Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Out of my entire secondary school year 1 person went to Oxbridge. Out of my entire sixth form college year 6 people went. I apparently went to one of the best state colleges in the area.
    My old secondary school hasn't had anyone go to Oxbridge ever.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by robinson999)
    i wonder what they are

1 person is 100% more than my sixth form, from those that applied and went to uni from my 6th form 3 of us went to Essex which was the highest placed uni people went to in my year, shocking really
    mine was meant to be one of the best, and it was on ofsted special measures, a very typical inter city london school in a work class area, failing

don't see anything changing
    I'd be interested in what other people say. The college seemed really happy about that many students being accepted. This was out of a year group of around 700

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    My old secondary school hasn't had anyone go to Oxbridge ever.
    We used to laugh about it as she was Asian. Ah stereotypes and casual racism. I'm so going to hell...

Anyone else find the name Rebekah really weird? Do you think the nurse spelt the name wrong on the birth certificate and they just cba to change it?

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of people at my school stayed in Edinburgh. I think one person maybe went to Cambridge a few years back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I'd be interested in what other people say. The college seemed really happy about that many students being accepted. This was out of a year group of around 700
    700 wow although its a college so they are bigger, we had like 30+, they would be happy as its a ok number, not everyone can go

only 6 people did A2 bio, they didn't run A-level chemistry, as we never had a chemistry teacher, and the year before a class of 14 everyone failed, they had physics it was like 6 people
    while media and that had a class of like 20
    thats more shocking

these something very wrong there, you had no choice you either went to another bad 6th form, or travelled a good distance
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    700 wow although its a college so they are bigger, we had like 30+, they would be happy as its a ok number, not everyone can go

only 6 people did A2 bio, they didn't run A-level chemistry, as we never had a chemistry teacher, and the year before a class of 14 everyone failed, they had physics it was like 6 people
    while media and that had a class of like 20
    thats more shocking

these something very wrong there, you had no choice you either went to another bad 6th form, or travelled a good distance
    The biggest departments were English and Science at my college. Weird everyone did English, media was about average. Though when I finished all the media teachers left for various reasons. My two Film studies teachers were pregnant so was another media teacher and the one male media teacher left as well.

Wonder if there was a connection between him and all the pregnancies...

ReputationRep:
    i wonder what they are
    Well rather than produce a thesis on the subject suffice it to say that the following are just a portion (and in no particular order of priority):

1. Promotion of Oxford and Cambridge as the be-all and end-all of elite higher education institutions in Great Britain negates the fact that acceptance rates of state-school educated pupils at the leading universities is relatively high and has never, in fact, been so high. In other words, people from disadvantaged backgrounds are getting high-quality degrees. They just happen to be from Edinburgh and Reading rather than Oxford and Cambridge.

2. Perception of Oxford and Cambridge as 'not for the likes of us' puts many, many people off applying to them. Instead bright people elect to apply to good universities in London or in the major provincial cities because those offer much of the rest that people want from a university experience: clubbing, the music scene, different types of people to meet, and so on.

3. Simply put course choice has changed. Oxford and Cambridge offer a very traditional curriculum. Yet even for a historian or a medic the choice is complex: apply to Oxford as a medic and you face a 6 year course and a portion have to swap to a different medical school half-way thorugh because of a lack of space in the clinical. Instead you might apply to medical schools elsewhere in Britain because they are just as good, you get the degree in 5 years and are guaranteed the place there all the way through. Historians too face decisions about what type of history to study. In short, there are as many reasons not to go academically as there are to apply!

4. Oxford and Cambridge are after people who, for the most part, are able to cope with the pressured environment of having to do 1500 - 2000 word essays every week. Over the course of every term, for example, I produced 16,000 words. The kind of person that can do that whilst balancing having a life is less likely to be produced in a state school that's for certain but that's just one style of education and it is not necessarily the best one. Oxford is a market for academics, high-grade professionals, and politicians because those are the kinds of environments that require the kind of person that deals with never standing still. Do we want a whole nation of kids like that?

5. Oxford and Cambridge appeal largely to English students from the South and so results are inevitably skewed towards certain schools. Scots have reason not to go there as do people from Wales and Northern Ireland. Likewise people from the North who can travel easily to the Scottish ancients like Glasgow and Edinburgh and Aberdeen or to the Victorian institutions like Durham and Manchester are just as well served staying put as they are travelling south to Oxford and Cambridge. The same with folks from London: why go to Oxford when you can go to UCL, ICL, or KCL? Things have moved on.

ReputationRep:
    Hear, hear.

