Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Let's just say, based on past experience, Slough Grammar will have plenty of scabs...
    It wouldn't surprise me - that part of the world has never been a very strong area for trades unionism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Doesn't more than £6bn go into the countries agriculture plus other local projects with EU sponsorship... it amounts to more than £6bn
    No TehFrance. The £6bn figure is the difference between our net contributions. The United Kingdom has a net cost of £57bn whilst the French have a net cost of £51bn. You are £6bn better off than us, and our figure already includes our rebate.

What this means is that the average UK citizen has to pay €130 more than the average French citizen - how is that fair? It isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    It wouldn't surprise me - that part of the world has never been a very strong area for trades unionism.
    What you also need to consider is that my politics teacher from there was one of the candidates sacked by Michael Howard in 2005 and wrote a book calling the EU a Papist Plot :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    What you also need to consider is that my politics teacher from there was one of the candidates sacked by Michael Howard in 2005 and wrote a book calling the EU a Papist Plot :ninja:
    A papist plot dominated by the Protestant nations of Europe? He sounds like the perfect candidate for some kind of European Tea Party.

(Original post by Teaddict)
    No TehFrance. The £6bn figure is the difference between our net contributions. The United Kingdom has a net cost of £57bn whilst the French have a net cost of £51bn. You are £6bn better off than us, and our figure already includes our rebate.

What this means is that the average UK citizen has to pay €130 more than the average French citizen - how is that fair? It isn't.
    Oh really? :holmes: are you sure that you don't get that back via the EU funding Britain receives?

130€ difference... I'd blame it on whoever negotiated how much of a rebate/contributions Britain pays not another country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    A papist plot dominated by the Protestant nations of Europe? He sounds like the perfect candidate for some kind of European Tea Party.
    The EU flag represents the halo of the blessed mother, ergo it must be a Catholic plot. Are you blind? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? :holmes: are you sure that you don't get that back via the EU funding Britain receives?

130€ difference... I'd blame it on whoever negotiated how much of a rebate/contributions Britain pays not another country.
    You aren't paying attention TehFrance. I am talking about NET COSTS. That means the difference between contributions and expenditure in the countries.

The United Kingdom contributions around 103bn to the European Union whilst receiving 46bn in return. The French contribute around 140bn and receive 89 in return. That means the UK NET contribution to the European Union is 57bn whilst the French NET contribution is 51bn.

That means there is a 6bn difference between what the UK pays NET and what the French pay NET. In terms of per capita, the UK pays 937 per capita whilst the French pay 805.

So in terms of NET contributions, the French pay less than the United Kingdom even though the French have a higher population and a higher GDP (nominal) than the United Kingdom.

So at MINIMUM the UK should receive an extra 6bn to make us even in terms of NET contributions, but as you have a higher population and higher GDP, it should be greater than that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    :moon:

Room hunting time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just looked up my old school and college both are open.

ReputationRep:
    How do you find out if your schools are open/closed?

ReputationRep:
    I really wish my Uni had offered French Politics as an option. Iv had two first year lectures on it and it's intensely interesting, but I know so little. Seems to me the nationalists have the best chance they have in a while.

ReputationRep:
    The EU flag represents the halo of the blessed mother, ergo it must be a Catholic plot. Are you blind? :rolleyes:
    No but I am short-sighted.

You aren't paying attention TehFrance. I am talking about NET COSTS. That means the difference between contributions and expenditure in the countries.

The United Kingdom contributions around 103bn to the European Union whilst receiving 46bn in return. The French contribute around 140bn and receive 89 in return. That means the UK NET contribution to the European Union is 57bn whilst the French NET contribution is 51bn.

That means there is a 6bn difference between what the UK pays NET and what the French pay NET. In terms of per capita, the UK pays 937 per capita whilst the French pay 805.

So in terms of NET contributions, the French pay less than the United Kingdom even though the French have a higher population and a higher GDP (nominal) than the United Kingdom.

So at MINIMUM the UK should receive an extra 6bn to make us even in terms of NET contributions, but as you have a higher population and higher GDP, it should be greater than that.
    Okay....
    How do you find out if your schools are open/closed?
    Go on the school/college site? mine old school is closed (they also have a new website which looks a lot nice, more 2010 than 1990's :lol:) and my college is closed anyway as they had teacher training for today and tomorrow... like that is happening :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Okay....
    Glad you agree that the UK should receive a larger rebate.

Glad you agree that the UK should receive a larger rebate.
    Although you got that opinion from nowhere, I kind of do but I still stand by with the amount of EU funded projects that happen in this country should off-set the amount you spend and don't get back in the rebate.

You should talk to your MP about this, not me as I can't give you the rebate

In other news, the Royalist have won me over... I see the relevance of Royals now

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ

^^ Sounds like a plan.

ReputationRep:
    Although you got that opinion from nowhere, I kind of do but I still stand by with the amount of EU funded projects that happen in this country should off-set the amount you spend and don't get back in the rebate.

You should talk to your MP about this, not me as I can't give you the rebate

In other news, the Royalist have won me over... I see the relevance of Royals now
    Why MP is a Europhile - he has voted to give more powers to the European Union. Bloody Lib Dems - hopefully he will lose his seat come the next election.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ

^^ Sounds like a plan.
    Completely agree.

Also hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree.

Also hilarious.
    Haha that's great.

Fail! Fail! Fail! Fail! Ahhhh! **** my life...

ReputationRep:
    Just been watching some youtube clips about voice actors in certain cartoons I like... haha voice actors are such strange people.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.