Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Inner nerd activated. Rangers are Rangers, and thus wouldn't take much for them to get information back North. But then Tolkein's elves are magic. And he gives them ever more magic powers when he needs to make them do stuff.
    Clearly Wilzman has this fantasy stuff down to a tea, I was about to say that the presence of the rangers at Helms Deep would have made more convaluted the characterisation and plotting of that novel. We had already encountered, as readers (and viewers), the elves of Rivendell along with Haldir so the reader does not have to make too many concessions to their presence at the fortress. Contrary to the rangers who remain something of a mystery right through Lord of the Rings - a plot device necessary in the creation of Aragorn but nevertheless problematic in the scenario that you envisage for that point in the story.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Wilzman)
    The only Ranger present at Helm's Deep was Aragorn. As awesome as he is, he wouldn't have been able to get word back to them in the few days they had before Saruman's forces arrived. Even if was able to, he was under orders to remain with Theoden until Gandalf returned.

I agree, Rangers would have been cool though.

If they make the Silmarillion/Children of Hurin into films then you might. Doubt they will though.
    I know :yes:

I doubt it as well but it isn't impossible.

Can't wait for 30 or so years time when they re-make the films :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Clearly Wilzman has this fantasy stuff down to a tea, I was about to say that the presence of the rangers at Helms Deep would have made more convaluted the characterisation and plotting of that novel. We had already encountered, as readers (and viewers), the elves of Rivendell along with Haldir so the reader does not have to make too many concessions to their presence at the fortress. Contrary to the rangers who remain something of a mystery right through Lord of the Rings - a plot device necessary in the creation of Aragorn but nevertheless problematic in the scenario that you envisage for that point in the story.
    I read LOTR and the Silmarillion a few times when I was younger. For some reason the most useless stuff sticks in my head (like the above), and the most useful stuff does not (like equilibrium laws in chemistry for example...).

ReputationRep:
    LOTR is awesome!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So much better than Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I know :yes:

I doubt it as well but it isn't impossible.

Can't wait for 30 or so years time when they re-make the films :p:
    Don't say that.

ReputationRep:
    So much better than Harry Potter.
    I quite liked the last book of HP actually. Nothing compared to Tolkien though.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I must confess to quite liking the look of 2011 in terms of films: Tintin, X-Men: First Class, On the Road.

I only got around to watching the most recent Harry Potter film yesterday. It was not bad really. Superior to all the recent ones bar Prisoner of Azkaban which is my favourite of the lot.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Don't say that.

(Original post by Wilzman)
    I quite liked the last book of HP actually. Nothing compared to Tolkien though.
    I don't mind (quite liked) HP it just isn't as good.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hmm, I must confess to quite liking the look of 2011 in terms of films: Tintin, X-Men: First Class, On the Road.

I only got around to watching the most recent Harry Potter film yesterday. It was not bad really. Superior to all the recent ones bar Prisoner of Azkaban which is my favourite of the lot.
    New X men will be cool.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wonder how many X men films there will be in the end. Three trilogies and a handfull of individual films maybe.

ReputationRep:
    New X men will be cool.
    I hope so. It'll probably be the most mainstream film I watch in the first half of this year having seen "The Eagle" and "Howl" recently both of which are enjoyable for different reasons and for the fact I watch both in a cinema of about 6 people which was great. Not so great for Odeon but great for me nonetheless!

ReputationRep:
    I hate Daniel Radcliff

The only thing I didn't like about LoTR's... why did Mordor just collapse on itself? what was that about.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I hope so. It'll probably be the most mainstream film I watch in the first half of this year having seen "The Eagle" and "Howl" recently both of which are enjoyable for different reasons and for the fact I watch both in a cinema of about 6 people which was great. Not so great for Odeon but great for me nonetheless!
    I like the films so far. I barely ever go to the cinema but watch hundreds of films a year - often old ones though, not sure how many I watch that are out that year. Depends when they are out on DVD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I hate Daniel Radcliff

The only thing I didn't like about LoTR's... why did Mordor just collapse on itself? what was that about.
    Because it was the physical manifestation of the evil of Sauron and once he had been destroyed (along with the one ring which bound his evil to the earth) it fell apart as well. Also, cool visual effects.

ReputationRep:
    This is less fantasy and more applying realism to Tolkein novels. the sad fact is Tolkein was not actually the greatest writer when it comes down to it. His books in general got to be quite convoluted. The presence of the elves is certainly simpler, it's just unnecessary. Why make such a large change, to make yanks understand it more? It was always a good part of the man's rise thread.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Oh. We have Thor this year as well which may be interesting for the so inclined.

ReputationRep:
    Because it was the physical manifestation of the evil of Sauron and once he had been destroyed (along with the one ring which bound his evil to the earth) it fell apart as well. Also, cool visual effects.
    See, my history might not be brilliant, but I don't remember that happening to Germany

I didn't like how the tower collapsed either... they could have improved that. silly film.

ReputationRep:
    I like the films so far. I barely ever go to the cinema but watch hundreds of films a year - often old ones though, not sure how many I watch that are out that year. Depends when they are out on DVD.
    I'm pretty much the same. The cinema is frigging expensive in this country and I tend to watch the non-hollywood stuff anyway so have to find an arthouse cinema to watch them in. Fortunately the Watershed in Bristol fulfils my needs quite happily but it's still not that cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Thor looks interesting, if a bit of a reboot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.