Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk IV watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hacking the families of dead soldiers. Stupid question but how illegal is this?

Also I heard the NOTW was giving money to cops for stories? :facepalm2:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I just (unintentionely) came out to my family. Only my mum (and TSR) knew of my bisexuality before, but I doubt my family will mistake the inplications of my facebook posts today. Oh well ^.^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Also I heard the NOTW was giving money to cops for stories? :facepalm2:
    In the words of the former Downing Street Press Secretary, Andy Coulson, "we paid the police within the remit of the law". There is no such remit.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by robinson999)
    wow this phone hacking is getting worst

Honestly what other phones could they hack? It's like they've purposely targetted the people that will cause the most public outrage.
    Every time I hear the news there is a new part of the saga (and I wathch news 24 a lot).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Adorno)
    In the words of the former Downing Street Press Secretary, Andy Coulson, "we paid the police within the remit of the law". There is no such remit.
    I'm not sure which is worse. That they paid Police or that the Police took the cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Thank you. :beer:
    Well done on the SG as well, I voted for you :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I'm getting sick of people telling me I should be bisexual more quietly. Many people now have told me I should stop answering questions. I answered things like "do you like it up the bum" honestly (although only one person has, I certainly enjoyed it) and now people take the piss. Oh well I guess.
    Right... so... do you take it up the bum :holmes:

I only have two comments

1. Who the **** cares? If you are bisexual good for you - if anyone has a problem they can tie an anchor to their boots and jump into the ****ing Atlantic.
    2. More into guys or girls :holmes:

I just (unintentionely) came out to my family. Only my mum (and TSR) knew of my bisexuality before, but I doubt my family will mistake the inplications of my facebook posts today. Oh well ^.^
    Yeah you don't shout it off the roof tops :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I'm not sure which is worse. That they paid Police or that the Police took the cash.
    The latter on every ground. This could be as bad as the widespread corruption in the policeforce during the 1960s and 1970s when bribes and payments were made not just by the press but by organised gangsters too. But then the latter description holds for News Int.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    wow this phone hacking is getting worst

Honestly what other phones could they hack? It's like they've purposely targetted the people that will cause the most public outrage.
    Yeah, I'm sick of the NotW. To get my point across I left them a message on my voicemail.

I saw the freudian slip in it too :p:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The latter on every ground. This could be as bad as the widespread corruption in the policeforce during the 1960s and 1970s when bribes and payments were made not just by the press but by organised gangsters too. But then the latter description holds for News Int.
    A very worrying possibility. Can't help but wonder what else goes on in the police, even though I know a number of officers at different levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    A very worrying possibility. Can't help but wonder what else goes on in the police, even though I know a number of officers at different levels
    Well you know all that paperwork people complain about hampering the police? It was originally introduced to ensure that police officers had things to occupy them at all times when on duty as a means of starving corruption of the thing it needs to survive: bored, lazy police officers. Unfortunately because we live in an era of greed and ready money not even those protocols can prevent corruption on a widespread scale.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Right... so... do you take it up the bum :holmes:

I only have two comments

1. Who the **** cares? If you are bisexual good for you - if anyone has a problem they can tie an anchor to their boots and jump into the ****ing Atlantic.
    2. More into guys or girls :holmes:

Yeah you don't shout it off the roof tops :rolleyes:
    1. exactly

2. Girls, but tbh it's close.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well you know all that paperwork people complain about hampering the police? It was originally introduced to ensure that police officers had things to occupy them at all times when on duty as a means of starving corruption of the thing it needs to survive: bored, lazy police officers. Unfortunately because we live in an era of greed and ready money not even those protocols can prevent corruption on a widespread scale.
    Some of the idiots they hire on hardly help. Some of the incidents at the student protests are pretty good evidence of that.

Are there any plans for any kind of government review into the police's role in this?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    So according to my profile, I have 4 visitor messages. Shouldn't they have appeared in my notifications at some point?

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad that I kind of like the music video to Swagger Jagger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Some of the idiots they hire on hardly help. Some of the incidents at the student protests are pretty good evidence of that.
    Well a lot of them are ex-army, which says an awful lot about the nature of our police force today. Again this is a feature of modern policing and has no parallel in modern times. When my grampa was a police officer in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s the police was pretty much a civilian force with cadets and a hierarchy like that. You were given a house and you did your 25 years of service and then left the force. Now it's far more professional but far less Professional. If you see what I mean?

Are there any plans for any kind of government review into the police's role in this?
    Psh. I'm not sure government in this current world of ours is competent...

ReputationRep:
    OMFG VIRGIN MEDIA INTERNET IS PISSING ME OFF!!!

1. exactly

2. Girls, but tbh it's close.
    Fair enough. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you :holmes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well a lot of them are ex-army, which says an awful lot about the nature of our police force today. Again this is a feature of modern policing and has no parallel in modern times. When my grampa was a police officer in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s the police was pretty much a civilian force with cadets and a hierarchy like that. You were given a house and you did your 25 years of service and then left the force. Now it's far more professional but far less Professional. If you see what I mean?

Psh. I'm not sure government in this current world of ours is competent...
    Yeah I know what you mean. Going from the Army to the Police can hardly be an easy transition. They require completely different mind sets.

You really hate the Tories don't you. Do you actually like anything the current government has done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yeah I know what you mean. Going from the Army to the Police can hardly be an easy transition. They require completely different mind sets.
    It's not just that. Your average private isn't trained or competent to police anything and the police force in the United Kingdom was not founded to be a military organisation. Alas that is what it is slowly becoming. Since the 1980s when the government turned the police force into a militia to batter striking miners (regardless of what we think about the strikes and this is not the place to worry about that particular issue) the police has become increasingly militarised. Army tactics, army personnel, and army uniforms. It's unsettling.

You really hate the Tories don't you. Do you actually like anything the current government has done?
    In truth, no I don't because what I see this government doing is making use of the economic difficulties to a) dismantle what is left of postwar social democracy and b) to restore to full health neo-liberal capitalism which is so destructive to social justice and equality that it frightens me what happens when the pillars of social democracy that have protected so many for so long are no longer there.

ReputationRep:
    And also Libya.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.