Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Immigrants come to Britain and take jobs that could otherwise go to British workers

^^ Is that xenophobic?
    In the context of frenchy it's a xenophobic generalisation, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    In the context of frenchy it's a xenophobic generalisation, yes.
    Is the comment I made xenophobic?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1701844

What's the bet that the following comment will get me negged heavily from the resent ****wits of TSR:

Although like most I will agree with you that racism is abhorrent, I must take some issue with how you have worded your comments. You have, in points four and five made it quite clear you are referring to white people being racist to ethnic minorities - I must point out that anyone of any race is capable of racism, not just white people.

I'd like to clarify that I am not against immigrants coming to Britain (or France) and taking up jobs that they are qualified to do. What I am against are those that come to Britain and expect to sponge of the state... And they are allowed to :eek:

Unless they faced actual hardships which could of ended in their death or something then I don't see why any country should allow anyone in if they don't help the economy and build on the countries culture/identity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Britain won't be out for a good while yet. Why aren't you allowed to JSA it up? some immigrant can so why not you?
    Because of the savings. I'm sure something will turn up eventually, it's just I have a very well developed set of skills for precisely those fields that are easily cut back on. You wouldn't hear cries "oh we need to save jobs in museums, universities, or heritage bodies" for obvious reasons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Because of the savings. I'm sure something will turn up eventually, it's just I have a very well developed set of skills for precisely those fields that are easily cut back on. You wouldn't hear cries "oh we need to save jobs in museums, universities, or heritage bodies" for obvious reasons
    With respect Adorno, I think the government of the United Kingdom would be quite foolish to fail to properly fund the cultural heritage of the United Kingdom. For too long have governments of every creed been reckless in failing in their duty to protect Britain's cultural heritage; it is our cultural heritage that has forged us as a nation and should be protected.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    could of
    How many times do I have to say it's "could have"?! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Once more.

Always once more.

ReputationRep:
    The world has a new country

ReputationRep:
    With respect Adorno, I think the government of the United Kingdom would be quite foolish to fail to properly fund the cultural heritage of the United Kingdom. For too long have governments of every creed been reckless in failing in their duty to protect Britain's cultural heritage; it is our cultural heritage that has forged us as a nation and should be protected.

:cool:
    Oh of course but the government assumes that everything can be done by a handful of people and since those handfuls of people won't retire because they are on a cushty number there are no spaces for young people like me to come through the system. Essentially the heritage sector is standing still awaiting private investment which won't come because where's the return? We have statutory insistence on recording and listing buildings - we were one of the first countries in the world to even have such legislation with the Ancient Monuments Protection Act 1882 - but in recent times that has gone by the wayside in favour of big public projects which aim at making a ton of money for certain people. Museums and things of that sort are in a sorry state they really are but there is no political will to do something about them. For every IWM there's 5 or 6 local museums that really need revamping and updating but oh no, let's plough money into the london "attractions".

ReputationRep:
    Oh of course but the government assumes that everything can be done by a handful of people and since those handfuls of people won't retire because they are on a cushty number there are no spaces for young people like me to come through the system. Essentially the heritage sector is standing still awaiting private investment which won't come because where's the return? We have statutory insistence on recording and listing buildings - we were one of the first countries in the world to even have such legislation with the Ancient Monuments Protection Act 1882 - but in recent times that has gone by the wayside in favour of big public projects which aim at making a ton of money for certain people. Museums and things of that sort are in a sorry state they really are but there is no political will to do something about them. For every IWM there's 5 or 6 local museums that really need revamping and updating but oh no, let's plough money into the london "attractions".
    One of course should appreciate that budgets are constrained; we wouldn't be in today's predicament if the government of old was more constrained in it's spending. Cultural provisions are always ignored, which is an absolute shame really - cultural heritage and national identity are important and should be treated as such.

ReputationRep:
    So on Thursday, Drogue posts on his wall about walking into a shelf in the morning, wondering why everyone was staring at him funny on the tube to work and then only realising afterwards when he looked in the mirror that his forehead was bleeding. Friday morning, I think I'm half asleep when I involuntarily scratch my forehead so viciously, I wake up and am bleeding and then I had to deal with people staring at me strange on the tube to work. Strange.... :holmes:

Something else in the public sector? I'm working in it now on placement (admittedly in IT), but I think I'd think I'd want to stay in it after I graduate.

ReputationRep:
    One of course should appreciate that budgets are constrained; we wouldn't be in today's predicament if the government of old was more constrained in it's spending. Cultural provisions are always ignored, which is an absolute shame really - cultural heritage and national identity are important and should be treated as such.
    They may be but, of course, you can pay a person who is new in the civil service much less than a person who has been there 20 years and reached the upper levels of the pay scale. I mean I appreciate you want expertise in these fields but at the same time newer is cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    They may be but, of course, you can pay a person who is new in the civil service much less than a person who has been there 20 years and reached the upper levels of the pay scale. I mean I appreciate you want expertise in these fields but at the same time newer is cheaper.
    Well you want a mix don't you? You want some of the dinosaurs around so as to pass on their experience and expertise - perhaps have them as the "trainers" to new civil servants. But that isn't to say new individuals is a bad thing - with each new person comes a new way of looking at something, a new process, a new thought, a new idea - that's worth something as well.

You need the mixture of old experience and new ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Something else in the public sector? I'm working in it now on placement (admittedly in IT), but I think I'd think I'd want to stay in it after I graduate.
    For 60 miles around me there are about 10 public sector jobs going and to get them you need to be either a teacher or a social worker.

ReputationRep:
    For 60 miles around me there are about 10 public sector jobs going and to get them you need to be either a teacher or a social worker.
    Damn. You'd think I'd be more aware of this, given I go to uni in the city with one of the worst unemployment statistics in the country along with somewhere in Wales I think. In the one month I've been back, I've already regained the London-centric attitude you dislike so much. Hmm..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Damn. You'd think I'd be more aware of this, given I go to uni in the city with one of the worst unemployment statistics in the country along with somewhere in Wales I think. In the one month I've been back, I've already regained the London-centric attitude you dislike so much. Hmm..
    Well it's pretty bad here. Apparently this benefit reform the government is pushing through will leave 30,000 people here without any kind of help and absolutely no jobs to go to. There are scores of people chasing every vacancy that arises and the more I read about what life was like here in the thirties the more i see parallels. Populations are shrinking as people leave to find work in England. This means that those left behind begin to lose forms of employment because the only people willing to literally set up shop here are charity shops, tescos or asda, and discount bargin shops like poundland. Alright the unemployment rate where I live in the 1930s was 60% and in a few locations over the mountain it reached a peak of 93% and we're nowhere near that but honestly and truthfully youth unemployment around here is staggeringly high for a country that is apparently "creating jobs". ****ing London.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched a film on BBC1 with Nicholas Cage. I forget the name but it was about arms dealers and at the end it had in writing, "despite the fact the arm traders still exist today, the five biggest arm dealers are the US, UK, France, China and Russia. Summed it up well.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of War.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    despite the fact the arm traders still exist today, the five biggest arm dealers are the US, UK, France, China and Russia. Summed it up well.

and?

Also, for the record, Germany has a bigger arms industry than we do (in terms of exports)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.