Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did we make out once? Whatever happened to the most recent meet plans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)

:yy:
    What the hell? :confused:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Adorno)
    These days, it would mean the bishops would not sit in the House of Lords and that church and state would be separated in England as it is in Wales and Ireland (it basically is in Scotland though they found a different solution to their religious ills). Otherwise it would mean relatively little since the Church is so far out of most people's lives that it has no meaning however as a point of principle the issue of having an established Church in England remains.
    Fair enough. I can't really disagree with that then.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, how long have I internet-ly known you? I believe when I first met you in the House you still muff dived occasionally / frequently Which is to say, yeah, I got your humour ... hence the image posted in reply.
    Still do! :fyi:

That's probably it, then. I didn't really get the relevance of the image.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea, I'm not a constitutional lawyer. My personal view on the British set up is that it should be a) federal b) republican and c) unicameral. However, that is not a view that is very widely held anywhere.
    So how would a federal system work with only one house? Do we still have members of the federation like England, Scotland, Wales etc who have their own "houses" and then these members sit in the UK "house"?

ReputationRep:
    > Unicameral federalism

Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    You know Paddy has a thing for your a-minor chords.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

I think Nick started a new thread yesterday so it should be knocking around, unless he deleted it for some reason.

(Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    What the hell? :confused:
    What? It's awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Still do! :fyi:

That's probably it, then. I didn't really get the relevance of the image.
    ******s and Peas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Why? We don't elect our Prime Minister, that's not really a problem either...
    The people of whitney + the members of the conservative party did.

Did I mention and/or criticise the Commission for being unelected? Usually when I attack the Commission it's on the basis of it being a useless and bureaucratic institution.
    Not you personally, but whenever right wingers criticise the EU, a lack of democracy within the commission/council is almost always bought up. Even though i am pro-EU, I agree. I think people that legislate should be elected.

Depends who the dictator is
    Well, I can't argue with that. But I think that legitimacy forms a crucial part of good government. At the moment the house of lords has no legitimacy, it needs some.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I think Nick started a new thread yesterday so it should be knocking around, unless he deleted it for some reason.
    It's here.

ReputationRep:
    ******s and Peas.
    Oh. Not a dish with which I'm particularly familiar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    So how would a federal system work with only one house? Do we still have members of the federation like England, Scotland, Wales etc who have their own "houses" and then these members sit in the UK "house"?
    In a system whereby the majority of bread and butter issues are decided at the local level (i.e. in England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland), that leaves only those issues which bring us together that need deciding in a federal parliament namely, defence and security and so forth. It's slightly more complicated than that since England and Wales share the same legal system but you get the idea.

The unicameral House would be elected by PR (or STV whichever is the better) using electoral regions maintaining an individual candidate rather than Party List as is prevalent in the Additional Member System we have in Wales and Scotland. I say this because the single chamber needs to be reflective of the variety of views held in the UK without being out of touch. The "cabinet" would have roles for each of the four First Ministers with the role of Prime Minister of the UK being either the leader of the largest party in the House or elected separately as in the Knesset. That latter idea is, however, terrible and should be junked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Oh. Not a dish with which I'm particularly familiar.
    My mam used to eat them as a treat but I could never stand the flavour or smell. That said I eat haggis happily so probably would be able to stomach them now. It's been nearly 11 years since mam died so my sense of the smell or flavour of ******s is long since passed. Anyway, how goes things?

ReputationRep:
    In a system whereby the majority of bread and butter issues are decided at the local level (i.e. in England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland), that leaves only those issues which bring us together that need deciding in a federal parliament namely, defence and security and so forth. It's slightly more complicated than that since England and Wales share the same legal system but you get the idea.

The unicameral House would be elected by PR (or STV whichever is the better) using electoral regions maintaining an individual candidate rather than Party List as is prevalent in the Additional Member System we have in Wales and Scotland. I say this because the single chamber needs to be reflective of the variety of views held in the UK without being out of touch. The "cabinet" would have roles for each of the four First Ministers with the role of Prime Minister of the UK being either the leader of the largest party in the House or elected separately as in the Knesset. That latter idea is, however, terrible and should be junked.
    Sounds interesting. Personally I'm a fan of bicameral legislatures elected in a vaguely similar manner to the German houses but this seems like it would work.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I quite like ******s (the food). I've not eaten them since I found out what they were mind. I also used to like black pudding.

ReputationRep:
    ******s and Peas.
    On St Davids day someone organised a lunch type thing with Welsh food. There were ******s and Glamorgan Sausage and other bits and bobs. Some of it was nice in terms of taste but I can't say the smell was particuarly nice.

ReputationRep:

So wouldn't it be easier just to have the same members from the regional parliaments sit in the "big House"? Would each region be responsible for their own budgets and tax raising etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    The people of whitney + the members of the conservative party did.
    Not at all. The people of whitney elected an MP, not a Prime Minister.

Not you personally, but whenever right wingers criticise the EU, a lack of democracy within the commission/council is almost always bought up. Even though i am pro-EU, I agree. I think people that legislate should be elected.
    It's actually slightly counter productive to talk about it being elected because for it to be elected would require more political integration...

Well, I can't argue with that. But I think that legitimacy forms a crucial part of good government. At the moment the house of lords has no legitimacy, it needs some.
    It has legitimacy in that the appointments commission creates peerages for those most deserving. As you seem to be satisfied with one constituency electing the Prime Minister, it gains legitimacy from the fact they are appointed by the Prime Minister.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.