinatra :rolleyes:)

Haha that was the stupidest TSR legislation I have ever seen. It just says someone should do something... wow ****ing wow, I am amazed. I will create a piece of legislation saying the Treasury should make everyone rich why mention how to ****ing achieve it

Oh sorry it did... the Treasury will develop a magic super formula... how detailed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    One flaw. I am not a Republican.

ReputationRep:
    Not the Republicans! Is it weird to be a US Democrat but a UK Tory? :P
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    One flaw. I am not a Republican.
    Call it something else.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by OrangeStu)
    No, not really :nope:

Nah brah, Republicism is a bad idea here... also negged you by mistake when I when to hit quote :sad: not that it makes a difference as my rep power is 0
    Haha

I agree, no welfare... okay minimal welfare given the chance I'd lower taxes, restrict welfare and completely reform the TSR Government
    No as that is how it translates from UK Tory to US Democrat... Republicism is even further right.

ReputationRep:
    Call it something else.
    The National Party.
    Peoples Party (there are many of these in Europe)

I would say most Tories are closer to the Democrats than the Republicans.

ReputationRep:
    No, not really :nope:
    Indeed. The Canadian system is easier to deal with I think:

Progressive Conservatives = Conservatives
    Liberal Party = New Labour / Orange Bookers
    New Democratic Party = Old Labour / Social Democrats

I never saw any bother with being an NDP sympathiser and a Labour voter here. I'm not sure I could bring myself to vote democrat in America unless I was in very particular states.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Nah brah, Republicism is a bad idea here... also negged you by mistake when I when to hit quote :sad: not that it makes a difference as my rep power is 0

I agree, no welfare... okay minimal welfare given the chance I'd lower taxes, restrict welfare and completely reform the TSR Government

No as that is how it translates from UK Tory to US Democrat... Republicism is even further right.
    Not the first time you've negged me (for 0) :lol:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The National Party.
    Peoples Party (there are many of these in Europe)

I would say most Tories are closer to the Democrats than the Republicans.
    Go for it

ReputationRep:
    Haha

I heard that Bachmann the other day:

"We should stop relying on the government and look to God"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Indeed. The Canadian system is easier to deal with I think:

Progressive Conservatives = Conservatives
    Liberal Party = New Labour / Orange Bookers
    New Democratic Party = Old Labour / Social Democrats

I never saw any bother with being an NDP sympathiser and a Labour voter here. I'm not sure I could bring myself to vote democrat in America unless I was in very particular states.
    I know embarrassingly little about Canadian politics actually, I really need to read up on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    I heard that Bachmann the other day:

"We should stop relying on the government and look to God"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry?
    Americans are still impressed by religion. So far, these Republican candidates are a joke.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.