ReputationRep:
    +1

ReputationRep:
    Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The biggest departments were English and Science at my college. Weird everyone did English, media was about average. Though when I finished all the media teachers left for various reasons. My two Film studies teachers were pregnant so was another media teacher and the one male media teacher left as well.

Wonder if there was a connection between him and all the pregnancies...
    haha would be a bit random if there was

(Original post by Adorno)
    Well rather than produce a thesis on the subject suffice it to say that the following are just a portion (and in no particular order of priority):

1. Promotion of Oxford and Cambridge as the be-all and end-all of elite higher education institutions in Great Britain negates the fact that acceptance rates of state-school educated pupils at the leading universities is relatively high and has never, in fact, been so high. In other words, people from disadvantaged backgrounds are getting high-quality degrees. They just happen to be from Edinburgh and Reading rather than Oxford and Cambridge.

2. Perception of Oxford and Cambridge as 'not for the likes of us' puts many, many people off applying to them. Instead bright people elect to apply to good universities in London or in the major provincial cities because those offer much of the rest that people want from a university experience: clubbing, the music scene, different types of people to meet, and so on.

3. Simply put course choice has changed. Oxford and Cambridge offer a very traditional curriculum. Yet even for a historian or a medic the choice is complex: apply to Oxford as a medic and you face a 6 year course and a portion have to swap to a different medical school half-way thorugh because of a lack of space in the clinical. Instead you might apply to medical schools elsewhere in Britain because they are just as good, you get the degree in 5 years and are guaranteed the place there all the way through. Historians too face decisions about what type of history to study. In short, there are as many reasons not to go academically as there are to apply!

4. Oxford and Cambridge are after people who, for the most part, are able to cope with the pressured environment of having to do 1500 - 2000 word essays every week. Over the course of every term, for example, I produced 16,000 words. The kind of person that can do that whilst balancing having a life is less likely to be produced in a state school that's for certain but that's just one style of education and it is not necessarily the best one. Oxford is a market for academics, high-grade professionals, and politicians because those are the kinds of environments that require the kind of person that deals with never standing still. Do we want a whole nation of kids like that?

5. Oxford and Cambridge appeal largely to English students from the South and so results are inevitably skewed towards certain schools. Scots have reason not to go there as do people from Wales and Northern Ireland. Likewise people from the North who can travel easily to the Scottish ancients like Glasgow and Edinburgh and Aberdeen or to the Victorian institutions like Durham and Manchester are just as well served staying put as they are travelling south to Oxford and Cambridge. The same with folks from London: why go to Oxford when you can go to UCL, ICL, or KCL? Things have moved on.
    I see I see
    even some of the better unis, that reports also says they stand a better chance of getting into more selective universities, you can fit to some of the reasons why

Cambridge and Oxford are over-rated imo. Personally I'd never apply to them as if I had the results I'd go to the US instead but as it turns out I am going to Kingston and then going to try and get into HEC... :sad: I am useless... although at least I don't go on about how I am predicted A*s yet I missed the * and only got an A like the majority of people do on TSR

Anyone studying for the GMAT 4 years before they have to take it? as I am, need a head start :lol: :ninja:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Cambridge and Oxford are over-rated imo. Personally I'd never apply to them as if I had the results I'd go to the US instead but as it turns out I am going to Kingston and then going to try and get into HEC... :sad: I am useless... although at least I don't go on about how I am predicted A*s yet I missed the * and only got an A like the majority of people do on TSR

Anyone studying for the GMAT 4 years before they have to take it? as I am, need a head start :lol: :ninja:
    HEC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    HEC?
    http://www.hec.edu/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh right thanks

(Original post by Aj12)
    HEC?
    Yes HEC, for postgrad...

Already planning 4 years ahead :lol: but I need to if I am to get into IB :cool:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes HEC, for postgrad...

Already planning 4 years ahead :lol: but I need to if I am to get into IB :cool:
    That you do. Had I planned 4 years ahead I think I would be in a very different place to where I am now.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh more bankers.

(Original post by Aj12)
    That you do. Had I planned 4 years ahead I think I would be in a very different place to where I am now.
    It is recommended that one does prepare in advance, ideally I'd go to a London Uni for Economics as they have more sway across the pond but unfortunately those unis do not have business track like HEC, EDHEC or other EU unis :sad:

Still as long as I end up with a job that pays well I will be happy

(Original post by Adorno)
    Urgh more bankers.
    Not a fan?

ReputationRep:
    Not a fan?
    There is incredible talent in this world and yet so much of it is slaved to moving magic numbers from different columns for absolutely no real benefit to society.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.